Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys,

Since I bought my Leaf I have had a few speed fines just because my area is full of cameras and it's very hard to to keep speed under 30mph every single time when we're not thinking about it.
I am always very respectful to others on the road and I don't speed even on motorways, but I have now a few 35 and 36mph fines when I driving carefully and not putting anyone is risk... This is totally ridiculous and a money grabber above everything else!!

After these fines I was thinking to myself how good it would be if my car had a system that could limit the speed no matter how much you press the accelerator.
The other day I was playing with the cruise control for the second time since I have the car and I've realised that my car already has that. I was an absolute surprise!

I thought the cruise limit was just to keep the speed on motorways without pressing the accelerator, but I never thought it could be used to limit the actual maximum speed!

No more money sucking fines from me now. Sod them.

Cheers!
I use cruise control in town all the time when its empty early morning. I set to 36 as that is a real 33 mph.. You would be unlucky to get a ticket at 33mph.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, I agree, I can be more energy-sparing than can CruiseControl, I learned economy technique 45yrs ago via 435cc 2CV Citroen, steady accelerator setting, allow speed to drop back going uphill, increase going down, build up momentum that gets you further up the next climb..it worked with a tiny 3-gears Honda50 step-thru motor bike, and on bicycles, and now with a Leaf 30kwh, or e-assist folding pedal bike.
And agree Speed Limiter very useful, esp on "smart" M62 at peak times, where the limit displayed changes at almost every gantry, 40,50,60,40.
Must try that press/lift & hold function, to jump in 10mph increments, sounds good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I never use the speedo in the leaf, I have a dashcam with a GPS enabled speed display that I use. At a real 30mph my leaf speedo reads 35, at a real 70mph it reads 88. Most vehicles destined for the UK market are the same. I have had 7 vehicles in the last 4 years and the calibration was pretty much the same on all of them as per the leaf.

I tend to use the cc especially in town, but I always set it as per the GPS, not the leaf and have not had a ticket in the last 4 years. I find the speed limiter weird, I just can't get used to driving with it, but after reading some posts on here, I may give it another go.

Another anomaly is people on here say they average 4 kw, I have never managed to get over 2.1kwh even on my trip to Blackpool when I used every trick i the book to eke out the ergs! I never went over 55mph and used eco mode with regen and still couldn't get over 2.1
Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Another anomaly is people on here say they average 4 kw, I have never managed to get over 2.1kwh even on my trip to Blackpool when I used every trick i the book to eke out the ergs! I never went over 55mph and used eco mode with regen and still couldn't get over 2.1
Cheers, Tony.
If we're talking miles per kWh 2.1 sounds very low. 4ish miles per kWh is about right, less in winter more in summer. More in town, but much less at 70 mph. Leaf is not particularly aerodynamic.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts