Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Is it ok to charge at a pod point in a lidl store after it has closed - say after 4pm on a sunday. the only thread i can find is old and says you cant ?

Also if you have to shop in the lidl store to use the charger could you buy a 20p tin of beans and then charge.

Needed a charge badly today and didnt want to risk a fine.

Cheers
Caine

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,006 Posts
You may want to be more specific about which Lidl store. However, if the car park is open and there’s no restriction on stopping in the car park then you can most likely plug in and charge. You don’t even have to actually buy anything in the store! 😱

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,572 Posts
Theres absolutely no checks at the Lidl I use. It’s convenient for the city centre and has a two hour parking limit. So I’ll often park there, plug in, go get a nice coffee and do some errands. I may grab some groceries from Lidl if I need them.
As there’s no barrier, nothing to stop you charging outside store hours.

I’m not clear who funds these, whether it’s Lidl themselves as a sort of loss leader or external funding. But basically if it’s available and works, use it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes but its obviously up and running now.

I finish work at 1.30am so going there to charge and nipping across the road to the 24hr asda would be ideal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes. i have used it successfully once with the app but then paniced in case i got a fine. not used it since

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If it’s a rapid, it won’t be free to use, so I doubt you have to be a customer to use it - and you wouldn’t need 90min on it - 40-50 should do. But if you are using it, why would you pop to an Asda when you are already in a Lidl, that makes no sense!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As stated previously i finish work at 1.30am so i could shop at the 24 hour asda across the road when lidl is shut.

i just wamt to be sure if i charge car when lidl is shut or without purchasing that i wont be fined.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ah ok.

I guess, if there is no barrier, and the rapid I paid for one, then it’s fine to use whenever... if it’s free and provided by Lidl, you may fall foul - but if there are parking restrictions they should be clearly displayed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You really need to check the signage at the car park. Car parks that are monitored using ANPR cameras sometimes (but not always) only allow parking during store opening hours. But you can only be charged a penalty if the signs clearly and unambiguously state what is (and is not) allowed. So rather than asking us, pop over to the car park and read the signs :).

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
415 Posts
The only time I ever used a Lidl charger I had to pay for it. The shop was open and as it happens we went in for a snack, but didn't feel any obligation to do so.

If the shop's closed and the charger's free, it's silly of them to leave it switched on if they don't want you to use it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My local Lidl has ANPR operated by Parking eye.

They have loads of signs about parking restrictions - 90 mins max applies 24 hrs a day. Doesn't say anything about a minimum return time, so in theory you could drive out and straight back in and carry on charging?

I did charge in there today after the shop has closed, but it does say 24 hr on the parking sign, so will be OK.

Have attached a pic of the sign for you.

Blue Font Electric blue Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent. That is exactly what i was after. from memory that looks the same sign as ashton with 90 mins max.

Much appreciated

·
Registered
891 Posts
Good idea to take a photo of the signs for your own records in case of future issues. Include a bit of the background as context. Quite a lot of car parks do have signs that state No return within X hours.

That seems very unusual placement of a Rapid. Won't an i3 end up reversing in, and half sticking out the space to get the cable to reach.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Zap-Map shows the Lidl Ashton Under Lyne PodPoint as out of service 4 days ago (as I type), so please post an entry if you get a successful charge, and on what connector.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i tend to use the pod point app which is more accurate. it says chademo is out of service the other 2 are fine type 2 - ccs

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
i tend to use the pod point app which is more accurate. it says chademo is out of service the other 2 are fine type 2 - ccs
OK but I think the majority of people use Zap-Map, so it's helpful to keep that up to date. I prefer a one-stop shop rather than using different apps for every charger I visit.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts