Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took our leaf out the other night and realised just how poor the headlamps are.
I never really thought about it until I picked up my new work car a few weeks ago with LED lights and they are fantastic. My leaf is a 64 plate acenta.
My question is did they fit LED headlamps to the 24/30 in the teckna spec and newer if so can they be retrofitted and what is involved ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
Yes, but it is a lot more than "just" swapping either the bulbs or the headlamps, the wiring loom needs changing as well as the connections are different.
My Wife's LEAF is a '64 Tekna so if you need pictures etc. just ask.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reactions: Davy EV leaf

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
A lot more cost effective than a retrofit, but if the Police are looking for a reason to book you or the MoT tester knows what they are doing you could have a problem. @Barfly is less likely to have a problem as he is using them in his main beam which is rarely checked.

·
Registered
652 Posts
A lot more cost effective than a retrofit, but if the Police are looking for a reason to book you or the MoT tester knows what they are doing you could have a problem. @Barfly is less likely to have a problem as he is using them in his main beam which is rarely checked.
Yes, the headlights are far more important from a driving point of view, low beams are really only for town driving. If your Leaf has the halogen dipped beams I suggest you leave them alone. The high beams are the ones you need for badly-lit country roads.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Yes, the headlights are far more important from a driving point of view, low beams are really only for town driving. If your Leaf has the halogen dipped beams I suggest you leave them alone. The high beams are the ones you need for badly-lit country roads.
Driving on country roads, the dip beams are the most critical because most country roads also have oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Driving on country roads, the dip beams are the most critical because most country roads also have oncoming traffic.
Not a lot of oncoming traffic in the wilds of the New Forest after midnight - just the ponies, donkeys, pigs and deer!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
Certainly in the Forest of Dean they are an issue. Around my way (10 miles North) we don't see them at all.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
865 Posts
Certainly in the Forest of Dean they are an issue. Around my way (10 miles North) we don't see them at all.
Not sure that you and I are talking about the same sort of pigs. I had in mind blue flashing lights picking up on potential illegal headlights! Which comes to another question... HID headlights are not specified as legal in UK regulations but scrape in under equal treatment under EU standards. That won’t be the case as it stands on 1st January...?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,909 Posts
Not sure that you and I are talking about the same sort of pigs. I had in mind blue flashing lights picking up on potential illegal headlights! Which comes to another question... HID headlights are not specified as legal in UK regulations but scrape in under equal treatment under EU standards. That won’t be the case as it stands on 1st January...?
We adopted all current EU standards/regs as part of the Brexit legislation I believe, so they are legal unless at some point in the future the law is changed.

·
Registered
652 Posts
HID headlamps - that particular horse bolted about 5 years ago. There is no way new regs. could be introduced to make them unlawful; there are far too many vehicles with them legally fitted for them to be outlawed.
I just love the pigs running around the New Forest. Commoners are allowed to graze their pigs/sheep/horses/cattle/donkeys and they roam everywhere, all over the roads and forest. The other day with my little granddaughter in the car we had to stop for a family of pigs with about 5 or six tiny ones in the group roaming all over the road. The farmer asked me if I wanted one of the little ones for Christmas dinner. He said "there ain't noffin like a roast suckling little pig on Christmas Day"
My little granddaughter was horrified.

Reactions: freddym and Tooks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Totally understand Barfly situation where he lives but for my situation living in Essex I feel better dipped beam would be ideal.
Would love to do a conversion but two new or second hand lamps and new loom or modify wiring would just not make financial sense unfortunately.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reactions: Davy EV leaf

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,909 Posts
HIDs are already going the way of the Dodo anyway aren’t they, most new cars (never mind just EVs) are using LED lighting if they aren’t using Halogen bulbs, and it’s where all the automotive lighting OEMs are putting R&D budgets.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
HIDs are already going the way of the Dodo anyway aren’t they, most new cars (never mind just EVs) are using LED lighting if they aren’t using Halogen bulbs, and it’s where all the automotive lighting OEMs are putting R&D budgets.
Totally agree. HIDs will be obsolete on new cars within 5 years

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
The retrofit market has already moved on to fitting LEDs with most of the same issues as with HID.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
The retrofit market has already moved on to fitting LEDs with most of the same issues as with HID.
The problem is many of the yahoos out there love their illegally fitted/aimed HID's and they won't be going anytime soon......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts