Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my late model Czero already has factory fitted LED rear lights. However filament DRL lights which are always on during daylight driving consume 26 watts (at the bulb, double this for overall voltage conversions?) and could possibly be swopped out for low power LED.

In the event, I found that that Chinese made P13W bulbs have a wider body and this a not a direct swop. However using a die grinder, its possible to remove a little of the plastic body from the combined foglightlight/DRL housing, so that the LED bulbs will fit.

These are the bulbs that I used:

2x P13w Psx26w Sh23w 12w High Power LED DRL COB Projector Head Fog Light Blub UK | eBay

upload_2018-4-27_8-4-2.png

So in theory, new bulbs have a lower power consumption, longer life, brighter standout lighting which after all, is the whole point of DRLs

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I saw your post title I thought your post was going to be about the never spoken about factory LED headlights. I'd love to have a pair of those.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just to chip in that those are indeed factory LED headlights.

I fitted a set of Philips LED H11s in my 'i' car's low beams and found them adequate. But they developed faults due to, I think, heat buildup. They did last a year in those fully enclosed light units to Philips' credit. I fitted a second set and left the rear headlight covers off to try to aid cooling.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
While hunting for a C-Zero/I-Miev/ION I have come across a couple of C-Zero's from 2014 with LED lights fitted. Is that a standard from a certain reg year?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Presumably the Mitsubishi LED headlights were an option on the I-MIEV and PSA just carried them over from the parts bin.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LEDs now fitted to rear number plate lights, front side lights. That's 20 watts reduced to 5 watts which all helps reduce 12v battery drain when the car is (often) parked up needing the side lights on.
Regarding dip beam headlights, there is a ton of room for led bulbs, their cooling device and the drivers, inside the headlight housing. The inside looks as though the original intention was to fit HIDS hence room for their ballasts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These bulbs give an "identical" beam pattern, at only 40watts a pair compared to 110 for halogens, strictly off-road use of course.

No fans, cooling strips etc.Fit neatly inside light housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
On the C-Zero I find main beam very good but dipped beam and reversing lights poor. I was just going to get Osram Nightbreaker H11 for the front but seem much more expensive than H4 :(

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Colin, see post #9 for LED dipped beam bulbs, purchased direct from China, seem to be very well made.

Perfect Beam pattern.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well that's the H11 dipped & sidelight LEDs in. Just waiting on the DRLs to be delivered. Unsure if I'll bother with LED fogs and main beam. Suddenly the car looks more modern, lol! Looking forward to darkness to check them out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts