Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what people's niggles are with their Soul, perhaps compared to previous cars, and what specific points they like about the car.

I have now had mine for several days and put the first 500 - 600 miles on it,and early comments are:

General Impressions
In general, I am thoroughly enjoying the car - I put a lot of effort into researching the move to EV, and subsequently the Soul in particular, and so far I feel it has paid off. No regrets. The silent start, the instant power, the efficiency, the levels of tech, and the pleasing quality in the way that it is all implemented, is all compelling. I am loving surprising people who have been in it with me with just how good the car is.

If I were to pin point specifics, so far I would go for

The instant torque, silent drivetrain and smooth ride. I already can't envisage ever wanting to return to ICE.​
The LED lights are the best I have had.​
The sound system is outstanding - I went for a solo drive and created a playlist on Spotify that I felt would make the most of the system, and turned it up like a proper chav (out of town). Blew me away. I had to turn it down a notch in the end before it gave me a headache.​
The efficiency is outstanding - without even trying I am getting 4.3m/kwh locally, and I took it on a 220 mile round trip to Chester Zoo yesterday and got 3.8m/kwh on the motorway​
The GOM is reassuringly accurate. Makes my wife smile when turning up the AC knocks a mile or 2 off the GOM​
The rear view camera is surprisingly high res and is probably the best camera I have had to date (once I took the protective plastic tip off it that the dealer left in place)​
The way in which the blind spot detection system has been implemented is by far the best I have had​
Having changed the tyres to GY P2s, I am happy that they are much better than the originals​

Niggles
Most of these are really minor, comparing the car to previous ones

Not a big fan of the wheels and wish there was a choice of wheel replacements in the UK​
Android Auto not being widescreen - this one really does annoy me and I hope it is sorted soon with an upgrade, otherwise I might find myself having to buy a cheap cracked screen iphone just to keep in the car and use for Carplay. (My regular phone is a work phone)​
The carpet on the passenger side leaves an uncovered bit in the footwell - unnecessary and cheap.​
The phone mat area is not quite wide enough for my phone with a cable plugged in, without balancing it on an angle. I bought a cable with a 180 degree angle connector, which fits OK, but found that it is not a data cable, so no use for Android Auto. If anyone has any suggestions as to cables with 180 degree or 90 degree connections that are good data cables and would fit, let me know.​
Would prefer it if both USB ports had been data ports so I could have both my phone and a USB music stick plugged in at the same time. Failing that, for the data port to handle multi port adaptors, which it apparently can't.​
Unless I am missing a setting, it appears that the auto lights don't turn on after a set number of wipes of the wipers. When the wipers are deployed because it is raining, the lights should come on.​
Why no back seat pocket on the drivers side? And the one on the passenger side is pretty tight. I use these to put my gloves and woolly hat in for the winter.​
Interestingly, I thought the start up / switch off jingles would irritate me, but actually they don't. At least they serve notice that the car is actually turned on / off.​

Charging
In terms of charging, I specifically went out to test some rapids / fast chargers so I know that I understand how to use them when I need to. I felt a bit self conscious the very first time - people watching because they are intrigued about EV maybe, and I have to make it look like I know what I am doing :eek: , but I coped :cool:
In the end, my findings so far are

Instavolt (M1 J29a, Chesterfield) - worked perfectly and so easy.​
Ecotricity (M1, J31, Woodall Services, northbound) - worked - I was surprised.​
Ecotricity (M62, J18, Birch Services Westbound) - CCS out of use on 1 unit. Broken connector on other unit.​
Podpoint - Chester Zoo - worked perfectly, such a good feeling get a nice free ride home from a well placed destination charger.​

In the end, I now feel happy that I know what I am doing, but think my go-to network will be Instavolt. They are precisely how the charging network should be.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm really happy with it.

Done some longish drives, 200 miles, and not felt tired or any backache so the seats are good and it's a relaxing place to be.

The only thing I'd really like to improve is the ride on B roads, it's a bit bouncy. I've changed the tyres but hasn't really fixed it.

I've order a new phone, Pixel 4a, which will fit.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,642 Posts
Nice write up! Agree with all!

I'm so far surprised by Ecotricity. Instavolt is a piece of cake!

My likes/niggles:
  • love the "search stations" capability, but would have loved a filter, e.g. network or Rapids;
  • I played a movie on the main screen and was blown away by the sound system!

Reactions: DSLRed

·
Registered
54 Posts
As mentioned before, the inability to customise all features for start-up - have to turn off Lane Keeping Assist and turn on Auto Hold - every time.
Used to it now but still a bit irritating.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As mentioned before, the inability to customise all features for start-up - have to turn off Lane Keeping Assist and turn on Auto Hold - every time.
Used to it now but still a bit irritating.
Yes, agree with that, certainly about lane keep assist being turned off. It's become part of my start up routine. I am not so worried about auto hold, I like the 'creep' you get like a regular ICE auto with it not on, although it is not too pronounced. I turn auto hold on only when stationary on a big hill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Auto hold is very good in town - London now has some big waits for lights particularly with cycle lights.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice write up! Agree with all!

I'm so far surprised by Ecotricity. Instavolt is a piece of cake!

My likes/niggles:
  • love the "search stations" capability, but would have loved a filter, e.g. network or Rapids;
  • I played a movie on the main screen and was blown away by the sound system!
Agree, if there was a search filter on type or provider it would pretty much render zap map irrelevant. Hopefully, that is something that could be delivered with an upgrade.

I am going to have to download some stuff from Netflix and try the movie play facility now. Does it need to be on a dedicated USB stick where the movies are all at root level, or will it find movie files anywhere on my phone?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,642 Posts
Auto hold is very good in town - London now has some big waits for lights particularly with cycle lights.
I was a fan of AutoHold with the GTE, but since getting the Soul, I have found it more useful to use the paddles. Just squeeze the left (aaa, hope I got it right) paddle and it will keep the car stationary, until you touch the go pedal. There is a little bit of a trick, I watch the dash for the full regen blip, to know when this has been enabled.

I am going to have to download some stuff from Netflix and try the movie play facility now. Does it need to be on a dedicated USB stick where the movies are all at root level, or will it find movie files anywhere on my phone?
Mine are on a FAT32 formatted USB drive, nothing special. It is picky with the video formats, have come across a few that the system refuses to play. Navigating it takes some time to get used to, but it can handle folders. Look for the "List" button. I haven't tried reading directly from a phone/device.

Reactions: DSLRed

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,182 Posts
Unless I am missing a setting, it appears that the auto lights don't turn on after a set number of wipes of the wipers. When the wipers are deployed because it is raining, the lights should come on.​
I think you're really struggling to find dislikes there!! ;)
Why no back seat pocket on the drivers side? And the one on the passenger side is pretty tight. I use these to put my gloves and woolly hat in for the winter.​
Personally I loathe them, all they do is collect junk and stretch and look hideous after a year or two if stuffed and left.

Rear passengers also then feel incentivised to jam excessively large stuff in them, like cups or books, that then dig into your back in the front.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,647 Posts
@Todor Thanks for the tip about playing video in the car, didnt know about that. Going to load up with 30m tv episodes for long trips with charging, might be useful who knows. As for the car, absolutely love it. All the practicality of the first Soul but with all the toys and long range added to it. Although my wife still misses not having front parking sensors, and a lighter interior would have been nice.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
24 Posts
When the wipers are deployed because it is raining, the lights should come on.
Well the running lights are on so not sure the headlights ought to come on?

Only 1 week in, vehicle is superb, no issue with lane assist being on and I prefer having to turn auto hold on ;)
only vague niggle is that the defog comes on full blast, irrespective- of how much fog - still, its awesomely fast at doing its job!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the running lights are on so not sure the headlights ought to come on?

Only 1 week in, vehicle is superb, no issue with lane assist being on and I prefer having to turn auto hold on ;)
only vague niggle is that the defog comes on full blast, irrespective- of how much fog - still, its awesomely fast at doing its job!
Prefer the headlights on myself when it is banging it down.

Agree about the de-fog! :)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you're really struggling to find dislikes there!! ;)

Personally I loathe them, all they do is collect junk and stretch and look hideous after a year or two if stuffed and left.

Rear passengers also then feel incentivised to jam excessively large stuff in them, like cups or books, that then dig into your back in the front.
Not an issue for me. I almost never have rear passengers. My back seat is usually piled up with my collection of coats :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm loving the Soul so far too. Coming from a gen1 Leaf, and Tesla S85, this is perfect for replacing both. Long range, and loads of tech!

I wish it had memory seats though..

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
My main pro is the very real 250+ mile range which has utterly removed range anxiety compared to previous 120mile or so range cars.
Main beef is its not a Tesla so i suffer from jealousy when i pull out from a services with one crappy broken Ecotricity and drive past a bank of a dozen Super Chargers with two in use. Sure i can go to the next and the next but Id rather charge on my first charge stop. Roll on more Instavolt and similar.

Main discovery is the paddles, ive started using 0 recuperation now on longer journeys, makes the drive seem much smoother, its usually unnecessary to immediately start braking when you take your foot off the accelerator on a motorway when you see brake lights coming on a way ahead, and if you do need to brake, well Kia helpfully provided a brake pedal. It should also be more efficient i think to prevent unnecessary braking. On local driving i think level 1 is fine.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,642 Posts
Main discovery is the paddles, ive started using 0 recuperation now on longer journeys, makes the drive seem much smoother, its usually unnecessary to immediately start braking when you take your foot off the accelerator on a motorway when you see brake lights coming on a way ahead, and if you do need to brake, well Kia helpfully provided a brake pedal. It should also be more efficient i think to prevent unnecessary braking. On local driving i think level 1 is fine.
Do you use Auto Recuperation? I would suggest you try it, actually this should have been another of the huge "likes" of this car for me! With [email protected], the car will slow down for obstacles in your path, for example coming up to stopped vehicles at the traffic lights. Basically it will adjust the recuperation level automatically.

Be prepared for some phantom braking though, the system combined with the FCA (forward collision avoidance) is not perfect and does pick up on some clearly "out of the way" obstacles. Once you know you are clear of danger, a quick tap on the go pedal will get you going overriding the system.

·
Registered
194 Posts
spell check is turning "regeneration" into "recuperation".... combined with the paddles, raised thoughts of a defibrillator with it's paddles and powers of recuperation....

:)

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Do you use Auto Recuperation? I would suggest you try it, actually this should have been another of the huge "likes" of this car for me! With [email protected], the car will slow down for obstacles in your path, for example coming up to stopped vehicles at the traffic lights. Basically it will adjust the recuperation level automatically.

Be prepared for some phantom braking though, the system combined with the FCA (forward collision avoidance) is not perfect and does pick up on some clearly "out of the way" obstacles. Once you know you are clear of danger, a quick tap on the go pedal will get you going overriding the system.
Nope. How do you set that (he said lazily not wanting to go out and open the car to get the manual) :)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,642 Posts
I'm not sure, but you might have to first enable it in settings on driver cluster. Then all you do is hold right paddle. The recuperation icon changes to one with an "auto" underneath. You can still adjust the levels as normal with the paddles. I find it works best with auto at 0.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts