Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
And the Tesla Supercharger map last night showed Leeds as pending and today it's showing as available. That's the sort of update timing that's required. None of this 3 or 4 week delay either way, as appears to often be the case with other networks.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
View attachment 3298 Now that Leeds is in place, I think this is on.
Edinburgh to John O'Groats would take some serious hyper-miling, but yes very impressive!

Personally though for me it opens up Newcastle, which previously would have been out of reach... hmm our year end is at the end of the month, do I run Supercharging through the books now or wait until I have a trip booked... decisions decisions.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Edinburgh to John O'Groats would take some serious hyper-miling, but yes very impressive!
It's mostly sub-60 mph roads, so I think it could be done. There are multiple CHAdeMO and 22kW AC points on the route too, if things are looking tight.

I'd be tempted to start at the top and head south. That way you can start with a full charge and never have to wait for a supercharger to hit 100%.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Thinking about it, it really doesn't make that much difference to the Lands End -> John O'Groats trip.

Previously you would have just needed to go via Knutsford.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Can someone please tell me the last time it was 70F in Scotland! (Graph)
Or it was a flat, straight road with no traffic. ;)

TBH I think the graph is pretty optimistic for UK real world usage.

I generally go for a fairly conservative 160 real world range in my planning. In summer I managed 180(ish based on remaining miles) between Nottingham and Huntingdon along the A1 which is relatively flat, with cruise set to prevailing speed limits. I was probably around the 320 wH/mi whilst doing 70.

You could go that way but the long stint on the M6/M74 would be pushing the range I think.
People have already done that segment ;) (Not sure if they stopped for a splash of Ecotricity love along the way though, but if you kept it slightly below 70, I'd say it were doable without, especially according to your graph ;) )

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The Leeds Super Charger also means that Tesla owners up these parts can travel the popular M62 east/west at ease. Considering the only other charger in that area is the puddle and nappy infested Ikea Ecotricity charger, the new supercharger will be very welcome.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Previously you would have just needed to go via Knutsford
That would be a long stop though, there's no supercharger in Knutsford.

I think you need something in Inverness and the Lake District to make it a comfortable trip.

And if you are going to do it, then you might as well go for the Guiness record for "least amount of non-driving time". Which I believe is currently 4 hours, so the target would be for 6 x 30 min supercharger stops.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you need something in Inverness and the Lake District to make it a comfortable trip.
Comfort? Pah. Never stopped me ;)

Besides, there's unfinished business.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004631/An-eco-friendly-charity-boss-completed-gruelling-end-end-journey-Britain-driving-894-miles-electric-car-using-public-charging-points.html

Mr Sharpe, of Bath, Somerset, and David Peilow, 34, a satellite systems engineer of Winchester, Hants, set off from John O'Groats in the £86,000 Tesla on May 21.

Mr Sharpe said: 'This is another landmark because these are production cars, not prototypes.

'Nissan has already produced the leaf which costs around £25,000 and Mitsubishi, BMW, Audi and VW are all set to go to market with affordable electric cars in the next two years.

'Tesla are planning a family saloon too with a 300 mile range and 45 minute charge time. 'You could coincide a trip with a meal at a service station say and make a long distance journey in the same time you would now.'

1 - 20 of 32 Posts