Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, assuming the change in Government Grant doesn't scupper my company car hope's, I'm waiting for confirmation of what's possible.

Should I go from my (personal lease) Golf 7.5 GTD to the lower powered but better spec version or the higher power lower spec?

Opinions and thoughts welcomed.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Life lacks the rear-view parking camera. I really like this feature, so it's sad Life lacks it imho.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
520 Posts
I think the Business Pro would be just over the £35k for the government grant assuming VW don't reduce the price.

Not sure how fast your current Golf is but I'd imagine the Pro is fast enough for most people but there again I was happy with the acceleration of the original Leaf when I test drove that so obviously I'm easily pleased :LOL:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would go for the lower power higher spec car, matrix headlights can’t be retrofitted on the life but depends what driving you would be doing.

Hopefully VW reduces the business pro to just under £35k for the grant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Golf is about the same acceleration and I enjoy that, I'll be going for the bike prep so thought the camera could be useful to see through them. But as Clarkson says, Power...

·
Registered
332 Posts
My Golf is about the same acceleration and I enjoy that, I'll be going for the bike prep so thought the camera could be useful to see through them. But as Clarkson says, Power...
As the grant looks at the price before options are added, can you get round it by choosing the Life and speccing it back up with options?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,733 Posts
If you like acceleration at higher speeds then go for power. The e-Golf is ok but doesn't feel as quick when overtaking, I assume the lower powered ID is similar.

It's all personal choice but I would go for power over spec.
Unlike the e-Golf, the lower powered ID.3 shouldn't spin it's wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As the grant looks at the price before options are added, can you get round it by choosing the Life and speccing it back up with options?
I don't think there's that many options, it's more a trim choice. We'll see what work say this week...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,732 Posts
I don't think there's that many options, it's more a trim choice. We'll see what work say this week...
Just be aware that the Life has no map pockets on the back of the front seats. They do have heaters, though!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Life doesn't dip the mirrors when reversing into parking space. It's a feature I miss, as helps to avoid kerbing the alloys at roadsides. To be fair, the ID.3 Andoya alloys don't protrude much, so I think the sidewall gets squidged a bit before they'll get a bash!

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
520 Posts
I can set the near side mirror to dip on reversing on my LIfe, unfortunately there's no setting to stop the wife squeezing the sidewalls on the kerb as she tries to reverse into our drive, thankfully we just went for the steel wheels 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Ah. Maybe I missed that mirror-dip setting. Can't try it now as have sold it!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,886 Posts
Ah. Maybe I missed that mirror-dip setting. Can't try it now as have sold it!
I think all ID.3s have it, you have to ensure that the rotary switch on the drivers grab handle is set to L, otherwise it won’t dip. If you set it to R, the right one dips instead.

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
158 Posts
Unlike the e-Golf, the lower powered ID.3 shouldn't spin it's wheels.
There were times when I managed to spin the wheels in my first car, a 1.2 litre Polo with 65PS when new, and I'm sure less when I had it :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure there will be situations where a 150PS ID.3 could spin the wheels- although unlike with my old Polo, the ESP system should kick in!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think all ID.3s have it, you have to ensure that the rotary switch on the drivers grab handle is set to L, otherwise it won’t dip. If you set it to R, the right one dips instead.
The time I figured how this should work is the same time I realised my rotary switch is temperamental. Rotating the switch doesn't always get the light to move.

Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the choice was removed with the change in government grant. Life it is but certainly in the Pro Performance. Question for the Life owners... how are the lights compared to other LED or Xenons. I've got LED on my GTD and they are great, as long as they are like these I'm happy. They can't be worse than my wife's halogen beemer 😆.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
520 Posts
They are really bright, I've had to adjust the dip setting in ours to stop people flashing at us!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,733 Posts
Well, the choice was removed with the change in government grant. Life it is but certainly in the Pro Performance. Question for the Life owners... how are the lights compared to other LED or Xenon's. I've got LED on my GTD and they are great, as long as they are like these I'm happy. They can't be worse than my wife's halogen beemer 😆.
The non-matrix lights on the Life are at least as good as the LED headlights on my e-Golf.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts