Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Leasing new EV car, do I really need a home charger, quotes I have had to install one is well over £1000+ I need a lot of extra work doing to my electrics. We do not do a lot of miles PA probably less than 10K. We have Lidl and Aldi charging points within 3 miles. so what do you think.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on getting an EV. It will be useful to know car model as range and charging speeds will make a difference. Generally my opinion is you need either home, work or residential (on street) charging. Others on here manage, but perhaps have more time and/or patience than me...

Upload photos of your electrics so we can see what you have. It can be cheaper to get some pre-work done by local electrician and then get a basic OLEV install. You also have more control.

Bear in mind that if your electrics aren't decent that when you come to sell a surveyor will spot that. I negotiated money off a property as first job was going to be getting my spark to replace the CU! Also, in future buyers will look more favourably on houses with a fitted charging point.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Depends on the car range and the type of journeys you do regularly.

What is the charging rate of the public charge points? Can you rely on them being available to charge the car when you need to? How much does the public charger charge per kWh?

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
I forgot to mention costs... Lidl rapid chargers are 23p kWh whereas at home you could charge overnight at 5p kwh on Octopus Go. Over 3 years (30K miles) the savings could be upto £1500 depending on car and journeys!

Don't even think about charging on a 7kW post unless at work or you can walk home - having owned EVs for over 7 years I can assure you it won't work.

Reactions: cah197 and DrEskimo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome and congratulations on getting an EV. It will be useful to know car model as range and charging speeds will make a difference. Generally my opinion is you need either home, work or residential (on street) charging. Others on here manage, but perhaps have more time and/or patience than me...

Upload photos of your electrics so we can see what you have. It can be cheaper to get some pre-work done by local electrician and then get a basic OLEV install. You also have more control.

Bear in mind that if your electrics aren't decent that when you come to sell a surveyor will spot that. I negotiated money off a property as first job was going to be getting my spark to replace the CU! Also, in future buyers will look more favourably on houses with a fitted charging point.
Hi
Not signed for car yet.

We have 2 consumer units (2nd one installed 2011 when we had extension) original 1986 both are circuit breakers not fuse boards. Meter was changed in 2014

This is quote I have received.

Cost to Install 32 amp Rowlec Smart Ev charger: [none tethered unit] £650.00 including Vat
If you require a tethered unit [unit with built-in cable lead] then the cost will be: £800.00 including Vat
Upgrade Extension consumer unit for 8 way consumer unit £410.00 including Vat

Other additional works which may be required
Earth bonding to the gas pipe £60.00 may already be present?
Earth bonding to the water pipe £120.00 may already be present?
Upgrade Extension consumer unit for 8 way consumer unit £410.00

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Self Install via an Electrician and a basic purchased charger (which need only cost £290) is definitely an option worth considering.

Your electrician will probably advise splitting the home electrics downstream of the meter, via a separate isolation switch, upstream of your distribution board aka consumer unit. That way you will not be stressing old wires and can put in place proper protection with descrimination.

You need to start making a load list, get your sparky to help, and asking your DNO about your supply fuse and earthing arrangement. It all takes time, which is why the charging companies arnt cheap.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Just saw your reply. All the more reason to not touch existing CUs and route EVSE directly from a meter supply isolation switch via its own dedicated supply protection. Devil is in the detail of cable pulling and about of room in your meter cupboard. A local sparky will be better placed and cheaper than a national charging company.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
As above. But also, if you "need a lot of extra work doing to my electrics" then that's not really part of the cost of owning the EV, but part of the cost of owning the property. Hence, if you intend moving soon it may not be worth doing, although like @proddick I'd suggest that a future purchaser might reduce the price they pay accordingly.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Does the £650 include the OLEV grant? If so it's a lot and must be a very difficult install. As @freddym says the devil's in the details.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Just saw your reply. All the more reason to not touch existing CUs and route EVSE directly from a meter supply isolation switch via its own dedicated supply protection. Devil is in the detail of cable pulling and about of room in your meter cupboard. A local sparky will be better placed and cheaper than a national charging company.
I agree that is often the best approach, but as the OP has an older (1980s) CU then a new high integrity one with RCBOs for house and DP RCD for electric car charging may be a better long term investment. We did consider that, but the location of our house CU made it impractical.

I recommend the OP gets quotes from local electricians to do that part. They are allowed to visit. If they can send photos we can provide some basic suggestions.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
The actual fixed wall mounted charger, a QUBEV 18th edition version with dc leakage monitoring, stats at £250 as per attached link

The rest of your costs will be labour, cabling and some switchgear.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
What about sticking with the 13 amp granny lead? That should be fine.

You do need a good quality 13 amp socket though (newish, good quality, not full of dirt) to make sure that it is OK passing 10 amps continuously.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
The actual fixed wall mounted charger, a QUBEV 18th edition version with dc leakage monitoring, stats at £250 as per attached link

The rest of your costs will be labour, cabling and some switchgear.
Cost is actually £300 including VAT and you still need to add cost of decent RCBO (not their cheap Chinese one). Also, it isn't tethered which I would strongly recommend to OP or allow for cost of dedicated Type 2 cable.

Personally I wouldn't fit a non-smart unit in 2020 as the future is dynamic pricing and significant savings are possible with the right smart charger.

My first suggestion is EO Charging - works well with Octopus but but not sure if it supports other suppliers?

Probably better is the Rolec HomeSmart EV charger with EV Energy app which works with Octopus Go and other tariffs. I am not a fan of Rolec aesthetics but the app does look good - we use it with Tesla.

Ohme also have a solution and Octopus are still doing deal on the commando version. Not a neat solution but if put inside garage (with lead outside) it probably isn't too bad. Still needs RCD, earth rods, etc to comply with regs.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
What about sticking with the 13 amp granny lead? That should be fine.

You do need a good quality 13 amp socket though (newish, good quality, not full of dirt) to make sure that it is OK passing 10 amps continuously.
Wow, that isn't an opinion I share. I had to use one once at a (5 year old) rental property on garage socket and forgot to check plug for a while. When I unplugged to take on trip the 13A plug had melted on bottom - it could have been worse.

The granny is handy as a backup in case the proper charging point breaks and useful for charging at family (hence name) and friends (ideally at 6A) but personally I think a poor solution for regular use.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
The new Crabtree with RCBOs is presumably the extension and looks good. The older one isn't actually safe as has missing blanking plates.

I wouldn't be keen on having three CUs, so personally I would look to replace the elderly one with a new CU using RCBOs for house circuits and a dedicated Type B (or Type A with external DC protection) RCD for the car charging. Perhaps you could get quote from electrician who did the Crabtree?

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
The new Crabtree with RCBOs is presumably the extension and looks good. The older one isn't actually safe as has missing blanking plates.

I wouldn't be keen on having three CUs, so personally I would look to replace the elderly one with a new CU using RCBOs for house circuits and a dedicated Type B (or Type A with external DC protection) RCD for the car charging. Perhaps you could get quote from electrician who did the Crabtree?
If I was OP, I'd avoid having the EVSE installation design being done by remote internet forum discussion.

There are issues such as layout, existing cabling spare capacity, overall installation spare capacity, accessibility for pulling new cables internally etc etc. These all require some kind of site survey, even one conducted by video, to come up with a good solution.

Best get a local sparky in to have a look.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
With the caveat that they are qualified in EVSE installation and are up to date on the 2020 amendments.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
With the caveat that they are qualified in EVSE installation and are up to date on the 2020 amendments.
This is not any such requirement. A sparky has to be up to date with 2020 and any other amendments in force.

There is no such thing as "qualified in EVSE installation" other than manufacturers specific training courses which is entirely a commercial issue, not a technical qualification THING at all.

If you ae saying that the sparky has some prior experience in EVSE installations, that is entirely a different issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi All thanks for comments. I think I will go down the local electrician route . I think the company that gave me the Quote for £1800ish was quoting worst case scenario. On those figures it would take a considerable time and mileage to recoup that initial layout. They also probably did not want to do the extra work so gave me a high figure to decline there quote.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts