Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,109 Posts
It is the CYC app, I've only used to start and stop one charge, all the other times I've used my card as I find it quicker and easier. I have a legacy lifetime CPS card but you may need to register a card with the app before you can use it. I'm pretty sure that the app/and the CYC web page will show you if there is a fee for any ChargePoint.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Some More Networks:

D2N2 - Go Ultra Low Network for Nottingham and Derby
Charge Point Map – D2N2 Electric Vehicle Charging Network

Tesla Destination Chargers - White chargers are free to use for any Type2 EV.
https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=59.62505953579577,10.27886448577192,48.5479760024834,-17.84613551422808&zoom=6&filters=destination charger
(Destination Chargers are installed in pairs, Red are Tesla Only, White are for anyone)
The D2N2 is basically an extension of the Polar network.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
In my limited experience Tesla's destination chargers are frequently ICE'd.
I'm not sure if you're saying they should not be listed?
This is not my experience, though I do check with the Hotels in advance, maybe this helps?

The D2N2 is basically an extension of the Polar network.
Yes, but if it's in some way valuable to list Polar Plus, Polar Instant, ChargeNow, and Charge Your Car separately then the 5th version of this same network is D2N2, it has it's own card and different pricing structure, including the far more accessible contactless payment.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I started this new version of the thread as the old one was very dated and totally incorrect. I'm not trying to list every network in the UK and the first post sets out the objectives. It would be too much work (for me) to try to keep a list here up to date for all the networks. Instead, the 'main', 'large area' networks in England, Wales and Scotland are listed and links are provided to Zap Map for complete lists.

As an example of my criterion, I've not yet added Shell Recharge to the list as it still doesn't have enough charge points for me and is centred on London only. I expect it to get large enough before long.

Anyway, D2N2 is a local network and doesn't meet my criteria so isn't on the list at the top of this thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've just got charge cards for the following networks:
a) New Motion
b) Chargepoint

Both cards were free so an easy add to my arsenal of rfid charge cards.

Eventually the Chargepoint may be useful at Instavolt charge points and I found a New Motion networked rapid in North Somerset.

Both are based in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
My collection...

1. Swarco eVolt - FREE
2. Chargepoint - FREE
3. Ecotricity - FREE
4. NewMotion (can be used on Shell Recharge rapids) - FREE
5. PolarPlus (cancelled)
6. Instavolt (not shown because it's not needed. Loads of cards in my wallet that I can use for them i.e contactless)

Although the PolarPlus card is cancelled, I'm holding onto it just in case new owners BP see the sense that CM couldn't and allow it to be used without a subscription (with a higher rate tariff of course).

Obviously, the only card I should really need is the one I have already had for several years... my credit/debit cards.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
ZeroNet / Zerocarbonworld.org

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Polar Plus: says app but do you not still get an RFID card? That would make interacting with Polar units significantly easier than the flakey instant app. Both times I've used one of theirs on so called "instant" it's taken about 15 minutes of faffing to get a charge going.

How easy is it to unsubscribe and resubscribe if you wanted to, will they recycle the same card for example?

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Yes you get an RFID card or tag for plus - the app is instant only

I used instant the other day - took about 60 seconds to get going - and yes you keep the same card. I have cancelled and re instated several times - just allow 24 hours for it to hit the servers - but if you need to use it in the meantime you can call them and they will sort it.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the info!

To be fair I've only used instant twice. May have been unlucky.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I'm fairly certain that you have to use their Smart Cable (£399 for 7kW type 2). That only really makes it a sensible option for residents living in streets with their charging points (or people regularly visiting an area with them).

They also only have clusters of charging points in London and Oxford at present.

As such, I don't propose to add them to the networks listed at the top of this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ecotricity app on android doesn't let you create an account in 3 easy steps.
Needed to create on iOS first if anyone else runs into the same issue

21 - 40 of 44 Posts