Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm with Tonik Energy And my tariff is

14.65p day ..8.01p night ..
Stand charge 21.93p day

That is way cheaper than their EV offering... I dont really know why they charge more for the ev offering, unless they give free polar plus or something else that I'm not aware of.

So after checking specific ev offers it still makes sence to use a price comparison site with your actual usage to get cheapest deal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Many of the EV tariffs have changed in the past year, so here is an updated list:

British Gas

From 4.476p per kWh
Electric Drivers Energy Plan (Sep 21)
Day: 19.04p Night: 4.476p
Standing Charge: 23.81p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 5am.

Bulb
Limited trial
Smart Tariff
Day: 13.53p Peak:30.22p Night: 9.03p
Standing Charge: 20.44p per day
Night tariffs apply from 11pm - 7am, Peak 4-7pm.

Ecotricity
Green Electricity + EV
Day: 37.03p Night: 15.90p
Standing Charge: 23.81p per day
£40 off a Rolec charger

E.On
850 miles (£30) free
Fix and Drive V9
Day: 18.16p
Standing Charge: 23.24p per day
£30 (850 miles) subtracted from your yearly bill

Good Energy
Economy 7 available
Electric Vehicle Driver 4
Day: 16.27p
Standing Charge: 29.79 per day
Economy 7 and Economy 10 available

EDF Energy
8p per kWh all weekend
GoElectric May 21
Day: 18.6p Night: 8p
Standing Charge: 28.49p per day
Night Tariff apples from 9pm - 7am. Night rates also apply all day Saturday and Sunday.

Octopus Energy
From 5p per kWh
Octopus Go
Day: 14.02p Night: 5p
Standing Charge: 25.00p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12:30am - 4:30am

Octopus Energy
Dynamic tariff
Octopus Agile
Prices vary
Standing Charge: 20.00p per day
Peak 4-7pm, capped at 35p/kWh. Other times typically range from -3p to 11p

SSE
Up to 8,000 miles free
1 Year Fix and Drive
Day: 17.91p
Standing Charge: 23.34p per day
Up to 8,000 overnight miles credited for charging 12-7am

Tonik Energy
From 9.45p per kWh
Tonik Charge EV
Day: 16.84p Night: 9.45p
Standing Charge: 28.08p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 7am.

Scottish Power
From 4.77p per kWh
SmartPower
Day: 17.33p Night: 4.736p
Standing charge: 46.06p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 5am

Ovo Energy
Roadside charging included
EV Everywhere
Day: 18.75p Night: 11.72p
Standing charge: 24.1p per day
Night tariffs apply from 12am - 7am. Charger bundle and free Polar Plus charging. Economy 7 compatible

We're working on a tariff savings checker than can direct EV drivers towards the best tariff for their home and driving. It's still a prototype, but all fully functioning! Power my EV tariff tool
I did try the tool but it wouldn't let me proceed as I don't have a smart meter. And it doesn't allow for economy 7 in the usage section..
But it is looking good.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Indeed, People who use electricity for heating are a different case and in almost all situations for those that have EVs it will be better to look for the best E7 rate rather than a rate tailored for EVs
So I check regularly and am now on Symbio, 12.195 Day, 6 787 Night (7hr), 22.0 standing charge.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Indeed, People who use electricity for heating are a different case and in almost all situations for those that have EVs it will be better to look for the best E7 rate rather than a rate tailored for EVs
So I check regularly and am now on Symbio, 12.195 Day, 6 787 Night (7hr), 22.0 standing charge.
Not a bad rate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did try the tool but it wouldn't let me proceed as I don't have a smart meter. And it doesn't allow for economy 7 in the usage section..
But it is looking good.
Thanks for checking it out. Yes, we have discovered a few bugs in the last few days, thanks to testers from this site!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a bad rate.
I completely agree that not all the EV tariffs offer benefit - some have very high standing charges, others have much higher day rates.

The more consumer data the utilities have, the more they will understand their profit margins in this sector, which should hopefully reduce prices! I hear that Tonik are currently working on a much more competitive EV tariff.

We are working to include all time-of-use tariffs (and to compare them against likely energy use patterns) in our tariff matching tool (still a prototype).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks so much for this, can I suggest you improve the Agile one with a link to energy-stats.uk page where you can calulate if it's better for you with actual data. Yes, it's not fixed and needs a "this is effectively a gamble on rates being similar to previous years" warning.

In our case the average rate for us EV charging + using agile we've estimated to be 8-9p a kwh on average for all usage based on our "numbers" without really any load shifting. It's likely better for anyone except people using electricity HEAVILY between 4-7pm. (bear in mind ovens use realtively tiny amounts of electricity so I wouldn't count those as "use"). The average rate for all use is 9.2p a Kwh from the stats from 2019 so realistically it may offer the cheapest rate -> and it may be cheaper if you can for example put dishwasher on at 7:30 every night instead of say 6pm.

I suspect a lot of people will find similar if they work from home, as the morning rates for your mornign coffee machine/kettle boils are not insignificant in terms of the saving on electricity. Just presenting the rates with an Agile tariff doesn't work, which is why I suggest the energy stats link.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are working to include all time-of-use tariffs (and to compare them against likely energy use patterns) in our tariff matching tool (still a prototype).
I had a go but didn't want to share my email - and it predicts Octopus Agile will cost more by £-185 compared to Go, but it won't -> our usage patterns when not covid have either no-one at home pre-7pm, or us cooking at lunchtime if we are at home. I think it needs more house occupancy data or I couldn't figure out your gui right. Needs a more simple interface for days at work/working from home selector than teh time based one. I'm also unusual in I have a 120 mile commute, stay near work, and come home the day after in a normal week -> where my partner just travels into Ldn on Train on similar day, but we both then Work from home 3 days a week. Given I can charge at work for 0.01p a Kwh, it means I only need to charge for a 240 miles a week journey effectively and have 7 days to do that (* and in most weeks can achieve under 5p a Kwh in this postcode in most weeks).

Basically it looks a nice try, but I think it needs more than average, as people knwoing their usage by the day can do a better job?

Also importantly doesn't indicate if you cook on gas or electricity -> we have electric oven, but we cook on gas on our hob. This also has a massive impact to the 4-7pm peak usage given no peaks on gas pricing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much for this, can I suggest you improve the Agile one with a link to energy-stats.uk page where you can calulate if it's better for you with actual data. Yes, it's not fixed and needs a "this is effectively a gamble on rates being similar to previous years" warning.

In our case the average rate for us EV charging + using agile we've estimated to be 8-9p a kwh on average for all usage based on our "numbers" without really any load shifting. It's likely better for anyone except people using electricity HEAVILY between 4-7pm. (bear in mind ovens use realtively tiny amounts of electricity so I wouldn't count those as "use"). The average rate for all use is 9.2p a Kwh from the stats from 2019 so realistically it may offer the cheapest rate -> and it may be cheaper if you can for example put dishwasher on at 7:30 every night instead of say 6pm.

I suspect a lot of people will find similar if they work from home, as the morning rates for your mornign coffee machine/kettle boils are not insignificant in terms of the saving on electricity. Just presenting the rates with an Agile tariff doesn't work, which is why I suggest the energy stats link.
We're working on a comparison tool that takes a best guess at the cheapest tariff for a household based on how/when they use energy, including EV charging. Having run a fair few simulations, it still surprises me how the 'best tariff' varies so much between users.

We're also on Agile, and everyone in the house is drilled not to touch a switch or boil a kettle between 4 and 7pm! I've discovered delay start functions on my appliances that I would never have known about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a go but didn't want to share my email - and it predicts Octopus Agile will cost more by £-185 compared to Go, but it won't -> our usage patterns when not covid have either no-one at home pre-7pm, or us cooking at lunchtime if we are at home. I think it needs more house occupancy data or I couldn't figure out your gui right. Needs a more simple interface for days at work/working from home selector than teh time based one. I'm also unusual in I have a 120 mile commute, stay near work, and come home the day after in a normal week -> where my partner just travels into Ldn on Train on similar day, but we both then Work from home 3 days a week. Given I can charge at work for 0.01p a Kwh, it means I only need to charge for a 240 miles a week journey effectively and have 7 days to do that (* and in most weeks can achieve under 5p a Kwh in this postcode in most weeks).

Basically it looks a nice try, but I think it needs more than average, as people knwoing their usage by the day can do a better job?

Also importantly doesn't indicate if you cook on gas or electricity -> we have electric oven, but we cook on gas on our hob. This also has a massive impact to the 4-7pm peak usage given no peaks on gas pricing!
Thank you for taking time to go through the site and give feedback.

We designed the assessment to be as quick and easy as possible - but there are options on each page that should allow you to add in all the complexity you have identified - eg. You can change the miles and availability of your car for home charging hour by hour, add in workplace charging rates, also add or remove energy-heavy appliance use like cookers.

I just ran through the calculation with some of the details you gave above, though not knowing your overall use, and it calculated Go as £25 cheaper over the year.

Comparing two Time-of-use tariffs is a challenge, as so much is down to the individual involved. We hope to give anyone a good intial picture of what they could save by engaging with their energy use.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I switched to Octopus Go 1 year before I got my EV and they don't check. EVM video on 10 tariffs is interesting. No 1 was Go and think EDF was No 10 with a 1 year difference of several hundred pounds!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking round the the various energy providers and a common thread seems to be that they don't actively advertise their ev specific tariffs, probably in the hope that most people are happy to pay a little more per unit of power. I was an existing EDF energy customer and after shopping around I could not seem to find a better tariff than the Smart EV one they are selling. With a Smart meter they are offering off-peak electricity at £0.08 per kW/h. This is from 21:00 hrs to 07:00 Monday to Friday and all day Saturday & Sunday. For me it works out at £0.02 per mile costs for my car. To do the same mileage in a diesel it equates to about £0.12 per mile. No doubt after I post this there may be better deals out there, and its always careful to bear in mind that some energy providers offer better deals depending on where in the UK you are residing.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have been looking round the the various energy providers and a common thread seems to be that they don't actively advertise their ev specific tariffs, probably in the hope that most people are happy to pay a little more per unit of power. I was an existing EDF energy customer and after shopping around I could not seem to find a better tariff than the Smart EV one they are selling. With a Smart meter they are offering off-peak electricity at £0.08 per kW/h. This is from 21:00 hrs to 07:00 Monday to Friday and all day Saturday & Sunday. For me it works out at £0.02 per mile costs for my car. To do the same mileage in a diesel it equates to about £0.12 per mile. No doubt after I post this there may be better deals out there, and its always careful to bear in mind that some energy providers offer better deals depending on where in the UK you are residing.
Back in 2010, I signed up for EDF's eco 20:20 tariff that required new meter. That dual rate is what became Go Electric in smart meter era. I had that too. Over 10 years, our usage was 80% off peak (2100 to 700 weekdays and entire weekend).
In May we moved to Octopus Agile and so far our average rate is 6.5p / kWh.

I've picked up Ohme EV cable to smart charge the Leaf. I've set IFTTT triggers for granny charger used with Outlander.

The best thing, we running most utilities any time. 21 hours off peak a day isn't too bad.

Octopus suggested I lower my direct debit payments as EDF equivalent was too high

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts