Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I use the speed limiter to really confuse the missus. Set it to 15 mph in town and laugh as she trundles off wondering what's wrong with the car!
Until she floors the accelerator past that last point and she surges off at 40 mph right into the back of that minibus of lawyers returning from a personal injury conference :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yes, or at least the gen1 as I just tried it out this morning.
Yes, as MoonCat mine is a gen 1
it won't do this with the cruise control setting though. :( at least not on the gen 1.
Yep, I was trying it on cruise control and it was just incrementing in 1mph stages. I tried it on speed limit mode earlier and it goes up in 10mph stages. That's on a gen 2 too.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I've found the speed limiter can be a bit dangerous...

If you've got it set to 30mph but not engaged, come to a 30 limit and a roundabout - flick the limiter on, car goes into max regen, as I approach the roundabout I achieve 30mph at which point the braking releases which has the effect of feeling like I'm accelerating into the roundabout. Scary.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I used both systems on my motorway epic journey from ponteland down to junction28, mainly to relieve my leg ache. I found being able to accelerate and decelerate from the steering wheel very good. I have not found it useful at all i town traffic due to constant stop start - but on the motorway I think its a good system.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I used both systems on my motorway epic journey from ponteland down to junction28, mainly to relieve my leg ache. I found being able to accelerate and decelerate from the steering wheel very good. I have not found it useful at all i town traffic due to constant stop start - but on the motorway I think its a good system.
Cruise is pointless except for motorway travel where I use it quite a lot of the time. I have also found the speed limiter to be a good feature in lots of situations such as average speed areas and built up areas.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
There is something I don't like about mine CC and speed limiter, still use it but it bugs me. I will try and explain.
When I am zipping along the motorway if I press Limiter I have to notch it down to make it activate/change which slows my car down slightly. Not a bit problem but it bugs me.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There is something I don't like about mine CC and speed limiter, still use it but it bugs me. I will try and explain.
When I am zipping along the motorway if I press Limiter I have to notch it down to make it activate/change which slows my car down slightly. Not a bit problem but it bugs me.
I've not noticed. When you press down to 'set' position it uses your current speed and does not slow you down? Of course if you're still accelerating while you flip it on it will feel like you're slowing down. Alternatively if you press up to 'reset' does it not activate?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Isn't pushing up the resume function?

There has been the odd occasion when I have pushed up by mistake when the limit is at 22 (but not 'set') and I'm in a 30, and the car then decides after a moment to slow down!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there an option to “permanently” enable the speed limiter? Like, if you have a wifey with background...

·
Registered
831 Posts
So why does the Leaf take a chunk off the range when you turn on cruise? In my ICE cars I always found cruise was very efficient but the Leaf suggests I'm more efficient than the computer.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's probably because you are more efficient than the computer.

I still hate the limiter. If it's set to 30mph I cann't get it to "kick down" or force it past the limiter. Even standing on the go pedal, it just looks at me as if I'm stupid and keeps on doing 30.

·
Registered
831 Posts
With cruise on there's maybe a minimal expectation of regen and hence a reduced expectation of range? So with normal driving or speed limiting the calculation includes some regen. Maybe when you hit cruise it has a simpler calculation with no regen?

·
Registered
692 Posts
The cruise control "feels" less economical to me. Maybe I'm wrong though. I do know that all of my previous ICE cars were using more fuel with cruise

·
Registered
265 Posts
I sympathise with OP about the fines - I had two at just a bit above 30m.p.h. and opted for the driver awareness course.

It was a good course. There was a discussion about strategies to make sure you don't speed and I mentioned when on the motorway I set my (at the time Audi A6) cruise control to 71 m.p.h and received a telling off from the instructor (even thought th Audo showed a few m.p.h above actual speed).

Somebody asked the instructor if he had ever speeded, he said yes, I noticed myself doing 31 mph the other day so immediately slowed down.

I know the Leaf shows a huge amount over (about 10%) so in a 30 mph I'll set the speed limit to 35 and feel reasonably safe. like that Waze is showing about 31mph.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
So why does the Leaf take a chunk off the range when you turn on cruise? In my ICE cars I always found cruise was very efficient but the Leaf suggests I'm more efficient than the computer.
If you are not using CC, I think there is a tendency to allow the car to slow on a hill climb, which the CC doesn't.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts