Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience leaving the e-Niro (or any of its siblings like the Kona or Soul) for two weeks unconnected to a charger? I imagine this will be less of a problem than an iCE car but what's the reality? What was the state of the battery after a fortnight of sitting there obediently waiting?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Over lockdown my Kona sat for 5 weeks without driving or charging. I think it dropped by 1 or 2% over that time, presumably much of that from maintaining the 12V battery, which is 20 min daily.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It should be fine as long as you don't leave any accessories running, such as a dashcam. The car will maintain the auxiliary battery if the battery saver is on, using a tiny percentage of the energy in the traction battery.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over lockdown my Kona sat for 5 weeks without driving or charging. I think it dropped by 1 or 2% over that time, presumably much of that from maintaining the 12V battery, which is 20 min daily.
That's really good to hear. One thing is the theory, but it is another thing to actually try it. Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should be fine as long as you don't leave any accessories running, such as a dashcam. The car will maintain the auxiliary battery if the battery saver is on, using a tiny percentage of the energy in the traction battery.
Good point. I believe that the battery thing is turned on. I will check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. Though I would like to know that I can leave it just at any parking.
I have used them a couple of times and found it with a quick Google search. It was very convenient and reasonably priced for our PHEV against normal off-site parking but instead of parking off-site and getting the shuttle bus, they meet you at airport terminal drop-off, take the vehicle and then meet you outside arrivals on the road with a full charge. All in all, five minutes from pulling up at the airport to being in the check-in hall.

·
Registered
68 Posts
During March to May I didn't drive for 8 weeks and the main battery lost only 1%. BM2 battery monitor showed the 12V battery was ok. Battery saver switched on of course. That's my experience. Other people have not been so fortunate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
During March to May I didn't drive for 8 weeks and the main battery lost only 1%. BM2 battery monitor showed the 12V battery was ok. Battery saver switched on of course. That's my experience. Other people have not been so fortunate.
I have looked in the Owner's Manual for details of the battery saver, but I haven't been able to find anything about it. How do I ensure that I have the battery saver turned on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The MY19 e-niro owner's manual is badly written, with a poor index. Many references to petrol engines etc. You want User settings / Other features / Aux. Battery Saver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The MY19 e-niro owner's manual is badly written, with a poor index. Many references to petrol engines etc. You want User settings / Other features / Aux. Battery Saver.
Many thanks for your help, I learn more on this site than I ever gain from reading the manual.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another factor to consider is that battery chemistry, when sitting idle for long (weeks? months? not really sure), is happiest between 40 - 60%.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, good point. I left mine at 60% at the start of the 5 weeks and I recall it was 58% at the end. I would be just as comfortable with starting at 70% and would do that if I was not present to monitor the situation. Figure the SoC is factored by 0.95 to get the actual SoC, so 70% is really 66%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts