Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am excited to buy a new 2019 egolf, but in one years time I will need to store it for 9 months as my job will take me to Europe. Traditional cars can be battery tended with a trickle charger, but I am guessing Lithium Ion batteries will be far more complicated. Can a new egolf be successfully stored for 9 months?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would be concerned about leaving a battery unused for that long. Can you not find someone in need of a car who can use it lightly?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think you you will need to order soon, the order book could close anytime. The new Golf will be announced next week and normally VW give little or no warning of closing orders (perhaps dealers get a few days who knows?). They may keep orders open for a little longer for the e-Golf over the fossil versions but that isn't guaranteed. Once ordering closes you will just be able to fish from the pool of dealer stock and I would expect cars with interesting combinations of options will be rare or snapped up quickly.

As for storage I wonder if you may find other threads that are not VW specific on this forum about this, I don't think you will be the first to ask the question.

Our previous e-UP was 4 years old when we bought it and had only 178 miles on the clock (really) it had been at VW headquarters all that time (I think on display) and the battery seemed totally normal in range and condition in our ownership. However I don't know if it was the original battery (but I think it was) or how it had been kept or looked after. but it came with a VW warranty and the 8 year battery warranty and is still going strong with the family member that we passed it on to. Not sure any of that helps you other than to say it must be possible somehow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know they can have low use or longer breaks in use, and possible I could find an occasional user.
Yesterday the dealer offered me $10k off the MSRP, that makes it tempting.
Thoughts on other places to query this question?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it were a Tesla it would be a problem I think. There's lots of systems that use the battery continuously, and it will deplete after X weeks, which may be harmful.

If the e-Golf has no phantom drain, then charging it to 60% or so before you leave it should be OK. Store it in a cool place and you ought to be good. Ask the dealer what they think.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If it were a Tesla it would be a problem I think. There's lots of systems that use the battery continuously, and it will deplete after X weeks, which may be harmful.

If the e-Golf has no phantom drain, then charging it to 60% or so before you leave it should be OK. Store it in a cool place and you ought to be good. Ask the dealer what they think.
Ask the dealer or ring a friend,both answers will be an uneducated guess,the only confirmed fact is leave the battery around 50% for any lengthy periods.The car will constantly be draining (slowly) alarm,we connect, etc.
If you can't get someone to drop by,then make sure , we connect works when its parked up leave the charger plugged (assuming its a garage) in but not charging and give the car a manual charge using we connect,worst that can happen is it does not switch off and you fully charge the battery.
Never used the in car settings for charging, but can you set it to charge 1 day a week at the same time for 50 % charge?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice ! I found there is VW's 'e-remote' to program charging from afar, likely this would work well. I can check into the one-day-a-week setting to charge. But I would need to tend the second a traditional battery under hood - I think or are they connected ??

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 12v battery is supplied from the main traction battery but I don't know if the ignition needs to be on.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That's the same for the GTE. But the 12V battery is -NOT- charged otherwise from the traction battery, unless a charging, driving or pre-heating session is initiated.

What this means is if the 12V battery runs flat you will not be able to remotely start a charging session, and it may only take a month for that to run flat with things like the GSM modem running for we-connect, the alarm, and various other systems.

If I were in your position I would consider whether it is cost-effective to lease a car then return it early with any relevant penalties. Or sell it privately. At the very least you are paying 9 months depreciation costs and not having the facility of using a car. Maybe there are even dealers willing to offer a 1-year lease term.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe you could use a NOCO trickle charge to keep the 12V topped up, set the car to have a 50% minimum charge via the charge port in EV manager and keep that plugged in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, really good to know they do not charge together !!
Putting on a trickle charger on the 12V battery seems is easy enough.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,350 Posts
I, actually, don't think it will do any harm if you leave the car at ~50%. You'll hurt it if you were to leave it fully charged, but at 50% it will lose 1 to 2 percent per month so you should come back to it with 30~40ish %.

Personally, I would disconnect the 12V battery this will ensure the BMS does not try to be 'over-clever' and reactivate the battery for any "unobvious" reason, thus flattening and damaging it.

Of course, it is not our advice you should take. Put your request in writing to VW and look for a 'binding' statement from them to ensure they do not play silly b*ggers with warranty if you find your car is dead when you get back to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good thoughts. Yes the drain could be small, but winter here in the Northeast US means significant drain to both batteries.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,350 Posts
Good thoughts. Yes the drain could be small, but winter here in the Northeast US means significant drain to both batteries.
Yeah, I didn't catch that detail. I wouldn't want to leave a BEV out in that sort of cold for very long, unused. Can you find an underground garage/long term storage facility that will take the edge off? I think slightly cooler will be better for the battery, actually, but not that much cooler!

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you could find a garage where the car can be left plugged in with the settings set up for a charge once a week to 50%, that could work well I think. But anything else may cause issues for the pack - it is hard to know but a lot of money to risk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts