Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've recently installed a SIM in my e-tron and discovered that the On-line Traffic information function is "licensed" for 3 years which, in my case, started on the day of purchase/first registration of the car (so less than a year to go).There is a note on the Audi Connect page for this function that does describe the licence and contains the ominous statement "Your Audi partner will happily tell you about available extension options and any applicable costs."

I've also noticed that when I look at the Audi Connect Service called "Messages" my licence has already expired. This results in the option being greyed out under the Phone functions in the MMI. There is a suggestion in the popup message that is presented on Audi Connect that the licence can be renewed but there is no link nor further information to help in doing so.

I also note that there is also an implicit licence on Map Updates of three years (well 5 updates but I bet these are 5 consecutive six monthly updates).

Here's a list of the Audi Connect Services (for the UK) and a note about any licence I can see:

Traffic information online - licensed as above
Vehicle status report - licensed (no note about duration)
Driving Data - licensed (no note about duration)
Remote Charging - licensed (no note about duration)
Remote Climatization - licensed (no note about duration)
Car Finder - licensed (no note about duration)
Twitter - licensed (no note about duration)
Map update - usage limited as above
myAudi special destinations - no licence indicated
Online news - licensed (no note about duration)
Picturebook navigation - no licence indicated
Destination entry via Google Maps™ - no licence indicated
Destination entry via myAudi - licensed (no note about duration)
City events - licensed (no note about duration)
Messages - licensed (no note about duration - but mine's already expired within 2.5 years)
Bus and train information - licensed (no note about duration)
Flight information - licensed (no note about duration)

I'm wondering whether there are any other licences installed that may expire and what if anything an e-tron owner can do about the renewal of any such licences (and at what cost). I know I could ask my "Audi partner" as in the first paragraph above but the use of "happily" worries me!

Anyone got any thoughts, knowledge, or updates (or additions from different geographies)?

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
306 Posts
When they upgraded the mmi connect in october 2016 they sent an email out saying mmi services would be available foc for 10 years.
I raised the issue with a dealer that some of the services had date limits on them. I was told that some functionality was not part of mmi connect but at the moment they had no way to charge for the extra services so just contact your garage when it runs out and they will re-enable it!!!!!
I will believe it when it hapens but i would expect a few cars will soon be at the renew date soon.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi,

I am having a problem with using a data SIM in my car. For some reason about 6 weeks ago, I noticed that Google maps had stopped updating. On investigation I found the car reporting "Data service not available, Please insert a SIM card". I tried the previously working data SIM in two different mobile phones and it still worked. I tried another SIM (the one I normally use in my phone) in the car and for good measure in the other phone. It did not work in the car but it did in the other phone.

As part of an opportunity to resolve some niggles, I raised this with my dealer this week thinking there to be a physical issue with the SIM reader or some software glitch (another niggle I raised was the "vanishing clock" which I did think must be software-related).

The gist of my dealer's current thoughts is that the Audi Connect licence has expired (and thus, presumably, the car won't read any data SIM).

Looking at My Audi, I see that all the above "licensed" functions, except the Messaging licence, are still "active". I'm now wondering whether there is an overall licence that I cannot find. However,even if there is an overall licence for Audi Connect services that has expired, I cannot see why the car wouldn't accept the data SIM so that I could use it to provide a local Wi-Fi hotspot in the car (surely something that is totally independent of Audi Connect).

Has anyone else got or had this issue and found any resolution?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Stefan

PS: Hope fading for resolution of the other niggles...one of which was the licensing of the messaging function...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I recall that when audi updated the mmi connect service around oct 2016 they sent out an email saying the licence would run for 10 years. Did you not get that message?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Pacetron,

I did see the message, but I was worried more about being advised there being some overall licence that seemingly disabled the data SIM rather than individual services.

I've looked back and found my copy of the email (actually two - dated 21/09/2016 and 26/09/2016). The ones I've got state: "And the best thing: your Audi connect e-tron services will be extended by 10 years – at no further cost.". Given the use of the word "extended" I assume that any expirable licences for me will now run until 26/09/2026 at the earliest and later in the case where there was [unknown] remaining licence in September 2016.

I'll forward the message to my dealer.

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine is reporting that the licence runs out in about 50 days (mid june) when I looked on last weekend to check for map updates. So that will be its 3rd birthday - I don't remember any 10 year emails either - will check at home tonight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
Mine is reporting that the licence runs out in about 50 days (mid june) when I looked on last weekend to check for map updates. So that will be its 3rd birthday - I don't remember any 10 year emails either - will check at home tonight.
Hi MDPlatts,

Which Licence do you see expiring in 50 days time and where?

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,

I got my car back today with a number of outstanding issues. One of which is why the SIM reader has stopped recognising the SIM I installed and which I'd used successfully since October until about 6-8 weeks ago (as described above).

My dealer says that I should use a Data-only EE SIM and that any problem with using another provider's SIM (or indeed a Data and Call SIM) is my problem unless I can demonstrate that the problem remains when using an EE Data-only SIM. Sadly they don't have an approved Data SIM to test any car as "they don't need one...as no-one has problems with using Data SIMs [in their experience]". Indeed Audi (I believe I was told) specify somewhere on their website that the only SIMs that should be used in the e-tron are EE Data-only SIMs for various reasons (which included coverage, which is the least of my problems!).

I have been using a giffgaff SIM (operates over O2) in a Pay As You Go mode (which includes Data) and, as I said above, this worked until a couple of months ago - so for something in the region of 4+ months. It was also suggested that there may have been changes made by giffgaff that caused the SIM not to be recognised by my e-tron.

I'd be interested to know which SIMs (particularly any other than EE) and the service regimes (e.g. Data-Only, Data and Calls, PAYG, Contract) people use successfully and/or any problems they've had with them.

My nagging gut feeling is that there is a physical issue with my e-tron reading my SIM, but I cannot rule out something nasty with a change made by Audi through their embedded eSIM or a change made by giffgaff.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have used a standard phone/text/data Three sim for the past 2.5 years without any issue other than some areas with poor coverage.

Its a
Price plan PAYG on Three

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi All,

I got my car back today with a number of outstanding issues. One of which is why the SIM reader has stopped recognising the SIM I installed and which I'd used successfully since October until about 6-8 weeks ago (as described above).
Any update on this issue? I've got one too

·
Registered
171 Posts
I too have this problem again. Wife's car, so she never noticed lack of data but I had them re-enable it 2 years ago when car turned 3 years old.

Guess they didn't extend it for full 10 years . I'll be sending another email to them again !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have used a standard phone/text/data Three sim for the past 2.5 years without any issue other than some areas with poor coverage.

Its a
Price plan PAYG on Three
i took delivery of an etron last month and installed the same Three PAYG sim. It comes without need for monthly top-up but has free data allowance each month. It seems to be working fine as I have seen notifications of map updates on two or three occasions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Latest update . All licences are in order according to Audi but car still not accepting data SIM in reader . Have found an Audi USA Technical Services Bulletin from Sep 2017 acknowledging issues with SIM card reader for A3's from 2015-2016 .

Their proposal was to swap out the Telephone module unit of the MMI . Quick job but does need some Audi technical updates for new part , or something like that.

I have made my dealer aware and it's back in next week to look at it again. I feel I have done the research for them and will certainly push for a discount on new part if that is required .

Let you know soon the outcome .

·
Registered
66 Posts
My license expired in Dec19. I had a spare SIM card with Free Data, so just put that in.
Last week while talking to the Salesman at my local Dealer (Always looked after me) he just took the details down and fired an email to Germany. Data working again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So Audi confirmed my issue is Telephone Module Unit as I suggested.
Car in on Monday to be replaced out of warranty.

Cost to me is £440 after Audi agreed to cover 70% of total cost which was £1500 incl labour ( 45 minute job ! )

Glad they were pro-active offering deal as I was ready for a fight..

·
Registered
171 Posts
So car back from Audi with new Telephone Module Unit and all working as it should . Same SIM as was in it before so it was definitely the part as mentioned.

Hope this helps if someone has a similar issue but beware it is extortionate to replace normally , over £1500 !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts