Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm compiling a list of "EV Owner" electricity tariffs. These tariffs are target to EV drivers. Many require proof. Many do not come up on comparison websites.

They may or may not be better deals than a non-EV tariff. Rates vary by region and we all have different usages. Some EV tariffs require a smart meter or smart EVSE.

In approximately alphabetical order:

British Gas
Green Drive 2020
Green tariff for Electric Vehicles - British Gas
Requires EV charged at home, British Gas electric smart meter and dual fuel. Quote by phone only.

Bulb
Smart
Bulb - Making energy simpler, cheaper, greener
This three-rate tariff is available to all customers, not just EV drivers. Requires a compatible smart meter.

Good Energy
EV Driver 3
Electric Vehicle Driver 3
Quote by phone.

EDF
GoElectric June 2020
EV: Options > Tariffs

Ecotricity
Green Electricity + EV
Fully Charged Bundle
For electric vehicles

Engie
EV Home
ENGIE EV HOME Sept 21 v3 - ENGIE

Octopus Go
https://www.octopusev.com/octopus-go
Octopus might not check if you own an EV.
Agile tariff is also worth a look but is not EV specific.
Both require a compatible smart meter.

OVO
Energy EV Everywhere bundle
EV Everywhere | Electricity bundle for electric car owners

Scottish Power
Green EV January 2021
Smart Power Green EV 2021*

Tonik
EV Tariff
Charge EV Tariff - Green Energy Tariffs for EV Drivers | Tonik Energy

* Currently Limited to existing Scottish Power customers with a Scottish Power Smart Meter.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Bulb do a smart tarif (I'm on it I think !!) with overnight really cheap, more expensive 4pm till 7pm and slightly cheaper than normal for the rest

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Are you sure these tariffs are only available to EV drivers? Yes, I have an EV which is why I have Octopus Go, but I didn't have to prove that to them. I'm pretty sure that a non-EV driver could switch to Go if they really wanted to.

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you sure these tariffs are only available to EV drivers?
I'll make a note that Octopus don't check. Ecotricity do check. I had to send them a scan of my V5.

My main reason for creating the list is the comparison websites don't account for EV usage patterns or discounted EV-only tariffs.

Go is advertised as an EV tariff.

Octopus Go: the tariff for EV drivers
Octopus EV is part of Octopus Energy, and we’ve worked with them to design the first electricity tariff built with EV drivers in mind.​

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I'll make a note that they don't check. Ecotricity do check. I had to send them a scan of my V5.
Please don't just take my word for it. I just don't recall Octopus asking for verification. I certainly didn't have to provide any ownership paperwork. Perhaps they can tell from usage whether you have an EV or not.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Please don't just take my word for it. I just don't recall Octopus asking for verification. I certainly didn't have to provide any ownership paperwork. Perhaps they can tell from usage whether you have an EV or not.
I think the thing about Octopus Go is they don’t advertise it widely. It’s done through targeted marketing to EV drivers. I found out about it at Fully Charged Live last year but it was hard to find it again through the website without the direct url.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Another one that isn't EV specific but doesn't come up much is Utilitia. Their E7 rate is 4.73p for 7 hrs but it has a high daytime rate and standing charge, 20.6p daytime in my area and 30pish SC.

The daytime rate is 4p higher if you don't pre-pay

It isn't for many but as a high user with 70+% being on E7 rate it works for us.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
@andrew*debbie many thanks for this one. I dropped them a message and they called me back.
EDF offer gen 2 smart meter that emulates original EDF 20:20 meter (I still have one of those). I might just sign up to getting Gen 2 smart meter installed so I don't have to take readings.

Do they do smart meter for Gas too? should have asked.

Any how.
Day time rates just under 17p
2100 GMT to 7GMT rates 8p (I pay 12p right now)
Daily standing charge 26p.

I save about 4p per kWh for about 8000kWh for the next 12 months. Thanks for that.

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It isn't for many but as a high user with 70+% being on E7 rate it works for us.
E7 does work for some EV owners. It is certainly worth looking at. E7 tariffs come up on the comparison websites and aren't EV specific, so I didn't include them in the list.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You need a SMETS2 to go to EDF - as I found out recently - not sure how they do it - as others I know have SMETS1 and managed to get on it. So as not per their TV ads - everyone is not welcome!

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Didn't check Scottish Power because they are not taking on EV owners who don't already have a scottish power smart meter. Didn't check Good Energy because they only quote over the phone.

Based on
North Wales (MANWEB)
2200kWh peak
1200kWh off-peak
3200kWh EV charging in 'best rate' time

Annual cost:

Bulb £1,255.97
EDF £995.65
Ecotricity £1075.56 (less £70 - £100 in EH discount)
Engie More expensive than Ecotricity
Octopus Go £748.67
Ovo £1355.71 (less £94.20 for Polar Plus but I'm going to drop them)
Tonik £1270.40

Only Octopus GO are enough of a difference from Ecotricity to make switching worthwhile. Most are more expensive.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
You need a SMETS2 to go to EDF - as I found out recently - not sure how they do it - as others I know have SMETS1 and managed to get on it. So as not per their TV ads - everyone is not welcome!
The chap who called me did a check and said that their smart meter SMETS2 emulates the old ECO 20:20 meter. He said that i would be eligible without having to get a SMETS2 smart meter. After a month of being with EDF he said that he'll call to get SMETS2 installed - only benefit is not having to take meter readings though.

I had to switch gas too. I believe it was 0.0002 per kWh more expensive at 3.66 per kWh

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Right thanks for letting me know - so you have SMETS1? I don't care for putting readings in i've done that for the past 30 years!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Right thanks for letting me know - so you have SMETS1? I don't care for putting readings in i've done that for the past 30 years!
No I have a 8 year old ECO 20:20 meter which would make me eligible for the tariff. I put most of the washing and charging to happen post 2100 GMT for as long as I can remember.

Worth dropping them a note.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ah fair enough - thanks :)

I just spoke to the meter people. I can pay to have it done myself if I wish - for a modest cost, so that's a consideration. I was hoping Octopus might help seeing as the one they installed is broken in the IHD department -but no :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many of the EV tariffs have changed in the past year, so here is an updated list:

British Gas

From 4.476p per kWh
Electric Drivers Energy Plan (Sep 21)
Day: 19.04p Night: 4.476p
Standing Charge: 23.81p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 5am.

Bulb
Limited trial
Smart Tariff
Day: 13.53p Peak:30.22p Night: 9.03p
Standing Charge: 20.44p per day
Night tariffs apply from 11pm - 7am, Peak 4-7pm.

Ecotricity
Green Electricity + EV
Day: 37.03p Night: 15.90p
Standing Charge: 23.81p per day
£40 off a Rolec charger

E.On
850 miles (£30) free
Fix and Drive V9
Day: 18.16p
Standing Charge: 23.24p per day
£30 (850 miles) subtracted from your yearly bill

Good Energy
Economy 7 available
Electric Vehicle Driver 4
Day: 16.27p
Standing Charge: 29.79 per day
Economy 7 and Economy 10 available

EDF Energy
8p per kWh all weekend
GoElectric May 21
Day: 18.6p Night: 8p
Standing Charge: 28.49p per day
Night Tariff apples from 9pm - 7am. Night rates also apply all day Saturday and Sunday.

Octopus Energy
From 5p per kWh
Octopus Go
Day: 14.02p Night: 5p
Standing Charge: 25.00p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12:30am - 4:30am

Octopus Energy
Dynamic tariff
Octopus Agile
Prices vary
Standing Charge: 20.00p per day
Peak 4-7pm, capped at 35p/kWh. Other times typically range from -3p to 11p

SSE
Up to 8,000 miles free
1 Year Fix and Drive
Day: 17.91p
Standing Charge: 23.34p per day
Up to 8,000 overnight miles credited for charging 12-7am

Tonik Energy
From 9.45p per kWh
Tonik Charge EV
Day: 16.84p Night: 9.45p
Standing Charge: 28.08p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 7am.

Scottish Power
From 4.77p per kWh
SmartPower
Day: 17.33p Night: 4.736p
Standing charge: 46.06p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 5am

Ovo Energy
Roadside charging included
EV Everywhere
Day: 18.75p Night: 11.72p
Standing charge: 24.1p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 7am. Charger bundle and free Polar Plus charging. Economy 7 compatible

We're working on a tariff savings checker than can direct EV drivers towards the best tariff for their home and driving. It's still a prototype, but all fully functioning! Power my EV tariff tool

1 - 20 of 34 Posts