Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on the motorway, driving with LFA enabled, my Kona prefers to stay to the left of the lane rather than keep the middle of the lane.
It is so much to the left of the lane that while in the middle or outside lane, overtaking, it is too close for comfort to the other traffic and I have to steer it back to the middle of the lane.
This also means that I am constantly steering against the LFA system, which is quite tiresome on a long journey.

Has anyone else noticed their LFA keeping to the left of the lane?
Is this normal or does it need calibrating?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I find it only applies correction as you get fairly close to the markings, there is a fair width where it doesn't try, I certainly wouldn't expect it to keep me centred.
LKA should act like that, but LFA should keep it in a position without sticking to one side or the other, Mine is a little to the left but I prefer it that way, if its way over hugging the line it needs calibration

·
Registered
268 Posts
LFA will keep me centered but fights me moving slightly to the left when a huge truck approaches making it rather pointless in my rural area of NZ.
If the windshield hasn't been replaced I would expect the dealer to fix any issues under warranty.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I hadn't even realised that LFA and LKA were different things!
I've not really explored cruise control on the Kona much, as on previous cars I've had with simple constant-speed CC, I never used it as I found that being removed from the loop made it too easy to suddenly end up too close to the car in front.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I've not really explored cruise control on the Kona much, as on previous cars I've had with simple constant-speed CC, I never used it as I found that being removed from the loop made it too easy to suddenly end up too close to the car in front.
Did over 200 miles yesterday using smart cruise pretty much the whole way. Performed perfectly despite the tricky conditions. Very relaxing but if you get too relaxed and your hands are not fully on the wheel the whole time or you start drifting it soon tells you (as do your passengers!).

I agree about the LFA - sometimes allows you a bit too close to the left lane when overtaking, but only if the vehicle you are overtaking is over to the right of their lane.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hyundai/Kia have done a really, really terrible job of advertising what is a great feature that a lot of people really want. When you think how over-excited people got about Tesla autopilot, and here is the same thing on a car they can actually afford... And Hyundai/Kia barely mention it.

They didn't even tell reviewers about it, and most of them missed the fact that it's even there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get the same problem - at its worst the tyres will be on the cats eyes. But yeah, the cars on the inside lane will swerve right over when you pass them.

Difficult to say for sure but it feels like it starts off ok but then after 20-30 mins it gradually gets nearer and nearer to the left. Also I feel as if turning the car off and on again resets it. All completely untested but that’s the felling I get.
It’s going in for first service next week so hoping they can do something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have always found mine to keep centred in the lane so have not had your experience. My tiresome thing on a long motorway journey is the constant “keep your hands on the wheel” warning when I do have both hands on the wheel.
Just give the steering wheel a nudge with your knee - works for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
On A-roads I find it bobs on and off with no warning, so one minute it's got you the next it's not. The first I realise is it drifts towards the left and you look at the HUD and see the steering wheel gone. I'm almost reaching the I'd sooner not bother stage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On A-roads I find it bobs on and off with no warning, so one minute it's got you the next it's not. The first I realise is it drifts towards the left and you look at the HUD and see the steering wheel gone. I'm almost reaching the I'd sooner not bother stage.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe check how close you are to the lines using side mirrors.
I also felt it drives a bit closer to the left line than centred but then I checked couple of times the distance in left and right mirror to each line and it seemed to be the same. So for me maybe it was just a perception (I used to drive smaller cars).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seems there are some nuisance "features" with the Kona.

“keep your hands on the wheel” warning and LFA too close to the left lane.

Is it possible to disable both these functions?

·
Registered
604 Posts
There is a considerable amount in the User Manual about the Lane Follow Assist, and the Lane Keep Assist plus associated Lane Departure Warning . See pages 5-85 to page 5-109 here
Dropbox - KONA EV - Simplify your life

I think in the light of the publicity about the incidents wrt Tesla autopilot issues it is very unlikely that Hyundai would make it possible to disable any of the associated alarms while these modes are active...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
You can disable LFA and LKA. Surprisingly enough the information is in the manual :rolleyes:

·
Registered
403 Posts
The brilliant thing about the Cruise is that it will not allow the car to get too close to the car in front. Good on fast roads, also brilliant in stop start traffic. Just remember to pause it when you get to the front of the queue at the roundabout or traffic lights. Otherwise it ain't going to stop!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
The brilliant thing about the Cruise is that it will not allow the car to get too close to the car in front. Good on fast roads, also brilliant in stop start traffic. Just remember to pause it when you get to the front of the queue at the roundabout or traffic lights. Otherwise it ain't going to stop!
Yes, I use it all the time but there are occasions when you get lulled into a false sense of security and I have been slightly alarmed occasionally coming onto a roundabout or traffic lights after a long motorway journey where the car is following the traffic. Just need to remember to take back control!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts