Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this UK 3-pin Type 2 charger on Amazon Prime but there are no reviews.

The advantage over others for me is it's price and length (at 21ft = 6.4m) which is longer than most which are normally 5m. This could make all the difference as I believe the leads are no good with most extension sockets ? is that right ?

Does anyone on here have experience of using it with a Zoe ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
234 Posts
That says it will draw 16A - too much for a UK wall socket (13A).
Most are set to 10A to protect the socket.

That fact alone worries me about this product.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,503 Posts
And on the length bit: if it is total length, that seems in line with all the others.

All are about 1m cable on the side of the 3pin plug and 5m cable on the side of the car plug, for a total length of over 6m for the whole thing. At least the ones that I have seen, one from VW and one from KIA.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
424 Posts
yep I got a 16a one once with a 13a 3 pin plug fitted - try avoid you might find it works but plug gets hot , can trip your MCB in the consumer box if your electrics are not up to scratch or you have a dodgy 13a socket and over time the plug could get so hot it could even catch fire , or be stressed so much with heat the pins can eventually melt the 3 pin plug making it dangerous to use - even 10a chargers can make the plugs hot when using them for hours on end what people tend to do especially if they use them for over 6 hours overnight!

these chargers really were designed for people in europe with the 16a rated 2pin & E shuko plugs but somewhere across the way some seem to get fitted with 13a 3pin plugs :oops:

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 (on order)
37 Posts
I would be very, very weary of a product rated at 16A with a plug only rated for 13A. I see no switch/button to reduce the current. I'd go with either a 10A unit or find one where the current is selectable.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,556 Posts
And am I crazy or does the plug seems a franken-photoshop of a type 1 (US style 2 "phase", with the hook) and a type 2 plug? Seems to me the seller has no idea what the product is indeed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
UK 3-pin plugs are only rated for 10A continuous draw. Anything that exceeds that isn't allowed to be sold in the UK. Plus your home electrics aren't designed to deliver that current, so you could damage the wiring and possibly cause a fire.

Of course you could plug it in and simply hope that nothing goes wrong... 🙄

1 - 7 of 7 Posts