Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pricing update. From 3.30pm today the tariff will be 23p/kWh on all rapid chargers.

Some will lament this change and threaten to take custom elsewhere but personally I think this is great news. Freeloaders will no longer occupy chargers for long periods and dwell times likely to be reduced meaning long distance travellers can consider using these chargers to complete their journey. The tariff of 23p/kWh is well judged in my view being slightly more than home users can get but still cheaper than most rapid public charging.

Discuss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m happy with the charge, it couldn’t remain free forever. Also it should free them up a bit more being charged for so you can use them when you need them rather than people just getting a free charge for the sake of it.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'm happy there is a charge but i still feel customers should get some discount or money off their shop, and that over stay charges should be implemented as far to many eejit phev drivers i have come across plug in and walk off for HOURS on a type 2...

Wonder if it will actually kick in for all those who have £0 credit on their podpoint apps... Loads of money will be generated from the ones at Baguley and Wilmslow now from the airport runners.

·
Registered
673 Posts
That seems reasonable to me. My local Lidl seems to have a constant stream of taxi's charging for free and I doubt they are spending anything in the shop. 23p/kWh is reasonable value for a rapid.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
When was this first announced? I'm assuming it was earlier than today.... Good idea but it doesn't seem to have been well publicised so I'm guessing there will be some grumpy people later today.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It was published yesterday from what i can find online and becomes active at 1530hrs.... just in time to catch loads of after school run shoppers...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm happy there is a charge but i still feel customers should get some discount or money off their shop
Why? You are getting a charge at a better price than pretty much any other non domestic charger, why do you want to be subsidized?
AFAIK you dont get money off at Asda or Tesco if you use their petrol stations.

over stay charges should be implemented as far to many eejit phev drivers i have come across plug in and walk off for HOURS on a type 2...
absolutely

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would not mind if they were reliable but my experience is only 50% success. Also whats happened to must be credit card/ contactless

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You've never seen any of those "5p off per litre when you spend £40 in store" offers?
No, F&M doesn't do those :D
So, the equivalent on charging would be about 1p off a kWh. Maybe 25p-50p off a full charge. Not I suspect what KIngpleb was thinking of.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Why? You are getting a charge at a better price than pretty much any other non domestic charger, why do you want to be subsidized?
AFAIK you dont get money off at Asda or Tesco if you use their petrol stations.

absolutely
You do however often see offers to get money off their fuel for shopping there....

Living within the GMEV area means I get plenty of free electrons on the slower posts so I'll just use them a little more now.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,544 Posts
Pricing update. From 3.30pm today the tariff will be 23p/kWh on all rapid chargers.

Some will lament this change and threaten to take custom elsewhere but personally I think this is great news. Freeloaders will no longer occupy chargers for long periods and dwell times likely to be reduced meaning long distance travellers can consider using these chargers to complete their journey. The tariff of 23p/kWh is well judged in my view being slightly more than home users can get but still cheaper than most rapid public charging.

Discuss.
I'm still waiting to be convinced that Rapids at supermarkets are a good idea, and free just encourages people to grab some electrons because they can not because they need to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm still waiting to be convinced that Rapids at supermarkets are a good idea, and free just encourages people to grab some electrons because they can not because they need to.
For those of us without off-road parking, and reasonable range, a supermarket rapid can be ideal - 45 minutes at 50KW would be a "weekly charge" while doing a weekly shop. If you find it free...

·
Registered
673 Posts
As far as I see it, the more rapids the better. Ideally they should also have some type 2 chargers installed with them as well, (preferably 22kW) as not everyone needs to rapid charge or have a car that's capable of making use of the full power of a rapid. Although free is nice if someone else is prepared to pay, I wouldn't avoid chargers with reasonable charges as I would prefer to see charging networks grow.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
I agree free wasn't viable and it encouraged PHEVs to sip at 3kW on AC which is a tad annoying for Zoe owners. Hopefully the price will discourage PHEVs, but free 7kW chargers alongside (like Tesco) would be better. Of course, 22kW load balanced would be even better and doesn't need much more supply.

·
Registered
673 Posts
At my local Lidl I see a lot of Tesla's plugged into the Type 2 outlet and often Chademo and CCS equipped cars when their respective DC connectors are already in use. Fortunately it's rare that I need a rapid charge near home. It will be interesting to see the future use of the charger now they charge.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,544 Posts
For those of us without off-road parking, and reasonable range, a supermarket rapid can be ideal - 45 minutes at 50KW would be a "weekly charge" while doing a weekly shop. If you find it free...
The problem is how do you keep it available for people with no off road parking, it isn't practical, there needs to be more lamppost charging bays for the people with no off road parking.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm happy there is a charge but i still feel customers should get some discount or money off their shop, and that over stay charges should be implemented as far to many eejit phev drivers i have come across plug in and walk off for HOURS on a type 2...

Wonder if it will actually kick in for all those who have £0 credit on their podpoint apps... Loads of money will be generated from the ones at Baguley and Wilmslow now from the airport runners.
I found out when I very kindly made way for a taxi driver on a free rapid yesterday evening (he really needed the charge, apparently...) and nipped down the road to Lidl. The answer is it won't let you charge, "not enough credit available" message. Knowing beforehand would have been helpful.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
A great location for a rapid when on holiday without charging at the destination, idealy with a nice coffee shop like Booths on site.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts