Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not a bad review overall and it's difficult to argue with most of the points raised. As the conclusion says, it's difficult to justify the purchase of the Ampera purely on financial grounds - it's just a great car.

CliveS

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I agree, a very fair review. I think the thing about financial cases and cars is that it's not always the key thing that many people make it out to be. After all, Phil says in reply to my comment at the bottom that most buyers will keep a car for 3-4 years, which afaik is true. But that means taking the highest years of depreciation..then changing it. If its a company lease, the depreciation is still factored in to the monthly lease cost. Financially that's bad news...but loads of people do it because they want the car anyway. I bought my Ampera intending to keep it (like my last car) for 7-8 years at least, assuming its well enough made to be reliable that long! Given the annual savings I'm on track to make, as it matches my driving patterns well, I don't think it's going to cost me any more over the time I have it than a conventional car of the sort I would have bought instead - possibly less. So it was much easier for me to say '...and I *want* it because its unique and technologically advanced.." :)

·
Premium Member
11,674 Posts
With the proposed changes to the London congestion charge and low sales volumes of the Ampera/Volt, I predict 3 year old values will surprise everyone. At that point they will still have 5 years battery warranty and I think most owners will have looked after them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts