Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e Niro 2020
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Where we live there is a car ferry we regularly travel on. However, when turning the car off, the radio then turns off a few minutes later.

How do you keep the radio on without leaving the car 'ready to drive'?

Thanks

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Have you tried Utility Mode?

(Disclaimer: I don't know if it actually helps or how to activate it, I just remember somebody mentioning it here a while ago and I think it sounded like it should do what you want...)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi all

Where we live there is a car ferry we regularly travel on. However, when turning the car off, the radio then turns off a few minutes later.

How do you keep the radio on without leaving the car 'ready to drive'?

Thanks
Put it into utility mode.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
909 Posts
I would just probably leave it in Ready state in P personally (but I’m a lazy old git). If you don’t want to do that then definitely use the very excellent Utility Mode. In that mode everything works inc heater, but car cannot be driven. To drive again you must turn off the car and restart in the usual way.

Whatever you do, never ever EVER use the dreadful Accessory Mode (turning car on without foot on brake). That would appear to give you just what you want but it will flatten the 12V battery in a very short time, guaranteed. And even worse, that partly flattened 12V will not recover so quickly even whilst driving. (The 12V charging routine on these cars is a bit whacky, to put it mildly. it charges intermittently whilst driving continuously. It’s ok for maintaining a well charged battery but is utterly useless at recovering a partly discharged battery!)

Utility mode is great as it will keep everything powered up from the big battery and will give your 12V battery a (probably very welcome) continuous 14.7V top up charge. It can do no harm either.
Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts