Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
I'm currently with Ovo and they state that I'm free to leave within 49 days of the end contract date.
Does anyone know if the date they class as leaving is when I contact my new supplier or actually switch over?

Thanks in advance.
It will be your actual leaving date.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Usually when you switch, with the cooling off periods etc it takes about 6 weeks for you to go on supply with your new provider. You should be ok to ask to switch once you're 6-7 weeks away from your release date. If they won't charge once you're 49 days or less, then you could apply to Octopus before that; perhaps just be absolutely sure Ovo won't charge you once you're in that 49 day window.

· Premium Member
2014 Model S
10,091 Posts
It depends.... Funnily enough I'm just leaving Ovo to join Octopus. It has taken about 3 weeks. The final bill takes a while after you've switched and some are very slow. Avro took months to sort out a final bill for example. Ovo's renewal was poor but the market has shifted to being expensive so I decided on Octopus as they have no leaving fees so I can see what happens. It's still a fixed tariff too. I also ended up with a 10% credit with Ovo roughly and they keep trying to jack the payments to cover extra usage even though I use exactly the same year in and year out somehow. They were also trying to jack payments to cover a shortfall which after winter is actually an overpayment. It's annoying as a lot of them pull the same nonsense.

Started it via Cheap energy Club which is the Martin Lewis comparison and switching system. I too wouldn't start the switch until inside the 49 days.

Should be switched over this week. Octopus have been a bit useless as they didn't send a meter reading request email but I tried the online portal as I was with them before.

· Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,237 Posts
leaving Ovo to join Octopus. It has taken about 3 weeks. The final bill takes a while after you've switched and some are very slow.
You're not kidding. Mine took 3 months for them to tell Octopus what my final reading was. OVO are apalling. The customer service is a joke. All they want is your money in thier account. I had over £300 in my account when they wanted to increase my DD at the beginning of Summer! I told them I'm supposed to bank with my bank and not them and switched to Octopus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.