Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be away for a few weeks soon, and wanted to understand what I should do (or not do) so that my Ioniq (2021) doesn't have a flat 12V battery.

IIRC there's a mode or setting that allows the car to automatically top up the 12V aux battery from the HV battery pack. Is this likely to be sufficient for this amount of time? I will charge the HV pack up to about 80% SOC before leaving.

(I do have a 12V booster battery pack if it's needed when I return.)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
607 Posts
If the battery saver is enabled then it should charge the 12v roughly every 24 hours from the traction battery which should be fine as long as there are no vampire drain issues. That's what mine does.
Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Peter, I will check that setting. I've got a feeling it's on by default...

I'm hoping that 80% charge on a 38kW HV battery is more than enough to cover 6 weeks of 12V battery drain.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,744 Posts
I'll be away for a few weeks soon, and wanted to understand what I should do (or not do) so that my Ioniq (2021) doesn't have a flat 12V battery.
Much depends on where the car will be stored during this extended period. If it is somewhere remote and away from mains power then setting the car's auto maintainer system will probably be OK. But if there is power available then a cheapish trickle charger will ensure that there is no problem, even if left for a very long time. Something like this will monitor the situation constantly and switch on and off as required until you return. They can be left under the bonnet with all connections protected from the weather as long as the power supply from the mains to the parking place can accept such a trailing cable.

MOTOPOWER MP00205A-UK 12V 800mA Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer-UK Plug : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much depends on where the car will be stored during this extended period. If it is somewhere remote and away from mains power then setting the car's auto maintainer system will probably be OK. But if there is power available then a cheapish trickle charger will ensure that there is no problem, even if left for a very long time. Something like this will monitor the situation constantly and switch on and off as required until you return. They can be left under the bonnet with all connections protected from the weather as long as the power supply from the mains to the parking place can accept such a trailing cable.

MOTOPOWER MP00205A-UK 12V 800mA Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer-UK Plug : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive
It'll be in a private car park, away from the mains. So I have to rely on the aux battery saver system. (Which I have found is NOT mentioned in the manual's Index - it's covered briefly somewhere in the front of the book.)

I'll report back how well it fared when I return in August... (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird - I found the setting, but it's greyed out. :unsure: So there's no way to see if it's actually switched on, nor which of the two modes is set for it.

It's a new car (2 months old), so perhaps Hyundai have made it a default and unswitchoffable?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I started a thread on this very subject last year prior to enjoying a 2 week break in Corfu! As you say: nothing much about it in the manual, but the kind and knowledgeable folk on this forum advised me of what I should do. All advised me not to charge up to 80%(!!!) 50-60% max was advised. In the event, I noted 51% and came back two weeks later with absolutely no loss(!) and she fired up promptly. My main worry was that previous cars I'd owned (ICE) had theft alarms that would use power while on, so in a couple of cases the 12volt would die after two weeks... There was nothing in the manual (Hyundai) informing me 'how to turn the alarm off.' It was mentioned to me that the 12 vote is monitored and charged up as necessary by the HV.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Weird - I found the setting, but it's greyed out. :unsure: So there's no way to see if it's actually switched on, nor which of the two modes is set for it.

It's a new car (2 months old), so perhaps Hyundai have made it a default and unswitchoffable?
That's odd. My car was delivered in February this year. Auxiliary Battery Saver+ can be enabled/disabled with a tickbox in User Settings -> Other.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's odd. My car was delivered in February this year. Auxiliary Battery Saver+ can be enabled/disabled with a tickbox in User Settings -> Other.
That's what I was expecting to see, with a sub-setting for either Automatic or Cycling mode (from memory, the manual is now back in the glove box).

Oh well, more when I get back in a few weeks' time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts