Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a letter through the door a few days ago from the Lidl across the street from me. They're buying the land of the two buildings next door to the current store, demolishing the existing store and building a brand new, larger and much more modern store to replace it. I remember seeing that many Lidl stores now have EV charging so I was excited to read the plans but after reviewing the proposal I saw that they've accomodated for:

"161 car parking spaces, including 10 disabled and 10 parent & toddler spaces"

Not a single mention of EV or charging in any of the reports, surveys, environmental reports etc. How disappointing! I filled out their feedback and mentioned that even 1 or 2 bays/chargers would be a welcome addition but I'm doubtful that they would change anything at this point.

Seems like an odd choice no?

Edit: Full details Lidl West Howe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe because Bournemouth already has a lot of rapids?
Maybe. This is the one out by West Howe though, about 20 minutes out of Bournemouth centre. It's one of the popular routes in/out of Bournemouth/Poole and I'm sure it would be well utilised in the summer.

Not the end of the world just thought in a re-build they would just include it by default.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Of course, the more rapids the better (provided they are accessible to all).

I'm not au fait with what arrangement they have with podpoint. No harm in contacting them and asking them?.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Hmm. that is annoying. If you look at the "Site (Block) Plan Proposed", spaces 52-55 would make a great EV rapid charging bay.

Planning Application Display

Edit: STOP PRESS! It seems that these plans involve demolishing the Royal Mail delivery office... and Royal Mail themselves have objected (comment 3). How can this happen if one of the businesses due to be demolished objects!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Royal Mail's lease is up in 2021 and I'm guessing the landowner got a better offer from Lidl. RM can try to scupper planning application but objecting is about all the can do.

I am going to respond to the letter asking why there won't be chargers. In 2021 the EVs will be way more common.

·
Registered
694 Posts
A similar rebuild near an existing store in Norwich now has a triple-headed rapid and two dual Type 2 posts, so I would think there's a good chance that your local branch will follow suit. Definitely worth prodding them.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
It would seem useful to submit objections to the planning application saying that it should have EV charging provision, in accordance with paragraph 34 of the National Planning Policy Framework.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/6077/2116950.pdf

I have already done so, but objections from local residents may have more weight.

It may also be worth looking at your council's Local Plan to see if there's anything in that which can be read as requiring EV charging - objections are much more likely to be taken into account if they hinge on official policy documents rather than just "I think".

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
With the Scarborough one they simply thought it would be a good idea and included it in their plans. Definitely worth pursuing. The only reason I can think they haven't is a budgetary thing, they've allowed for so many overall and used up that quota for now.
Pod-Point haven't got any presence around Poole/Bournemouth so would seem to make sense for then to encourage Lidl to have a charger in the area.
Can only think they looked and saw how well served the area already is for rapids and deduced it wouldn't encourage extra visits to the store. So far they've looked at towns not served already with rapid charging facilities where having a rapid will draw in customers from around the surrounding area, which indeed is what happens. For instance the next nearest rapids to the Scarborough one are over 40 miles way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts