Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I will be doing a Leeds to Skegness journey in a 64 plate Nissan Leaf (24kwh). I plan to stop at Blyth Services for a rapid charge as shown by the letter "B" on the attached map. Question is this, how much of a squeaky bum am I going to have doing that 2nd leg of the journey??

A to B is about 46 miles, where I will rapid charge.
B to C is approximately 72 miles if Google is to believed.

Am I going to end up stranded or do you think I'll make it?
The 1st leg is pretty much all motorway speeds, while the 2nd leg is more 50/60mpg A roads.
Does anyone else have any experience of this journey or can you offer any advice other than use a ICE for the journey!! I'm due to pick up the car on Friday and the journey will be the following Friday. The wife wasn't thrilled at the idea of hiring a car so soon after getting the Leaf, so we are braving it and taking the leaf instead. Butlins have said they have a charger, but this isn't shown on Zap-Map or any other map i've seen. They have asked for a donation of £5 which will go to a childrens charity in return for using the charger.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do a 68 mile journey each week in my 24kw Leaf. I get there - but not with a lot to spare. That's being as economical as I can with no heat, no excess weight, doing 60 from a 100% charge. If you've not driven a Leaf before, you may under estimate how delicate you have to be to get range. Trying to drive with two dots is very hard. It's not fun being overtaken by lorries.

A rapid will get you to about 87%. I would not attempt to do 72 miles with that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do a 68 mile journey each week in my 24kw Leaf. I get there - but not with a lot to spare. That's being as economical as I can with no heat, no excess weight, doing 60 from a 100% charge. If you've not driven a Leaf before, you may under estimate how delicate you have to be to get range. Trying to drive with two dots is very hard. It's not fun being overtaken by lorries.

A rapid will get you to about 87%. I would not attempt to do 72 miles with that.
I have driven one before, but I would trust your experience with a Leaf over my maths any day!!
That's really going to go down well with the wife!!

I could potentially stop in Lincoln for about an hour to do some shopping at the Tesco where there is a Fast charger, but then my overall journey time goes up.

That's a real shame. I guess I'll have to hire/borrow an ICE for the weekend, unless anyone else has any other bright ideas??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I may have found an alternative route which might just be achievable.

I can go from Leeds to a rapid charger in Ferriby, Hull. That leg is 57 miles. Then from there down to Butlins in Skegness is 64 miles. See attached journey. A = Leeds, B = Rapid charger, C = Butlins destination.

@BugOne what are your thoughts on this route??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I am afraid i looked over this last summer. In a brand new 24. Decided life was too short so borrowed an ICE from Nissan. Bit of a change the gave me a Navarra.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
There is a Nissan dealer with a charger pretty much mid point from the motorway to Skegness but it's not a rapid.
Personally not for me waiting around the dealers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am afraid i looked over this last summer. In a brand new 24. Decided life was too short so borrowed an ICE from Nissan. Bit of a change the gave me a Navarra.
Mine is a 2nd hand Leaf from Chorley Group so I don't qualify for the "Leaf Holiday" benefit of borrowing an ICE car from Nissan free of charge. The Leaf Holiday was a major incentive to buying brand new, but I ended up choosing a 2nd hand one instead as it didn't make financial sense to me. I'll just have to make do and see if this other route via Hull is better/achievable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
64 is doable, however you'll be taking it very easy.

Mine is a 2013 Gen2 24kw with 12k on the clock (12/12 battery). When I bought the car in December I did the final leg of my journey from a rapid (87%) of 68 miles. With around 40 miles to go, my GOM said I only had 30 left (after a bit of a hill)! I made it though - but at the end I was down to around 35 to eek out every bit of distance. This was winter though.

I would say ignore the GOM in the early stages - you see you've got 10-20 miles spare and you drive normally. Then, after doing 10 miles you're down to the bare distance and you start to wish you'd been a bit more economical in the early stages.

If it was me, I'd go the Lincoln route and stop for an hour to do some shopping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
64 is doable, however you'll be taking it very easy.

Mine is a 2013 Gen2 24kw with 12k on the clock (12/12 battery). When I bought the car in December I did the final leg of my journey from a rapid (87%) of 68 miles. With around 40 miles to go, my GOM said I only had 30 left (after a bit of a hill)! I made it though - but at the end I was down to around 35 to eek out every bit of distance. This was winter though.

I would say ignore the GOM in the early stages - you see you've got 10-20 miles spare and you drive normally. Then, after doing 10 miles you're down to the bare distance and you start to wish you'd been a bit more economical in the early stages.

If it was me, I'd go the Lincoln route and stop for an hour to do some shopping.
Food for thought!!! I really want to do this journey with the Leaf. The alternative is hiring a car and paying for the petrol. All in I think hiring would be about £100, but that's an extra £100 I wasn't expecting to pay. The problem with the Lincoln route is that I'll have to do the same two stops (Fast charge at Lincoln Tesco & Rapid charge at Blyth Services) on the way home. It's a 3 hour journey with 1 stop, 4 hour journey with two stops.

Thanks for your input @BugOne, I'll update this thread with a successful journey, or a funny tale about getting stranded somewhere!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I was desperate to do it too but thought better of it. I would definitely do it in my 30.
I didn't like putting diesel in. £80 plus the visit to the filthy places to fill up.
If you are determined then leaf spy and an obd will give you more accuracy and faith in your soc than the onboard instruments. When your battery percentage goes to two lines below around 8% it is unnerving.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Go for the Hull route and take a double charge there (if there is no one else queuing) to get to 100%. It will take an extra half hour and cost more but if you then drive carefully you should be able to do the 64 miles to Skegness. Drive slower until you start to feel that you will actually make it.

It will be a proper Leaf adventure and you'll feel great on completion, assuming all goes well ;)

You will also get a better feel for what your car is actually capable of. These kinds of compromises is what you sometimes need to do for longer journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts