Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one point a few weeks ago I was up to 105mpg lifetime but I have needed to do a few long runs recently and now I am down to under 90mpg :cry:

Mind you, we have the Ampera specifically for those longer trips, trips we can't easily do in the Nissan Leaf, so I am not too unhappy. It is doing exactly what it was designed for... short, daily trips on battery but still has long trip capability.

Mind you, it would be good not to have to do the longer trips so the lifetime MPG can get up a bit ;)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Paul, if I can get anywhere near 90mpg average over time with my Ampera, I'll be sitting pretty - after 8 years running a Jag diesel at 30mpg :)

Incidentally, is your lifetime number taken from the car computer, or have you done a bit of manual calculation ?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! We had a Land Rover Freelander 2 before the Ampera. It was very good for a 4x4 but still only 35-40mpg so I am not unhappy. I suppose the thing for me is that I know the Ampera can do much better if I could only do shorter trips... just spoilt now!

I have just taken it from the car... I don't keep records myself.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I read an article recently from a US motoring site to the effect that for many hybrid vehicle trail-blazers in the US, 'range anxiety' of an all electric vehicle is being replaced by 'fuel anxiety' in a hybrid. I think it was a bit tongue in cheek lol :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
My lifetime is currently 161 mpg. I've been runing a seperate trip since getting regular charging at work and that is currently 5800 miles at 228 mpg.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having a regular commute with charging at work is the ideal way to run an Ampera IMO... like you are dpeilow. Most people have a daily commute and for most people it is well within the range of the Ampera so you would think that it would appeal to most people... not so. Most people I talk to are quite negative about EVs in general and are put off the Ampera by the purchase cost. We all know the argument about that one.

I work from home so I don't really have a regular, daily run but I will have from now on as I have a trip of about 30 miles which I expect to be doing in not every day but most days so we will see how that helps. Other half has another 300 mile each way trip to do again this weekend without charging so that definitely won't help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
RayG said:
My Lifetime MPG is currently 232 :D
Hi, I'm new to the Ampera and have had mine for about 3weeks, I'm travelling 120 miles a day and found I only get about 33 miles on electric @ 65mph and it never shows a start distance on more than 35 miles. I would have thought that I would get more, I don't get a chance to recharge during the day and my lifetime mpg is down to 62 :-(

But love the car!!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At a steady 65 I wouldn't think you would get much more. To get 45+ I drive at 50 - 55 max and I am very light footed on both the go and stop pedals in L mode. It is very boring to drive like that and that is one reason my range per charge is actually dropping... I am driving the car faster and often in Sport mode. Good fun but bad on the range!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have owned my Ampera now for 3 months and 4,500 miles. M journeys vary between local runs of less than 50 miles regular journeys of 100 miles with a 3 hour 13amp mid journey charge, occasional journeys of 200 miles again with a 3 hour 13amp mid journey charge and finally very occasional journeys of 200 miles with no mid journey charge.

In the summer (what summer?) I was getting a lifetime of 105 miles. I am now down to 95.6. That is due to two factors. More longer journeys than before AND a fall from regular 48miles on a full charge down to 35 or less. This seems to be because of the lower temperatures needing heater and demist and possibly because of darker days needing lights on.

I now have a different kind of 'range anxiety'. If the range on a full charge keeps dropping and my longer journeys become more common. I do have two construction projects at rating on site soon each 90miles away from home, but here I am hoping that the builder will provide a temporary 16amp charging point in the site compound:).

I have another project where I need to stay in a hotel overnight but here the hotelier allows me to charge at 13amp and he has put in two 16amp charging points. Another hotel local to this refused to even allow me a 13 amp charge. Obviously I don't stay there!

Provided that my lifetime does not drop below say 85mpg I will remain happy with my Ampera. I love driving it. I drove to Porthmadog recently from Shrewsbury and didn't use the brakes except to bring the car to a halt. I drive in low, drop back from the cars in front, and use 'low' for braking and regenerative charge. 50mph all the way, lots of long steep hills up and then down but still can't get better than 38miles on a full charge.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lights won't affact the range by anything noticable... neither will radio. The current draw from those items are so low it is almost insignificant when compared to the needs of the motor.

Lifetime mpg will never be a reason to be disappointed with the car. It can never get below the petrol only mpg and that is a lot better than our previous car and better than most cars of this size and spec. Anything above about 60mpg lifetime and it will be better than any other car I have owned. It will never get that low unless I never charge so nothing to worry about there :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts