Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I wonder if my council (Doncaster) will follow Notts lead?

Also, when you see on a motorway gantry that speed limit is reduced for air quality, are we exempt?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Speed limits for air quality? Was that made up by the same folk who decided it’s safer to bunch customers up in a queue outside a store instead of spread out inside it?

Reactions: Padrino and E7EV

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M1 regularly has 60 limits for ‘air quality’. I suppose that soon all the perks like free parking/charging/bus lane use etc will disappear, and we’ll all be paying x pence per mile to use our EVs. Enjoy it while we can!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,621 Posts
Also, when you see on a motorway gantry that speed limit is reduced for air quality, are we exempt?
Presumably they slow the biggest polluters (HGVs) the most? No, I thought not, they don't slow them at all. :rolleyes: So by the same logic, they slow the least polluting (EVs) by the most (equally with all cars). :oops:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
More cars in the same space for longer, sounds great for air quality.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Passat GTE, Lotus Exige and eMTB
89 Posts
I live in Nottingham, there are a few EV/Low emission lanes.
Not used one yet but it must be fun driving behind a stinking galactic milage diesel bus.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
413 Posts
I live in Nottingham, there are a few EV/Low emission lanes.
Not used one yet but it must be fun driving behind a stinking galactic milage diesel bus.
Nottingham buses have a very modern fleet of buses, fitted with technology to further reduce emissions. They have been pioneers in the trialing of low emission vehicles. They already have a fleet of electric buses.
You also have the tram system, and a council actively supporting the use of EV's.
Be grateful that at least your council is trying to do something.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Passat GTE, Lotus Exige and eMTB
89 Posts
Nottingham buses have a very modern fleet of buses, fitted with technology to further reduce emissions. They have been pioneers in the trialing of low emission vehicles. They already have a fleet of electric buses.
You also have the tram system, and a council actively supporting the use of EV's.
Oh I am grateful, NCC have done some great work and need applauding.
My experience with busses is mainly aimed at school busses.
The tram system is fantastic, I use it rather than going by car if venturing into Nottm.(y)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,621 Posts
Helped with £6.1M of Government cash.

Go Ultra Low - Nottingham's project to improve electric car usage

And they define a ULEV as:

For this scheme an ‘Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle’ (ULEV), is a vehicle that emits less than 75g of carbon dioxide (CO2) per kilometre travelled, with a capability of travelling a minimum range of 10 miles with zero CO2 emissions. This is based on the HM Treasury Company Car Tax definition.
But at least they are doing something. Where I live our nearest City is just re-designating roads as cycleways despite already having the 3rd slowest average traffic speed in the Country (after London and Cambridge).

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
567 Posts
Until covid I've used the supertram regularly and noted the electric buses though I haven't used one. I wish Oxford was so forward thinking.

·
Registered
278 Posts
... and a council (Nottingham) actively supporting the use of EV's.
I own an EV for more than 4 years now. I travel into Nottingham every weekday. I used to also visit at weekends. I've yet to see any support to use EV from the council.
Before they get the 6.1m grant they "promised" support for EVs. (13 miles of ULEV lanes vs 1.6 miles reality , discounted EV parking - vs no discount at all, two prices hikes and wider times of operation).
The only EV support I know of is public transport. That's what they are known for. (famous inside lane bus stops, creating traffic and unnecessary emissions).
If you know of any EV support from Nottingham City Council please share with us.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
413 Posts
I own an EV for more than 4 years now. I travel into Nottingham every weekday. I used to also visit at weekends. I've yet to see any support to use EV from the council.
Before they get the 6.1m grant they "promised" support for EVs. (13 miles of ULEV lanes vs 1.6 miles reality , discounted EV parking - vs no discount at all, two prices hikes and wider times of operation).
The only EV support I know of is public transport. That's what they are known for. (famous inside lane bus stops, creating traffic and unnecessary emissions).
If you know of any EV support from Nottingham City Council please share with us.
At least they have started putting in ULEV lanes. They are also setting up an Electric Vehicle Services center to help support the maintenance and repairs of EV's.
If you think Nottingham are doing nothing, at least they are trying. Have a look at what most councils are doing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
But at least they are doing something. Where I live our nearest City is just re-designating roads as cycleways despite already having the 3rd slowest average traffic speed in the Country (after London and Cambridge).
"Already"? If it's that slow you might as well cycle then?

·
Registered
55 Posts
M1 regularly has 60 limits for ‘air quality’. I suppose that soon all the perks like free parking/charging/bus lane use etc will disappear, and we’ll all be paying x pence per mile to use our EVs. Enjoy it while we can!
It's only a matter of time until we hear that the Road Tax has been abolished only to be replaced with Xpencepermile of road use...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts