Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
Somebody in VOSA obviously cares enough about LED headlight conversions that the MOT guidance has been updated post Brexit.

I wonder what’s driven it? Let’s be honest, most people who convert to LEDs keep saying that they don’t dazzle, they’ve never been flashed etc, but something has made the wheels of legislation grind into action.

It would be interesting to see any data that’s been collected around such conversions, they don’t tend to do things for the fun of it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody in VOSA obviously cares enough about LED headlight conversions that the MOT guidance has been updated post Brexit.

I wonder what’s driven it? Let’s be honest, most people who convert to LEDs keep saying that they don’t dazzle, they’ve never been flashed etc, but something has made the wheels of legislation grind into action.

It would be interesting to see any data that’s been collected around such conversions, they don’t tend to do things for the fun of it.
Could be just because it's simpler to ban them. For example, most LED bike lights do not conform to the BS6102/3. But their performance and safety advantages are huge over filament bulbs and are now almost exclusively used.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I think a good lawyer will drive a caoch & horses through this wording. IANAL, but here goes!

...“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

Clearly the "headlamp unit" is used in conjunction WITH hid/led-bulb. Therefore "headlamp unit" does NOT itself comprise a bulb. If there's a bulb in there already, you cannot fit hid/led-bulb. At all.

The "headlamp unit" is therefore the housing, wiring, bulb-socket, reflector, lens, clear plastic cover, = the entire housing that a gge might swap out if smashed in an accident.

I have not modified my "headlamp unit" in any way when I fitted my LED bulbs. I rest my case, m'lud.

The MOT section makes sense - check operation etc, i.e. they should check the dip-cutoff is present & correct, Arguably what's needed is more sophisticated test-kit to measure the beam spread, lumens, and so check there's no danger of excessive dazzle.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
This doesn’t surprise me. I’m seeing ever more crap led lights, dazzling everyone and putting piss all light on the road. Really dangerous. Whether this is entirely down to incorrect installation of poor quality product is pretty much irrelevant. Because you can’t buy an approved led H7 replacement the only legislative response is to explicitly ban them.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I think a good lawyer will drive a caoch & horses through this wording. IANAL, but here goes!

...“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

Clearly the "headlamp unit" is used in conjunction WITH hid/led-bulb. Therefore "headlamp unit" does NOT itself comprise a bulb. If there's a bulb in there already, you cannot fit hid/led-bulb. At all.

The "headlamp unit" is therefore the housing, wiring, bulb-socket, reflector, lens, clear plastic cover, = the entire housing that a gge might swap out if smashed in an accident.

I have not modified my "headlamp unit" in any way when I fitted my LED bulbs. I rest my case, m'lud.

The MOT section makes sense - check operation etc, i.e. they should check the dip-cutoff is present & correct, Arguably what's needed is more sophisticated test-kit to measure the beam spread, lumens, and so check there's no danger of excessive dazzle.
Bit of a safety backwards step for cars with poor OEM Halogen headlamps

In my driving experience, the worst headlamps in terms of dazzle are VWs with factory LED headlamps.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Bit of a safety backwards step for cars with poor OEM Halogen headlamps
In that case it would make more sense for legislation to be passed that ensured OEM halogen lighting met a minimum standard with regard to lumens etc?

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts

Also keep in mind that what we’ve all just read is an advertorial, an interpretation from a bulb reseller who makes a living selling LED aftermarket kit.

I would think the actual guidance is more comprehensive.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I'll be going into Bellingers someday to collect repaired Ampera. I'll try to remember to ask them what's their position on checking cars for LED/HID alterations. If need be, I'm going to have to reinsert the halogens before submitting the dangerously feeble headlinghts for next MOT! (Anyone not familar with the lights on these, 1950's Morris Minor Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness headlights would be a significant improvement. I kid you not. Think dip-beam power, then halve it.)

Shades of motorcyclists swapping in/out their noisy straight-through exhaust pipes! ... not that I ever succumbed to that behaviour myself ! :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
. If need be, I'm going to have to reinsert the halogens before submitting the dangerously feeble headlinghts for next MOT! (Anyone not familar with the lights on these, 1950's Morris Minor Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness headlights would be a significant improvement. I kid you not. Think dip-beam power, then halve it.)
TBH, I didn't want to make this a thread to debate the bulb, it was merely an FYI to those fitted ahead of an MOT.

But honestly, the line that Ampera lights are unsafe is absolute nonsense. I and a few thousand other owners have driven them safely and without incident for likely millions of dark driving on unlit roads. And the exact same system is used on a widely sold car in the USA.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Our old Zoe passed loads of MOTs with LeD conversion
I’m sure it did, but that might not be the case going forwards, which is the OPs point.

Most MOT testers don’t look too hard though, let’s be honest. Doesn’t change the legality aspects either, just because it has a fresh MOT ticket.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
HIDs are easier to spot at an MOT as they tend to start bright before slightly dimming and unless the tester or someone else is looking at the pattern when they are switched on might well not be noticed unless the beam pattern is out. LEDs are a bit harder to spot, they come on quicker but stay at the same level and again only if there is an issue with the pattern might it be noticed. The tester might not know if the car should come with LED or not. My neighbours Navara has LEDs as standard and the same type of lense when looked through the headlamp glass.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our old Zoe passed loads of MOTs with LeD conversion
Hence why I pointed out the change to testing.

The vast, vast majority of LED headlight bulbs are not CE marked, not approved for highway use and would be liable for a ticket from police within a nanosecond of a healthy MOT being awarded. If they cared. I'm not saying they should.

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...107k 91.5 and rising
153 Posts
Rather glad now that I kept the old bulbs and didn't have to hack a hole in the cover when I fitted mine. :whistle:

Thanks to OP for the heads-up, just hope I remember when it's time in June. My local MOT tester has always been very good to me but he does obsess about headlamp alignment - often adjusting them during the test - so I'm sure he'll be all over it.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,491 Posts
I thought it always was a failure point to be honest. I know a handful of Zoe drivers (they have notoriously bad headlights) who advocate the workaround of swapping them out for standard when you take it for the MOT. Which is also why this will make no difference - you'd have to have something like, getting pulled over and tested on the spot if you're driving around dazzling everyone.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought it always was a failure point to be honest. I know a handful of Zoe drivers (they have notoriously bad headlights) who advocate the workaround of swapping them out for standard when you take it for the MOT. Which is also why this will make no difference - you'd have to have something like, getting pulled over and tested on the spot if you're driving around dazzling everyone.
They've always been non-roadworthy (read that as illegal if you wish) but the MOT isn't a roadworthiness certificate. The MOT was updated a few years ago to identify non-standard HID fits (again not roadworthy but previous passed as long as the alignment was correct).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hence why I pointed out the change to testing.

The vast, vast majority of LED headlight bulbs are not CE marked, not approved for highway use and would be liable for a ticket from police within a nanosecond of a healthy MOT being awarded. If they cared. I'm not saying they should.
so? They worked better than stock lights, plus police don’t care about a car that looks like it should have LEDs

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
If your car was updated by the manufacturer to use LED headlights (like the 2020 Zoe), be prepared to contest an MOT fail for having them down the line.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts