Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We visited a newly opened Lidl Supermarket today and as our car was just below the 50% SOC, decided it would be a good idea to top up the car. The post says upto 22kWh.

It took 5.6kWh in around 50 minutes, not too sure about the time though, but charging speed showed c26mph, so I'm fairly certain it's charging at just above 7kWh. Two posts were available and my car was the only one in use.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Going by your name I assume you have an e-208, is that right?

The base model has a 7kW single phase charger. But if you paid, you could add the optional extra of 3-phase charging of up to 11kW. Neither model can manage anywhere near 22kW. Remember, AC charging uses your car's onboard charger so will be limited by that. To charge at any significant speed you will need to use DC CCS Charging where you will be able to get speeds up to 100kW.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
Yes, you'd need a Zoe (or car with similar charging capacity, anyone know of one?) to charge at that rate.

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
anyone know of one?
Other than the Zoe, you have the electric Smart cars, and some of the earlier Teslas with the dual charger configuration. I think the Taycan can also do 22kW now too?

There really aren't many out there. The few cars that do 3-Phase charging are mostly limited to 11kW, though 7kW Single phase is very much the standard across most EVs.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,639 Posts
Tesla Model S and X will charge at 16.5kW on a 3 phase supply. Models 3 and Y only 11kW.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going by your name I assume you have an e-208, is that right?

The base model has a 7kW single phase charger. But if you paid, you could add the optional extra of 3-phase charging of up to 11kW. Neither model can manage anywhere near 22kW. Remember, AC charging uses your car's onboard charger so will be limited by that. To charge at any significant speed you will need to use DC CCS Charging where you will be able to get speeds up to 100kW.
Yes, an e208.

OK, so I just getting this now, Type 2 only does 7kWh and I'm sure mine has 7kWh. I got confused as my car with CCS will take up to 100kWh.

Learning all the time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did you find to do in Lidl that lasted 50 minutes? ;)
Killing two birds with one stone, it's a new retail park with other shops there as well, my wife visited the shops and I took the dog for a walk in the park opposite. I'm surprised my wife only took 50 minutes. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,479 Posts
I have noticed all the new Lidl rapids have either a 22kw Socket or a 22kw Type 2 cable and thats a really thin cable compared to the 43kw that they have older Lidl Rapids,
The photo of the one below does not even mention the output on the front of the charger which is Type 2 AC 22kw cable

The one below is in Doncaster :

Lidl Balby (Coming Soon)
4 Sandford Rd,
Doncaster DN4 8EE, UK

·
Registered
7 Posts
We visited a newly opened Lidl Supermarket today and as our car was just below the 50% SOC, decided it would be a good idea to top up the car. The post says upto 22kWh.

It took 5.6kWh in around 50 minutes, not too sure about the time though, but charging speed showed c26mph, so I'm fairly certain it's charging at just above 7kWh. Two posts were available and my car was the only one in use.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have noticed all the new Lidl rapids have either a 22kw Socket or a 22kw Type 2 cable and thats a really thin cable compared to the 43kw that they have older Lidl Rapids,
The photo of the one below does not even mention the output on the front of the charger which is Type 2 AC 22kw cable

The one below is in Doncaster :

Lidl Balby (Coming Soon)
4 Sandford Rd,
Doncaster DN4 8EE, UK

View attachment 138921
This Lidl has two fast charging posts. So you use your own cable to connect.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Type 2 does more than that. On a properly equipped Zoe it'll go up to 43 kW.
Just when I thought I was getting a good grasp of things, you confuse me with this.

My recent understanding was I could only get above 7kWh charging if using CCS.

Incidentally, my COC says "maximum power input in 30 mins = 57kWh".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts