Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What do you do for parking when flying?

• Park in cheap parking even though they park the car themselves?

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Park in self-parking even though it is often more expensive?

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Don't care? Use the cheapest and if they ding it then they pay for repairs?

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Use valet parking and trust they will know how to drive the car?

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Don't take the EV because I can't trust the car parking or can't get charging?

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Generally don't take the car when flying whether an EV or ICE?

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Something else... please specify.

Votes: 8 13.8%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have gone on holiday a few times since getting our EV over 3 years ago and what we do with the car at the airport has always been an issue for me.

Many of the cheaper holiday parking locations require you to leave your keys and allow then to park up the car themselves and get it out from storage when your return.

The problem I have had until now is that few people have driven an EV. How would it be treated? Would they even be able to drive it?

I am sure that the people parking up the cars have experience of driving all kinds of cars so I expect they will work it out but nevertheless it has still been an area of concern and so I generally park in the more expensive car parks where I self-park and take the keys with me.

What do you do?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I'm a bit of a green, so do what i can to avoid flying.

That said I had a to fly to Belfast for work a few months ago. I left my EV with a cheap parking place where they park the car for you.

I told the guy at the desk it was electric so not to expect an engine noise, but that otherwise it was just an automatic. And guess what? Absolutely fine. It's just a car isn't it!? :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since the Smart is a Daimler product, I can park it free of charge at the airport, courtesy of the Mercedes Benz dealer, for as long as I need. Very convenient.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Renault do a free collect and drop off so when service was booked i just left card in car and went out , assuming driver would be familiar with the model.
When he dropped it back he was very excited that it was the first one he had driven (bless) but he worked it out and was impressed. :cool:
(The wife managed okay too ;))

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
I always get a lift from a friend or neighbour

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Right next door to purple parking in southall 10 minutes from Heathrow is a unit which has around 20 electric cars parked up outside, mostly g wizz models, but there are others. Reckon a deal could be struck up there. The unit might actually be part of the pp setup as it seemed to be in the same compound. I noticed it this week when I was off to Malawi. I took the Prius this time rather than risk the i miev, but will investigate this possibility next time I fly out of Heathrow.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good topic - one close to my heart.

I fly a LOT for work, usually from Heathrow Terminal 5; 2 or 3 times a week. Mostly same day or overnight trips with the occasional week long trip. My company pays for the parking.

I live 24 miles from T5. I can get there on pure EV in the PHEV.

If I am on a same day or overnight, then I will plug in and charge in the T5 Short stay (if you book in advance it is not that expensive, sometimes cheaper than business or long-stay). I am the only car I have ever seen plugged in there, and until I got my car I noticed they were always empty - hence I don't feel too bad about occupying a charger for up to 24 hours. That way I get to drive home for free!

However on Sunday I will leave for a week long trip to the US, returning on the Friday. I can not leave the car plugged in for a week, that would be wrong in my opinion. So I will just park up and then drive home on ICE.

Hence I think there is a business opportunity here as increasingly people have EVs, PHEVs etc for a valet parking service that will return your car fully charged. I would use it every time, as I'm sure some here would.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tell me more!! :)
which airport?
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, probably a bit out of your way. I don't know if this is something MB does elsewhere, but their local dealer generates a lot of customer loyalty by offering it.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Tesla mentioned that they are planning to offer free park & charge @ their service centres for owners, including airport drop-off and collection.

Until that happens, I will be self parking and keeping my keys. Have heard crazy stories about some UK airport valet parking setups using public streets for overflow parking, thrashing the cars, etc.

Speaking of park & charge... would love to see lots of 3kw charging posts in airport car parks. Probably the best places for destination charging, and they could easily add a fee to the parking cost for this service.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It depends where I'm flying from..I have parked at both of the Belfast Airports (in the ICE) as public transport to get to them is a PITA to use..for convenience,Dublin works out better for Me for International flights,as I can get a taxi to the Bus Station in Enniskillen,get on a bus there and be dropped off at the Terminal..Arriving back on a redeye flight,underslept and Jetlagged then driving 3 hours home is not pleasant..A plus with Dublin departures is that you clear US Customs and immigration In Ireland,avoiding that stress on the other end..You effectively arrive as if off a domestic flight,pick up the bags and go..

·
Registered
47 Posts
We go away early next year and I can imagine that if we don't have a lift from the parental people then we will be taking my dirty diesel to the airport. We've always used the park and ride type of car parks when we've driven ourselves but @supermegamonkee isnt a fan of them to be honest.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am travelling from Terminal 5 in a few weeks and shocked to see I can't charge in the main long stay. I see the NCP for terms 1-3 have EV charging just not ncp for 4-5. Am thinking about getting an UBER taxi to transfer me from the NCP to the terminal. No ice option for me! Or fast charging twice once in and once out. The trip is 74 miles each way which would be perfect if I could just charge up at the airport.... Any other ideas?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Depends on where he lives - Heston is past the airport into London and not easy to turn around after to get back out, Beaconsfield may work if you live up the M40. Or park in an NCP for 1-3 and then use the free Heathrow Express to get to T5.

I charge in the ShortStay at T5 quite often (PodPoint, Level 2, near Business parking Pods) if I am just going for the day or less than 24 hours - bays are always empty and company pays the parking!

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Depends on where he lives - Heston is past the airport into London and not easy to turn around after to get back out, Beaconsfield may work if you live up the M40. Or park in an NCP for 1-3 and then use the free Heathrow Express to get to T5.

I charge in the ShortStay at T5 quite often (PodPoint, Level 2, near Business parking Pods) if I am just going for the day or less than 24 hours - bays are always empty and company pays the parking!
Yup, I would go for T1-3 parking myself. Heston was just the closest rapid I could think of ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts