Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, We are off on Hols for 5 weeks in January and will be leaving ion at home. Unfortunatey it just exceeds hand luggage size. Peugeot seem to think it best to leave it fully charged, but some posts about Leafs/Leaves seem to suggest leaving at 50% would be better. Has anyone got any experience or advice on this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Peugeot seem to think it best to leave it fully charged
Having watched the most interesting lecture on Li-ion batteries (posted on another thread) this definitely did not recommend leaving Li-Ion batteries for any length of time in a fully charged state. I can't remember the exact cell voltage he referred to but degradation was accelerated if a battery was left above ~4.0V and the degradation increased with temperature.

This was a long lecture (just over an hour [I was off sick so had the time to watch all of it]) but was very interesting. In summary leave your battery <50% SOC (and as cold as possible) and you will extend the life of your battery.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Bu
Having watched the most interesting lecture on Li-ion batteries (posted on another thread) this definitely did not recommend leaving Li-Ion batteries for any length of time in a fully charged state. I can't remember the exact cell voltage he referred to but degradation was accelerated if a battery was left above ~4.0V and the degradation increased with temperature.

This was a long lecture (just over an hour [I was off sick so had the time to watch all of it]) but was very interesting. In summary leave your battery <50% SOC (and as cold as possible) and you will extend the life of your battery.
But definitely do NOT leave it fully discharged for that length of time - it bricks the batteries making them completely unusable!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Everything I have seen suggests to me that to leave if full or empty is not a good choice.

I would have thought that 40-50% was the best option but this is just my opinion based on my general knowledge of other Li Ion battery tech.

·
Registered
571 Posts
With my car 'storage mode' limits the charge to ~25%. If you leave it at 40% and allow for some reduction in charge level over the 5 weeks I would expect you might get back to a car with around 20% charge which is ideal.

Definitely do not leave it fully charged!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Left ion on 10 bars at end of december. Chickened out on leaving it lower in the end. I will post the bars remaining when we get back in february.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Our Leaf is currently in for a battery repair after it was left at 100% charge for over 3 months during a warranty repair in a Nissan owned repair shop!
It now has 4 "bad cells" confirmed by Nissan's own leak down battery test. It used to be one of the best battery A/H capacities for its MY at 63+ A/H and only months after the above treatment it had fallen to one of the worst I know of at 58A/H for its year and mileage.
It will be interesting to see what they do as all cells will have been affected by this even though only some have started to fall below test spec.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,886 Posts
Definitely do not leave fully charged. Anywhere around 50% is just fine and dandy. You might spot a slight drop in SOC after 5 weeks.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick update ion was left charged to 10 of 16 bars or 60% for 5 1/2 weeks and now shows 10 of 16 bars so no change. Oh and 12v still ok car started fine. So all good probably should have left it at much lower charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting discussion. My family and I are moving to Malawi this June. The i-miev is coming with us!! We'll be sending it in the container in April and won't see it for 8 weeks.
It will be leaving at 10 degrees and arriving in around 25 degrees. I will need to drive it home around 10 miles from the clearing house in Blantyre.
I guess I should leave it a little over half a charge?
I was actually more concerned about the 12v battery but it will be easy to bring a spare!
Should I leave the 12v connected?
I will keep everyone posted as the little EV becomes the first in that part of the world. Should be good for sneaking up on elephants!

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
2,580 Posts
I hope the electric supply is more reliable than Kenya or Gambia! You could be waiting aaround all day for the power to come back on and when it does and you plug in the imev you'll be responsive for another brown out.
Unless of course you are taking it to use your own free solar and do a run into town every couple of days.

The one thing you really need to think about though. .. What if it breaks? Not like fixing a 1995 Toyota. I've seen wood used to repair suspension on a nissan urvan. Lol can't imagine it will be easy going on those electricals either. Heat destroys batteries. I'm not normally a nasty sayer but. .. are you sure you want to do that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am doing it as an experiment more than anything else really. Temperature: Blantyre can get to 35 degree but then so can the UK! Mostly temperatures are in the mid 20's. Repairs; cross that bridge......I am an engineer by original trade so have a hands-on approach to most things. Could always DHL replacement parts...expensive but possible. I am costing up an array of solar panels yes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts