Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am considering changing the rear lights to LED bulbs and also the Indicator front back and sides.

The indicators I know could cause a problem with "Hyperflashing" unless I fit bulbs like the "Twenty20" but for me at 1,800 Lumens are much too bright.

The alternative is to change the Flasher unit to an electronic type rather than a mechanical type, which should work with either incandescent or LED Bulbs.

I have searched all over to try and find the exact relay location of the Flasher Unit on my ZS EV Exclusive.

The "Clicking" Sound during Hazard and Turn Operations seems to be coming from the drivers door speaker area, but is this maybe an audio tone indication rather than the Flasher Unit itself? Or am I wrong with this assumption?

I have checked the Passenger Fuse Box and Engine Compartment for "Clicking" relays but nothing.

Unless the vehicle is already fitted with an electronic type Flasher Unit, then I am stumped as to the correct location of the unit itself.

The only information I have managed to find was for the ZS ICE vehicle, where it says the Flasher Unit is in the Passenger Fuse Box, but the EV Fuse Box looks totally different in design.

Please can someone advise me where there correct location of the Flasher Unit is on this vehicle model.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy (Blackpool)

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am considering changing the rear lights to LED bulbs and also the Indicator front back and sides.

The indicators I know could cause a problem with "Hyperflashing" unless I fit bulbs like the "Twenty20" but for me at 1,800 Lumens are much too bright.

The alternative is to change the Flasher unit to an electronic type rather than a mechanical type, which should work with either incandescent or LED Bulbs.

I have searched all over to try and find the exact relay location of the Flasher Unit on my ZS EV Exclusive.

The "Clicking" Sound during Hazard and Turn Operations seems to be coming from the drivers door speaker area, but is this maybe an audio tone indication rather than the Flasher Unit itself? Or am I wrong with this assumption?

I have checked the Passenger Fuse Box and Engine Compartment for "Clicking" relays but nothing.

Unless the vehicle is already fitted with an electronic type Flasher Unit, then I am stumped as to the correct location of the unit itself.

The only information I have managed to find was for the ZS ICE vehicle, where it says the Flasher Unit is in the Passenger Fuse Box, but the EV Fuse Box looks totally different in design.

Please can someone advise me where there correct location of the Flasher Unit is on this vehicle model.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy (Blackpool)
Why go to all this trouble?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
348 Posts
LED Bulbs are not E-marked, they are not legal for road use.

·
Journeyman Human
520 Posts
There have not been flasher relays in cars for quite some time now, so you'll not find one! The click clock indicator noise is created via speaker, there is no actual noise from the action, the clue is if any other warning noises happen whilst indicating, the indicator noise temporarily stops.

I've no idea if removing a bulb will affect the speed of flashing anymore, if it does, that too is just a software creation as well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There have not been flasher relays in cars for quite some time now, so you'll not find one! The click clock indicator noise is created via speaker, there is no actual noise from the action, the clue is if any other warning noises happen whilst indicating, the indicator noise temporarily stops.

I've no idea if removing a bulb will affect the speed of flashing anymore, if it does, that too is just a software creation as well!
Very interesting answer Favguy which goes a long way to explain why I cant find the relay, although I did find a post showing a plug in Flasher Relay is fitted to the ICE version of the ZS EV. So this must have been changed with the EV version. Thanks for your reply.

Andy (Blackpool UK)

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 230.4MJ (64kWh) Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
78 Posts
Even my second car, a 2002 Vauxhall Astra, doesn't have a "flasher relay"! I'm amazed if any modern car has one, EV or ICE.

I believe the "faster flashing if a bulb fails" is a legal requirement for homologation however the flashing itself is done. Some (most?) cars have a software setting in the BCM to select between LED and incandescent lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts