Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through the brochures deciding which boxes to tick I've 'inserted' several question marks.
Yesterday afternoon I sent the salesman a list of 12 questions, but also went looking on the BMW website, with very little joy.

On the test car I drove, dip beam was LED, incorporating self levelling, but the main beam were conventional lights.
Is this the standard or the Code 5A2 installation? Or does 5A2 have both dip and main as LED lights?

I like the idea of LED lights, with their lower power consumption, on an electric car, and I guess the £710 is partly paying for the necessary self leveling, but I'll feel short changed if main beam remain as filament bulbs. Perhaps there is a known aftermarket upgrade to convert filament main beams to LED, that has been shown to work?

Any advice or previous experience please?

Regards.

·
Banned
511 Posts
I don't think any LED after market products are legal. I love the idea of LED lights, but BMW LED lights would be a worry (as an owner) if they ever failed. Halogen Bulb = £2-3 and a 10 minutes to replace....LED Light unit = £££ if there is a fault not covered under warranty and BMW garage to fix/diagnose.

You can also have spare Halogen blubs in the glove compartment, not really possible with LED units.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou gentlemen, I now know with some certainty where I stand. If the purchase goes ahead it's highly likely it will include 'LED Headlights', and I'll consider whether to LED the Main Beam later, perhaps dependant on getting more night time driving experience on the back roads of the Peak District.

Regards

·
Banned
511 Posts
I'll consider whether to LED the Main Beam later, perhaps dependant on getting more night time driving experience on the back roads of the Peak District.
Regards
Just remember the car will be illegal in terms of main beam lights (unless they are BMW OEM fitments) should you have an accident or get stopped by plod. It would also fail any MOT if the tester does their job properly..

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think the LCI upgrade just coming in includes LED for both full & dip beam as standard (and has a better position for the full beam), so it depends whether you're buying new or used. Up to now, the LED option only applied to the dip beam. I'm sure they're fine in urban areas, but on rural country roads I found the standard lights weren't good enough and the LED ones seem much clearer. However, the LED upgrade only applied to the dip beam. Full beam was always halogen, with the lights positioned much too low - more like a foglight position - so not great on an undulating surface.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just remember the car will be illegal in terms of main beam lights
Really? Can you shed more light on this (groan)? I guess maybe you're referring to a lack of BS/CE mark on the LEDs. In terms of beam spread mine were unchanged since the LED is in the same place as the old filament. I'm extremely doubtful that MOT / traffic old would even notice - even if they did I'm not sure they would care. It's not like they are blue or purple sidelights, or ridiculous tinted brake light lenses....

·
Banned
511 Posts
Really? Can you shed more light on this (groan)? I guess maybe you're referring to a lack of BS/CE mark on the LEDs. In terms of beam spread mine were unchanged since the LED is in the same place as the old filament. I'm extremely doubtful that MOT / traffic old would even notice - even if they did I'm not sure they would care. It's not like they are blue or purple sidelights, or ridiculous tinted brake light lenses....
I'm just referring to the fact that no road legal kits exist to the best of my knowledge and ferreting around the websites of those who sell them, somewhere it usually states not road legal.

I am sure you are right that the police/MOT "may" not notice, however if you get pulled for something, they may well perform a deeper inspection which uncovers it. Then you get a problem. Still worse, if you are involved in a fatal traffic accident (night or day),. or kill a pedestrian, I can assure you they will go over the car with a fine tooth-comb. In this event you might find yourself uninsured. If you own a house and assets, they will be taken from you, if you don't it might just be the plethora of charges for multiple offences e.g. driving without valid insurance, dangerous vehicle, dangerous driving etc..

After this if you still have a job, then you might be paying legal fees and compensation for the rest of your life...or declaring bankruptcy/facing contempt of court if you don't pay.

·
Registered
147 Posts
... loads of terrifying stuff ...
I guess we know where you stand then :)

This summary doc suggests that DfT have actually been pretty pragmatic. LED mains on an i3 (as long as they are less than 2k lumens - good luck accurately measuring that) don't need auto level or washers. This doubly applies because they are main beams only.

The sticky thing here is whether you could argue with your insurer that you replaced a like-for-like replacement consumable item (an H2 bulb IIRC, swapped for a newer technology that performs *exactly* the same function). I reckon many insurers wouldn't consider this a declarable modification, especially because main beams are elective.

In fact in some ways LEDs are better for this function since they light / extinguish so much quicker than incandescents. I know which mains I'd rather have on my night commute through rural Wilts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The goalposts have moved here.
From another thread I discovered that part of the mainly cosmetic upgrade introduced at the Frankfurt 2017 show is a functional change, the dip LED becomes standard, and the mains go from filament to LED as standard, in a strip form rather than a circular form. There is also a change of front bumper.
The current downside is that the BMW purchase 'assistance' is only on the pre-facelift models.
How soon, or if ever, the assistance is re-applied after the pre-facelift models are sold, is not made clear.

The only other functional change is the upgrade of the 'navigation' / media(?) system from standard to professional.

(I discussed and confirmed all this over the phone with the local salesman).
I can see me buying the post upgrade model.

Regards.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can see me buying the post upgrade model.
Yes, a pre-facelift (also called LCI) model would need to be a much better deal due to weaker residuals too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
On the LCI (which is the new 2018 model facelift) the headlamps are LED and all in one unit, both dip and main.
The long narrow lamp built into the front bumper is in fact the indicator which is an LED unit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the LCI (which is the new 2018 model facelift) the headlamps are LED and all in one unit, both dip and main.
The long narrow lamp built into the front bumper is in fact the indicator which is an LED unit.
Thank you, I had wondered about the indicator.
As a matter of interest, where did you get this detail, an official BMW site, or a more than usually thorough review site?

Regards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts