Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Nope. Been there twice now in the LEAF from Milton Keynes. Due to various rapids not working we've taken a few different approaches.

We've used the electric highway each time, but there's also slow chargers around I believe.

Nearest rapids I've seen are Reading M4, Heston M4 and also the rapid at Nissan HQ, not used the HQ but Heston services are pretty horrible so I'd try to avoid that in future.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Oh crikey avoid legoland windsor at all costs, it a ridiculous place, an absolute rip off to get in and when you are in there, try ordering food from there and see what you get for your money(or dont get for your money), spend your money elsewhere, trust me on this one dont go there.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Oh crikey avoid legoland windsor at all costs, it a ridiculous place, an absolute rip off to get in and when you are in there, try ordering food from there and see what you get for your money(or dont get for your money), spend your money elsewhere, trust me on this one dont go there.
In contrast...

Been there lots with the kids, they always have a great time. Been twice already this year. :D

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
A bit unfair on kids to deny them a slice of modern popular culture!

Mine loved going there when they were pre-teens. Like all attractions, arrive early, take plenty of water plus a picnic and leave when the queues get too long for the least patient member of the party.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nearest rapids I've seen are Reading M4, Heston M4 and also the rapid at Nissan HQ, not used the HQ but Heston services are pretty horrible so I'd try to avoid that in future.
Yes Paul. We'll be coming back from London on Saturday evening so I was planning to have a zap at Heston unless I score getting a charge in London. We're staying the night at the Holiday Inn Winnersh Triangle and then going to LEGOLAND from there.

Sunday evening we'll likely make it to Membury for a zap before heading back through the Cotswolds.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, if you ask around, you can get some great deals on Legoland. As far as getting ripped off for food, instead of queueing for half an hour for crap food, spend half an hour at home making a nice picnic for the family. Nicer and cheaper.
Book 7 days out and it is 25% off. Slightly less of a rip-off at £105 for the three of us.

Regards food - yes, I think we'll pop into Sainsbury in Bracknell on the way through, have some brekkie and buy our lunch.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
We usually get a Merlin "premium" passes at a discount/in the sales for each of the family, about £350 (less I think) for four of us. We've already been to Warwick Castle once and Legoland twice with them this year, free parking and other perks/discounts too... with our kids being the age they are and with so many Merlin attractions nearish to us, it works out good value and takes the "must get on everything today!!!" pressure away completely too. Worth watching out for if you're into that kind of thing.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We usually get a Merlin "premium" passes at a discount/in the sales for each of the family, about £350 (less I think) for four of us. We've already been to Warwick Castle once and Legoland twice with them this year, free parking and other perks/discounts too... with our kids being the age they are and with so many Merlin attractions nearish to us, it works out good value and takes the "must get on everything today!!!" pressure away completely too. Worth watching out for if you're into that kind of thing.
That's a great tip. Thanks Paul

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
In 20120 it was £7.50 for a burger and fries and still no drink? thats extra? chap I work with used to work there and laughs about it with me and has gone in to great detail about how they fine tune the place to fleece the parents.

Thorpe Park or Alton Towers a much better bet, I wont ever go back to LLW, if they did have any EV charging it would be fined tuned to fleece you like the rest of the place is.

Stay Away

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The Merlin Annual pass is definitely the way to go. It'll get you into all Merlin sites, including Alton Towers (whoever suggested it was different was wrong!)
If you go to the Lego discovery centre in Manchester's Trafford centre you can use the cyc chargers..

There used to be a great trick to get an annual merlin pass for very little money... I'm not sure if they still do it or not.. If you collected £200 worth of receipts from the big lego shop over a year, you could get a free Legoland annual pass for the next year. Once you had the pass you could pay a small amount to upgrade it from a legoland pass to a merlin pass.

Edit: Should make it clear that it's the 'Big Lego Shop' at legoland not any Lego brand shop.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, little boy is now 4 so these types of events will be coming along thick and fast. I'll ask that question when I am there on Sunday.

I am not sure that it would be difficult to spend £200 in the Lego shop, although what I want is not yet sold in the UK :( http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Studio-21050/?domainredir=www.shop.lego.com (or at least wasn't last time I checked)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Watch Lego Movie, much cheaper and more fun, lad I work with used to work there and has so many tales of how they rip people off should be on Watchdog, avoid at all costs!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Watch Lego Movie, much cheaper and more fun, lad I work with used to work there and has so many tales of how they rip people off should be on Watchdog, avoid at all costs!
Like any tourist place it's easy to get mugged if you let it happen. It's also really easy to have a bargain day out and loads of fun for the kids.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts