Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New lidl store is just about to open close to me. It has a pod point rapid charger. It doesn't seem to be contactless enabled . surely this is not allowed now ??

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,472 Posts
I think the relevant government guidance merely states ‘should’ rather than ‘will’ offer contactless payments as an option.

I think they’re still pursuing the carrot approach rather than the stick, and encouraging compliance through partially grant funded units.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Maybe it’s Angela Merkel’s way of exacting revenge for us leaving the EU and hogging all the vaccine! 🤔

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,181 Posts
Perhaps the FrancoGerman axis don't care for UK laws? :devilish:
Oh I forget you 100% Brits didn't get them memo!

Euro passports are detected automatically and charge for free 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Never been so relieved my father is foreign! 😆😆😆

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the relevant government guidance merely states ‘should’ rather than ‘will’ offer contactless payments as an option.

I think they’re still pursuing the carrot approach rather than the stick, and encouraging compliance through partially grant funded units.
I didnt realise that, thought is was mandatory ,god our government is weak at times !! i don't mind using apps but they don't always work and its confusing for the masses!

·
Registered
465 Posts
We had a new Lidl open with a Pod-Point a couple of months ago. App only.

Government seems to think the threat of using powers to enforce it will mean the market will do what they want. Lots just carry on regardless.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
770 Posts
It might be free. Our local Aldi has a 22kWh newmotion point which is free to use, just plug in and you’re off.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
It might be free. Our local Aldi has a 22kWh newmotion point which is free to use, just plug in and you’re off.
You mean 22kW, then, which would probably only deliver 7kW to CHAdeMO/CCS vehicles via a type 2 connector (guessing really). The PodPoint chargers are 50kW rapids and at both Lidls where I have used them, they are charged at 23p/kWh.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,112 Posts
You mean 22kW, then, which would probably only deliver 7kW to CHAdeMO/CCS vehicles via a type 2 connector (guessing really). The PodPoint chargers are 50kW rapids and at both Lidls where I have used them, they are charged at 23p/kWh.
Depends on make of car. Some 3.3, some 6.6. Whilst some do 11 and 22.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
836 Posts
I've never had an issue with the podpoints, although in my experience if someone hits the emergency stop and doesn't reset it, the charger shows as offline. So basically unless you actually visit you don't know whether or not it is actually working or not, although I've never experienced one that isn't working, they seem pretty reliable.
I just wish the type 2 was free like other 7kW podpoints, or at least cheaper per kWh than the DC.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
I just wish the type 2 was free like other 7kW podpoints, or at least cheaper per kWh than the DC.
Going by your profile you have an Ioniq. It can't charge at 22/43kW AC So definitely shouldn't be connected to a rapid charger by anything other than CCS. We don't need to start making it free so people block it for hours.

AC43 Type 2 Rapid is designed for the Renault Zoe (and a select few other models) - Not for a PHEV or for people with other EVs to get a free slow charge.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
836 Posts
Going by your profile you have an Ioniq. It can't charge at 22/43kW AC So definitely shouldn't be connected to a rapid charger by anything other than CCS. We don't need to start making it free so people block it for hours.

AC43 Type 2 Rapid is designed for the Renault Zoe (and a select few other models) - Not for a PHEV or for people with other EVs to get a free slow charge.
Yeah I appreciate that, I was more making the point that most podpoint 7kWs are free, but if your local has a rapid charger then they aren't. It's either one or the other, be good if the sites had 7kw and a rapid option.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Yeah I appreciate that, I was more making the point that most podpoint 7kWs are free, but if your local has a rapid charger then they aren't. It's either one or the other, be good if the sites had 7kw and a rapid option.
Where the power and parking is available, you'll sometimes find both. I can think of a couple I have visited in the past where there was both a rapid as well as AC Posts.

I think my local is one of the few exceptions where we don't have a Pod Point at all. Instead it's a Geniepoint AC Post which requires payment to use.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yeah I appreciate that, I was more making the point that most podpoint 7kWs are free...
I tried one at Rushden Lakes at the weekend - it was marked 7kW on both sides. There was an EQC on the other side when I got there, and it left after about 15 minutes. It wasn't running at 7kW, and still wasn't after the EQC left. And, yes my car has a 6.6kW charger.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
836 Posts
I tried one at Rushden Lakes at the weekend - it was marked 7kW on both sides. There was an EQC on the other side when I got there, and it left after about 15 minutes. It wasn't running at 7kW, and still wasn't after the EQC left. And, yes my car has a 6.6kW charger.
Yeah they won't run at 7kw, more like 6.6 tops, maybe even 6.2kW
What speed did you get? Note if your car has a battery heater (like the ioniq) in these cold temps it may use 2kw warming the battery first so first 30 minutes or so may appear very slow.
I don't bother with them this time of year, a 35% top up can take nearly 3 hours on mine. If only stopped for an hour to visit the supermarket I'd probably only get about 4-5kwh, barely worth the effort of plugging it in to save 50p (even less if you are on Octopus go or something)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts