Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the rapid at Lidl Gipton the other day. Noticed that the Pod-Point app only had the opening hours of the store on it, although access to the charger is open, so it could be used 24/7.

I let Pod-Point know this to ask they update the info and they have replied to me saying that, although access is 24/7, Lidl are fining EV drivers who charge outside of store opening times and / or who fail to shop in the store whilst charging.

I was somewhat taken aback by this as there is no signage warning of potential fines, and what is the point of restricting a rapid which can be openly accessed when it might really help someone get home late at night. That seems very small-minded.

Replying to my response about lack of signage, Pod-Point told me one of their users has been fined over £200 for just using chargers and not shopping. I hope they've challenged that! Is it someone on here?

What are your thoughts on this? Once charging for charging comes in, I can't see any justification for fining EVers for using the infrastructure. It seems pretty short sited to me and will restrict a usefully expanding network.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,655 Posts
I assume this means that anybody using that car park gets a ridiculous fine out of hours, given that Lidl usually use ANPR?

If so, it is clearly signposted and visible from every bay? If not, it's pretty much unenforceable...

Seems pretty crazy of them to do what they're doing. Either close the car park or let people use it!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Pod-Point told me one of their users has been fined over £200 for just using chargers and not shopping. I hope they've challenged that! Is it someone on here?

What are your thoughts on this?
Lidl are missing a trick in not making the chargers available out of hours but allowing Pod-Point to collect a fee during out of store hours. Perhaps there is a planning constraint on car park use outside store hours.

·
2,655 Posts
Lidl are missing a trick in not making the chargers available out of hours but allowing Pod-Point to collect a fee during out of store hours. Perhaps there is a planning constraint on car park use outside store hours.
If it's a planning restraint they should be physically closing the car park out of hours. To simply charge a fee for someone who may not have even had a chance to notice that they will be charged seems decidedly unfair ...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It will be a miracle if EV Ownership takes off at all with the lack of coordination and organisation in the world of charging.
It's literally just waiting until the batteries are so big you won't need to charge anywhere but the motorway. That's how it will go.

Newcastle famously has hundreds of 7k chargers... unfortunately almost all of them are broken and have been for almost a year. It's just never going to happen this way.

·
2,655 Posts
It's literally just waiting until the batteries are so big you won't need to charge anywhere but the motorway. That's how it will go.

Newcastle famously has hundreds of 7k chargers... unfortunately almost all of them are broken and have been for almost a year. It's just never going to happen this way.
I'd far rather only ever need to charge at my destinations whilst I'm doing something anyway.

It's a fundamental benefit of EVs: they refuel in the background whilst you get on with life.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd far rather only ever need to charge at my destinations whilst I'm doing something anyway.

It's a fundamental benefit of EVs: they refuel in the background whilst you get on with life.
Totally with you. I don't want to be faffing about at Motorway services with chargers that may or may not be working / available. I've been flat bedded twice (on the same day!) due to faulty motorway chargers and haven't even bothered to venture out of range since because of that awful day...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Completely unenforceable without the appropriate signage.
The POFA 2012 would give you protection for this. And £200 goes against BPA code of practice regarding parking charge notices.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
It,s not a fine, just a charge for breach of contract. just ignore it
Agreed, and if there is no signage then there can be no contract to breach.
Some of these leeches do attempt court and often win by default as they are not defended so just ignore is not always appropriate.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did wonder if Pod-Point could try and negotiate a better deal for their users with Lidl. Over time, they will introduce charging for charging at their rapids and it then seems unconscionable that one should be fined for using a service you've paid for...

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
What is disappointing is that @planetpolitic gave no hint of this huge limitation on use in previous - and well received - comments about PodPoints involvement in this Lidl initiative. I would have thought that a heads up to us would have been appropriate.

In particular, the need to be actually buying at that visit is illogical. Someone could be a good and regular customer of Lidl - spending many hundreds over a year's shopping - but just wanted to pop in this time for a charge and find themselves in conflict. A great way for a business to lose loyal customers.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts