Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
In am a vegan and therefore want a totally leather free interior. I have been doing research contacting manufacturers. My findings are:

• Nissan Leaf - leather steering wheel
  • BMW i3 - leather steering wheel
  • Vauxhall cars - leather steering wheel
  • Peugeot cars - leather steering wheel
  • Hyundai cars - leather steering wheel
  • Citroen cars - leather steering wheel
  • Mini electric - leather steering wheel
The only cars I have found that don't have leather is a lower spec Zoe (iconic) and the Tesla. Neither of which am too keen on. Second one due to the price.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Kind regards,

Charlie

·
Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
477 Posts
MB EQS is the only thing that springs to mind. Prepare to open your wallet for that though.

Unfortunately I appreciate you are vegan, but your not eating the car. You will almost certainly have animal products in virtually every other area of your life that you can't get away from or do anything about, right down to oil, coal and gas which are all in effect full of animal products, albeit from millions of years ago.

Leather is in effect a bi-product too, cows aren't generally bred just for thier hides.

I suspect this will open a large can of worms. (no worms were harmed in making this post).

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
Maybe the OP should just eat a wafer thin ham sandwich?! 😂

I think the Volvo C40 has a leather free interior, but I think that’s quite pricey as well.

I think the VW ID range all have leather steering wheels as well, although they’re supposed to be going leather free this year sometime, or at least have the option.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
I’m fine with people being vegan, but then they probably shouldn’t be fussy eaters.
My mother in law is Buddhist, so vegetarian rather than vegan, but we used to have conversations about how far down the rabbit hole of avoiding animal products you can go. One point I remember debating many years ago was how to classify the billions of of gut bacteria we all have and rely upon to survive. The dead bodies of those creatures make up a fair proportion of our waste, billions of them give up their lives each day so we can live.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Its possible to have the steering wheel reupholstered if your desperate.

Reactions: Naturetech

·
Banned
Ioniq 5
26,262 Posts
My mother in law is Buddhist, so vegetarian rather than vegan, but we used to have conversations about how far down the rabbit hole of avoiding animal products you can go. One point I remember debating many years ago was how to classify the billions of of gut bacteria we all have and rely upon to survive. The dead bodies of those creatures make up a fair proportion of our waste, billions of them give up their lives each day so we can live.
Maybe we should just let cattle die naturally?

Release some bears and wolves to pick off the weak ones in drawn out and painful death. Like nature demands.

Then we can use their hides with a clear conscience.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
Hello
In am a vegan and therefore want a totally leather free interior. I have been doing research contacting manufacturers. My findings are:

The only cars I have found that don't have leather is a lower spec Zoe (iconic) and the Tesla. Neither of which am too keen on. Second one due to the price.

Kind regards,

Charlie
Just have it recovered.
What are your shoes made of?

Where did you get the list from because it's not accurate?

My 2020 Leaf's steering wheel was not leather covered.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Maybe we should just let cattle die naturally?

Release some to pick off the weak ones in drawn out and painful death. Like nature demands.

Then we can use their hides with a clear conscience.
Alas, bears and wolves tend to make an awful mess of the hide whilst trying to get to the flesh underneath !

Reactions: Rbrian

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Just have it recovered.
I think the moral issue there is that part of a dead animal has already been used and then discarded. We all have different views and beliefs but my own view (as someone who rarely eats meat now) is that it's better to make use of and recycle everything rather than let it go to waste. I have the same view about myself, I won't be cremated (far too much energy usage) but will be put in the ground in woodland, where the plants, trees and other soil organisms can use the nutrients. That then creates another debate around whether those plants are really then partly animal, if they have used nutrients from a body.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello

Kind regards,

Charlie
Are you sure of the cars with leather as most customer services /PR departments don’t have much clue if asked about anything.
I have the MG ZS EV and do not think it has a real leather steering wheel as pleather (like Tesla) is used throughout the car.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
772 Posts
Hello

Kind regards,

Charlie
Volvo C40 is leather free

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,583 Posts
MG ZS brochure says "leather style" upholstery but leather steering wheel.

As I recall, the MG 5 Estate is the same. I would contact MG directly. The brochure might well be wrong. They often are.

I'll comeback to this thread of I can think of any others. I would prefer a vegetarian interior but they are hard to find.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Are you sure of the cars with leather as most customer services /PR departments don’t have much clue if asked about anything.
I have the MG ZS EV and do not think it has a real leather steering wheel as pleather (like Tesla) is used throughout the car.

This is a good point, as very often PU "leather" is misdescribed as leather. The use of the word "leather" to describe anything that looks or feels vaguely like real leather seems to be widespread.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is a good point, as very often PU "leather" is misdescribed as leather. The use of the word "leather" to describe anything that looks or feels vaguely like real leather seems to be widespread.
Doesn't the same principle apply to the word "burger"?

Anyway, I clearly recall when I was considering a BMW i3 that they made an awful lot of fuss about how it is made from eco friendly recycled materials. So I am a bit surprised about it having a leather steering wheel which it does indeed appear to have! Not that I'm a vegan.

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,583 Posts
It is all but impossible to order an i3. There may be a dealer with allocation but I was unable to find one.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts