Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I couldn't find anything similar here so I thought I'd start a list of Ecotricity charging locations and experience with my Hyundai Kona. Please feel free to add your experiences, I will try to add them to this root messages if I'm able to edit it once there are replies. If there is something similar here already I'll delete this and copy my experiences to it.

Success
Maidstone M20 (A20) Motorway (N/S) Junction 8, Kent, ME17 1SS, United Kingdom - Working well, charged from 45 % to 75 % at 43 kw until taper.

Failure
Cobham J9/10 M25, Downside, Cobham, Surrey KT11 3DB, United Kingdom - Connected, appeared to be charging, dropped after 5 minutes
Fleet M3 Motorway (S) Junction 4A/5 Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 1AA, United Kingdom - Connected, appeared to be charging, dropped after 1 minute
Winchester M3 Motorway (S) Junction 8/9 Shroner Wood, Hampshire, SO21 1PP, United Kingdom - Connected, appeared to be charging, dropped after 2 minutes

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've pretty much given up on Ecotricity, even though I know one or two isolated units do apparently work and I've heard of some new installations that are happy to work with the Kona. Even so, the vast majority do not, so I've learnt not to rely on them. Good news is there are more and more Instavolt and other alternatives, Especially in the SE of England.
I really appreciate what you have done here though, because it's really helpful to fellow owners to know about those Ecotricity units that do work for us.
Thank you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've pretty much given up on Ecotricity, even though I know one or two isolated units do apparently work and I've heard of some new installations that are happy to work with the Kona. Even so, the vast majority do not, so I've learnt not to rely on them. Good news is there are more and more Instavolt and other alternatives, Especially in the SE of England.
I really appreciate what you have done here though, because it's really helpful to fellow owners to know about those Ecotricity units that do work for us.
Thank you.
I gave up on Ecotricity when driving my Ioniq because they were so unreliable. I now set the payment filter in Zap-Map to contactless and use those which are a couple of miles off a junction. There are some great Instavolt and Engenie chargers off the M5 with really nice pubs, hotels and leisure centres to get refreshments and use the toilets.

·
Registered
Kona 64
580 Posts
Somethings stay refreshingly the same, and then there is Ecofreakery.
Sometimes they do work, more often they don't. The only joy is finding a working one on free vend which helps compensate for the wasted attempts at charging.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just over a year ago when I was waiting for my car, I was concerned by the ecotricity situation.
Having covered 15000 miles in the last year I have only needed to rapid charge a handful of times. For my use case ecotricity have just been an irrelevance that I have ignored. Range is so good I suspect it could be the same for a great many (but not all) others as well.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
508 Posts
The kona (& eniro) both put charging needs into a different category. I feel I'll only need to charge on motorway etc when on a very long journey, eg hols.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts