Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why?

I never use slow chargers at the supermarket.

Not only are the chargers as far away as possible from the store I'm lucky if I get say 1kWh of charge.

Many supermarkets also have time restrictions often enforced by the likes Parking Eye with severe penalties.

Perhaps it's just me but the supermarket is for brief stops not a destination for several hours.

Personally I think slow chargers are a complete waste of time except for workplace, P&Rs and home. Would also be nice if out of town cinemas etc had some. Certainly in Scotland the proposal is to change stay times at destination chargers from 12 to 4 hours reducing their usefulness even further. So why are they putting in banks of slow chargers that are neither destinations or places anybody goes is beyond me. Just budgets getting spent...

Like Tesla we need lot's of banks of rapids that are quick and easy to access and use. Wonder where they got that idea, petrol stations, hmm...
If I'm doing some surgical strike 'bloke shopping' then I wouldn't bother plugging in as I'm not likely to be in store more than 15 minutes. But when we do a Sainsbury's shop we have to drive 16 miles and the free 3kW post is sufficient to recoup the mileage we used to get there during a regular shopping trip, more if we have lunch in one of the food outlets. I do usually plug in at our local Waitrose 7kW even though we only spend half an hour there, simply to justify my PolarPlus subscription!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree. They send out a monthly email with details of any new chargers they've installed, including all the Tesco ones, as well as other news, so they could have easily mentioned about Lidl. Either an accidental oversight or deliberate omission.
And a week after Lidl introduce rapid charging, PodPoint get round to mentioning it in their regular email.

·
Registered
735 Posts
And a week after Lidl introduce rapid charging, PodPoint get round to mentioning it in their regular email.
I got that Podpoint email too - but the previous one was over a month ago. Did anyone else know about it over three weeks before introduction ? I certainly don't remember seeing it mentioned in these columns.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I presume you are the Kingpleb who used to be on the Fiat Coupe forum? Times change...

Back on topic, but as usual the lack of standardisation doesn't help. The i3 shows no sign of slowing down up to 95%. Battery charge/rates etc mean it's such a minefield in what is right/wrong.
I might have once been a prolific poster on such a place 😉😋 oh times have changed but I do miss the old beast. Apparently still on the road too!

·
Registered
77 Posts
They were/are special cars, but things move on. Nigel is selling his and I realised it's slower than the M3P I'm ordering soon :LOL:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Nigel had a bonkers setup in the end iirc and there was the guy who had Porsche brakes and bits on his as well. Mine was happy on base boost and lpg with no spikes really. Be good with a grale AWD setup underneath to the 20vt engine

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I wonder if Europe has the same issue with hoggers as we seem to do at free chargers.
Must be a regional problem There was no real issue at Scarborough with that.
I've not seen it in use since the charge came in so I suppose people are shopping elsewhere now.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Not only are the chargers as far away as possible from the store I'm lucky if I get say 1kWh of charge.
Many of us have asked for that. When they are sited close to the store entrance they often get iced.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Must be a regional problem There was no real issue at Scarborough with that.
I've not seen it in use since the charge came in so I suppose people are shopping elsewhere now.
The problem was that some of the carparks have no time limit for parking and that led to blocking of a charger. Also the constant queues of taxi drivers made things ridiculous.
I still believe a 30-45min max connection duration is the way forward.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Many of us have asked for that. When they are sited close to the store entrance they often get iced.
Agreed. There's a rapid at a Costa that I sometimes use. It's right in line with the entrance and doesn't even have signage noting electric cars only. Every time I've been there one of the spaces has been ICE'd.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Agreed. There's a rapid at a Costa that I sometimes use. It's right in line with the entrance and doesn't even have signage noting electric cars only. Every time I've been there one of the spaces has been ICE'd.
Green cones are the only way for this. It happens at the Starbucks near IKEA Warrington loads and that's round the side of the building

·
Registered
897 Posts
When Camera's are not Present this might Happen !

Halifax ( Public Car Par )
North Bridge, Halifax, West Yorkshire,
HX3 5WP

·
Registered
221 Posts
I parked in that car park a couple of weeks back on a Friday night trip to the cinema. Came back at 11pm, and found a chavy fast and the furious street race scene going on

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's simple really - 3,7kw charging at home, work (including long stay car parks), park and ride and hotels. Rapid along major road network adjacent to simple rest facilities (as seen at petrol stations) linked to info system showing how many bays available. All charges at commercial rates. If supermarkets and other places want to provide charging facilities that's fine but they would not get much use unless free or very low cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's simple really - 3,7kw charging at home, work (including long stay car parks), park and ride and hotels. Rapid along major road network adjacent to simple rest facilities (as seen at petrol stations) linked to info system showing how many bays available. All charges at commercial rates. If supermarkets and other places want to provide charging facilities that's fine but they would not get much use unless free or very low cost.
... or by those who do not have convenient home or work changing (a minority, but not tiny)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Possibly, but if I did not have a convenient way of regularly charging it is unlikely that I would go for BEV until the infrastructure is better. It may be a long time before all motorists can go fully electric.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Those who wanted the chargers to be free(ly available) rather than free (to use) must surely be happy now. No one seems to be using them now, not even those who wanted the fee brought in.

·
Registered
735 Posts
A Leaf was using my local Lidl charger last Friday, it was plugged into the type 2 connector and had taken about 6 kWh in the 55 minutes it had been connected. There was no sign of the driver.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Those who wanted the chargers to be free(ly available) rather than free (to use) must surely be happy now. No one seems to be using them now, not even those who wanted the fee brought in.
To control the risk of a queue a single charger must have a usage level that results in it not being used most of the time. Hence I don't see how single rapid chargers can ever make money.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts