Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Living dangerously without home charging!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!
Not sure if this is common knowledge (probably is, knowing me luck!), but thought I'd share just in case this is helpful for anyone else.
I've been using the rapid charger at Lidl in Mirfield for a few weeks and have been activating it via the app.
Works fine, but a bit of a pain in the bum, especially if it's raining.

I did a little experiment and tried selecting the "RFID" option and tapping my Polar Plus card... this activated the charge! I had to present it again to end the charge, and all was fine!

I'm sat here now and I've just done another experiment. I was going to use an RFID tag sticker on the back of my work ID but silly me left it at home, so I tested my contactless bank card instead.... charging activated!

It seems that the Pod Point rapid chargers just use the RFID card to initiate a session, and requires that same RFID tag to end the charging session, so you can happily and completely bypass the app!

My guess is you could potentially activate it with your phone if it has NFC, but I haven't had a chance to experiment yet...

Is this useful info for anyone? I hope so!

EDIT: Tried phone (Samsung Galaxy S4), tapped the back of it to the RFID spot (it is hidden behind the instructions label), started charging!

EDIT 2: As of today, it appears that this no longer works! The RFID option is gone!

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does seem like you can use RFID anything! as long as you don't lost it between starting and stopping your charge!

·
Registered
886 Posts
it's free vend so no £ involved and anything can start the charge

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
When I was at the Scarborough point a few weeks ago, someone had an actual Pod-Point RFID card and was trying to use it (didn't work.) I advised them they needed the app on the phone but they didn't manage to set it all up and get it working so went away not getting a charge. I'll try it here next time but it might be just that one point where they forgot to deactivate the RFID. Given its free to use though, using a-n-other card to start/stop the charge would be fantastic!

Hadn't noticed an RFID option on this one.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Just looked on plugshare the photos of the Lidl Scarborough charger, Mirfield charger,and Doncaster charger all look the same.
Was the RFID" option on the screen Menu ? ( A photo of the Mirfield RFID option would be nice )

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Mirfield:

Scarborough:

I believe the OP meant selecting RFID in the menu options; I've not noticed that option (maybe I've just missed seeing it!)
@joepublic - can you confirm if that's what you meant and if so, where in the process is that option shown?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Will have a closer look at the Doncaster one later this week , But i can't remember seeing a RFID option on the screen at the one's in doncaster, Gipton or Scarborough.
Last used the Scarborough one on sunday
Is the Mirfield charger the newest ?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Out of those three it is.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's my leaf in the Mirfield picture!
I don't have a picture, and may be a few days before I'm back that way, but when you select ChaDeMo, plug your car in and press start, the screen tells you to activate using the app, and there's a tab on the left for RFID...

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That's my leaf in the Mirfield picture!
I don't have a picture, and may be a few days before I'm back that way, but when you select ChaDeMo, plug your car in and press start, the screen tells you to activate using the app, and there's a tab on the left for RFID...
The other one's mine!
Thanks for the extra info, I'll look out for that next time.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK WHO BLABBED TO POD POINT!?

Just kidding, but it's an odd coincidence that I went back to this charger today and the RFID option is no longer available...

It was also slightly hilarious as the data allowance on my phone had just run out so I wasn't able to activate using the app!
I gave PodPoint a call though and spoke to Laura who called me "darling" and "poppet" which made me smile and got me charging as quick as it would have taken with the app!

So my questions which might never be answered:
1) Was this a single rogue charger?
2) Was this a "flaw" in the whole network which they patched?
3) Is someone watching this forum?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
If nothing else, it suggests the posts could be operated by RFID card without any hardware changes, so any talk of expensive retrofitting could be seen as misleading.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OK WHO BLABBED TO POD POINT!?

Just kidding, but it's an odd coincidence that I went back to this charger today and the RFID option is no longer available...

It was also slightly hilarious as the data allowance on my phone had just run out so I wasn't able to activate using the app!
I gave PodPoint a call though and spoke to Laura who called me "darling" and "poppet" which made me smile and got me charging as quick as it would have taken with the app!

So my questions which might never be answered:
1) Was this a single rogue charger?
2) Was this a "flaw" in the whole network which they patched?
3) Is someone watching this forum?
I would go with 3) Is someone watching this forum?
And Using the heading :
Lidl/Pod Point rapid charging - RFID experiment
it would not be hard to find :whistle:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That fool!
Well done for sussing out RFID cards could be an option. Yes please Lidl, I suppose it's you paying!
Nothing wrong with phone apps for those that like them, but I prefer not to carry a phone! What's wrong with the old Pod-Point card that still happens to be in my car's glovebox as an alternative? It means there would then be two ways to get the points to work and for some they may then get home when their phone is a goner. You can't even phone up to ask them to start a charge with a dead phone, and invariably smartphones go flat very fast. Consequently some of us positively hate mobile phone apps.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Pod-Point seemed to fix the RFID issue far quicker than they fix some broken points. Take poor old Emma-Ivan in Bridlington which has hardly ever worked as it should spending many a week inoperable or only working on one side, or charging at a slow rate. Then there is this general fixation of charger providers (including PP) with phone apps after distributing (to those that wanted one) an RFID card. Why not make them work with BOTH! @joepublic inadvertently discovered it can be done (and CYC do this as well of course.)
On the one hand I'm considering the new Leaf, on the other, ditching the Leaf altogether and go back to using my Fabia. I happened to put some petrol in it after a long spell out of use. I was in and out of the petrol station (Morrisons) in less than four minutes and no phone was required! And it wasn't even ICE'd or EV'd either. See, it can be done. I even had time to ask them if and when they were getting EV chargers (yes, a real person to speak to there.) Not sure they knew what I was on about! Maybe its time to go back to that simpler life even if it might cost on occasion a teeny bit more (but with some charge post providers the petrol might even cost a bit less.) I'm not really surprised the majority of motorists still dismiss the EV given the simplicity of refuelling compared to an EV. Morrisons even provided a hose and nozzle to connect to the petrol tank, I didn't have to get my cable out. So why is charging an EV made into such a complex operation?? It needs resolving for most motorists who currently dismiss EVs as a gimmick still. Doing away with forcing phone apps on users would be a start.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts