Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More details have emerged as they have opened the UX300e for orders here in the UK.

Highlights:
it will be nicely made, although the UX is more Toyota than proper Lexus
54kWh battery

Lowlights
50kW Chademo - seriously? In 2020? This was state of the art in 2010.
£40900 base price after PiCG. Or model 3 money.

Ultimately this is pretty direct competition for the Hyundai Kona EV 64 - the kona has longer range, better charging (@stageshoot 's travails aside) and is significantly cheaper. The UX has very poor packaging and offers similar interior space to the kona, and doesn't have the ride or build you'd really expect of a Lexus (as a toyota it isn't bad, but it's not like a Tahara built, Takumi made Lexus).

A ploy to make the hybrids look more appealing in the showroom?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
A ploy to make the hybrids look more appealing in the showroom?
I feel like if that was the case they would have REALLY cheaped out and threw in a smaller battery pack. At 54kWh it does look like they are at least trying to compete with other EVs.

It looks more like they went to their neighbours at Nissan, took a LEAF and decided that they should copy their 'successes'. The 6.6kW AC charger, 50kW Chademo, and lack of proper liquid cooling to the battery sound very familiar.

I Find those specifications disappointing, but I don't think it's terrible for a first attempt either. I mean the LEAF is still selling quite well despite those same flaws.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Battery capacity is irrelevant when the efficiency looks like it is absolutely dire...
It has the same WLTP range as a 41kWh Zoe, so if it is 54kWh, that makes it 290wh/mi. WLTP is usually the best you can hope for in mixed driving an high temperatures!

That or 54kWh is the net capacity, and the useable battery size is much less with a large buffer.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought all car's sold in the EU have to come with a Combined Type 2 / CCS now?
This is the UK spec though. I wonder if they will sell them in EU, or if RHD Japan-spec Chademo is what we get?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
This is the UK spec though. I wonder if they will sell them in EU, or if RHD Japan-spec Chademo is what we get?
The UK us still part of the EU (for now) ... and even then we already adopted the EU mandate for Type 2 Level 2 / CCS Level 3 as standard.

I'm sure there is a loop hole or a clause that allows them to still sell CHAdeMO ... I just feel it will really hurt their sales.

Or Maybe that's the point ... they don't care about the UK sales ... and this is just so they can get their CO2 across the range down more. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I feel like if that was the case they would have REALLY cheaped out and threw in a smaller battery pack. At 54kWh it does look like they are at least trying to compete with other EVs.

It looks more like they went to their neighbours at Nissan, took a LEAF and decided that they should copy their 'successes'. The 6.6kW AC charger, 50kW Chademo, and lack of proper liquid cooling to the battery sound very familiar.

I Find those specifications disappointing, but I don't think it's terrible for a first attempt either. I mean the LEAF is still selling quite well despite those same flaws.
The Leaf is still selling well but at discounts that Lexus won't apply.
Actual price paid will be several thousands difference.
The Leaf has the excuse of a ten year legacy. If Lexus were going to plagiarise they should have looked at the Ariya.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The UK us still part of the EU (for now) ... and even then we already adopted the EU mandate for Type 2 Level 2 / CCS Level 3 as standard.

I'm sure there is a loop hole or a clause that allows them to still sell CHAdeMO ... I just feel it will really hurt their sales.

Or Maybe that's the point ... they don't care about the UK sales ... and this is just so they can get their CO2 across the range down more. :unsure:
I thought we had left but we're in a 12 month transition period?
I'm sure the constant adverts says "the UK has left the EU".

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I thought we had left but we're in a 12 month transition period?
I'm sure the constant adverts says "the UK has left the EU".
We have left in name only ... hence the "Transition"

Anyway my point was when the EU legislation was agreed in 2017 we were part of the EU. In addition as a lot of travel within the EU for holidays I'm sure we agreed and have kept this standard.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
We have left in name only ... hence the "Transition"

Anyway my point was when the EU legislation was agreed in 2017 we were part of the EU. In addition as a lot of travel within the EU for holidays I'm sure we agreed and have kept this standard.
You would hope we will maintain those standards but maybe Lexus are testing the water?

It is a strange time. I panicked as just prior to our recent holiday to Spain I realised I didn't have 6 months buffer on my passport but this is fine during the transition.
I suspect its as and when it suits but officially we have now left.

·
Registered
176 Posts
50kW Chademo - seriously? In 2020?
Seriously? I had no idea that it would be a Chademo unit on a late to market 2020 prestige brand car.

Really disappointed with the 50kw charge speed also.So disappointed I wrote to Lexus, and had a reply from customer services. They are "sorry for my disappointment" and will "take customer feedback onboard" and my points have been "forwarded to the Manager of Product Marketing".

Well, I got a reply I suppose. I essentially told them this car ticks so many boxes- design, build quality, fabled Lexus reliability and dealer back up, and that they have ruined it with a 7 year old charging standard. I did not even realise it was Chademo though. Took for granted it would be CCS. Almost feels as if Lexus bought some spare parts going cheap from Nissan :D. Admittedly most EV drivers charge from home but this should be a great long distance cruiser even with an average range. As long as it had fast CCS charging (100kw or more) it would have been fine.

(I am fast coming to the conclusion that smaller batteries/average range EVs are ok as long as you can charge them pretty quickly as unless you are a travelling rep, the smaller range is fine for 95% of cases and charging ok to do every few days. Why carry all that redundant weight around if it is not needed)

As it is the UXe may be bit of a dead duck in comparison to the huge number of competitor EVs coming out.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(I am fast coming to the conclusion that smaller batteries/average range EVs are ok as long as you can charge them pretty quickly as unless you are a travelling rep, the smaller range is fine for 95% of cases and charging ok to do every few days. Why carry all that redundant weight around if it is not needed)
I absolutely agree with this.

The Tesla 3SR+ is perhaps the best example of this. It is 240kg lighter than the Long Range (not only because of battery - the additional motor in LR also). It is not as long ranged as plenty of other options currently on the market, for example the Kona 64, e-Niro 64, I-pace, etc, but it can charge way faster. A 20 minute supercharge can give 75% charge, whereas the others need 45 minutes + for similar. The SR+ is quicker over a London-Edinburgh run than any of the other cars because of the charging speed.

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
I absolutely agree with this.

The Tesla 3SR+ is perhaps the best example of this. It is 240kg lighter than the Long Range (not only because of battery - the additional motor in LR also). It is not as long ranged as plenty of other options currently on the market, for example the Kona 64, e-Niro 64, I-pace, etc, but it can charge way faster. A 20 minute supercharge can give 75% charge, whereas the others need 45 minutes + for similar. The SR+ is quicker over a London-Edinburgh run than any of the other cars because of the charging speed.
Especially after all the stories of slow charging and borked software updates. Makes you wonder if they are really worth it despite being a little cheaper.

At least at the Zoe/e208 end of the market they’re not pretending to be long range cruisers.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At least at the Zoe/e208 end of the market they’re not pretending to be long range cruisers.
Whilst I absolutely agree with this, it also highlights the truth of this... The zoe50 and e208 have very similar sized battery packs to the 3SR+, but not the charging performance. They'd be perfectly capable long range cars with better charging

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
CT200h is a bit of a steamer, and the Hollywood Wives 430 SC looked pretty shoddy.
And also one of the most ugly cars I have ever seen. Have they been taking design advice from Nissan?
Styling is subjective and that wasn't my point.

I'm referring to the CHAdeMo over a CCS.

That is a massive mistake considering the charging speeds and the fact the Europe is switching to CCS as it's standard.

CCS makes more sense, as it's a Type 2 and CCS in one plug. Type 2 and CHAdeMO are two sockets adding more cost and bigger or charging ports to the car - again adding more cost.

There is obviously a reason for doing this internally but I can't see anything logical so must be a cost, or rights, or something beyond good common sense.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts