Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my car for a couple of months now and covered nearly 6,000 miles in it there are 2 things that really annoy me:

1. The volume control buttons on the steering wheel. I find it strange and counter-intuitive that the next and previous song buttons go up and down the and the volume up and down buttons go horizontally - I've not got used to this and keep changing the song when I mean to turn it down - is it just me?
  2. The size of the fuel tank. I knew before I bought the car that it had a tiny fuel tank and that I should be able to average 50mpg (which I do - according to the trip computer) but I didn't really think about what that might mean about the frequency of my fill-ups. Entirely my fault, but would it have been much harder to squeeze an extra 10 litres in?
Otherwise I love this car so far!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Excitement is peaking for me, it's being delivered on Tuesday one thing that I'm not sure if the car has or not (and will really annoy me if the answer is no) is a sunglasses compartment by the rear view mirror! Can anybody confirm? Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
The MPG really does depend on how you use it.I have had mine for 15 months and 16k miles and the MPG is 78 over the life of the car. I once had a tank last over 1000 miles and more than a month. The car gets charged at home. Sometimes multiple times in a day.

One thing that does annoy me is the rear seatbelts. When letting the kids out with child seats they do not retract easily, get twisted and hang slack sometimes. You just need to be careful but... My wife slammed the door on a buckle while it was hanging half out, resulting in a big scratch and a small dent in the painted part of the door shut :mad:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had the MINI for about a month now. Niggles so far:
1) Driver's seat belt - does anyone else find it a bit tricky grabbing the buckle? It seems to get a bit wedged in and I keep scraping my knuckles.
2) Auto wipers - do I really have to press the button on the end of the stalk every time?
3) Heated mirrors - they come on with the ignition and can't be switched off. Surely a waste of (precious) electric, and results in constantly blurry mirrors.
4) Apple Carplay - comes on every time I get in the car and activates all my Apps draining my phone battery.
5) Boot lid - sounds like I'm dropping a sack of spanners when I close it!
6) Petrol cap release - the switch doesn't give you any feedback so I tend to keep wiggling it
7) Rear passenger door - doesn't shut smoothly, I think due to a slightly protruding door seal
8) Kids isofix seats - don't fit as snugly as in the Golf

Fairly minor stuff, no major gripes so far apart from the lack of DAB radio text which is really annoying.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The niggles that annoyed me:

1. Can't get London congestion charge exemption as Mini refuse to provide necessary documents
2. Finding out it is not homologated for towing - at all
3. Bad native GPS system, now somewhat improved by launch of Google Maps in Carplay
4. Only the native GPS system displays on the HUD, would be better if google maps was also there
5. Lack of USB chargers in rear (I believe new models have these)
6. No more service book, all service history stored in-car and on Mini central telematics system, to which only Mini have access, so if you try to get service done elsewhere you won't have a service history
7. Tyres went quite early, weight of vehicle leads to faster wear v ICE
8. Based on my driving, fuel economy is significantly worse than equivalent diesel s version, but will depend on driving
9. Wireless charger cradle not big enough, if i put a bumper case on my new XR iphone it can't fit in any more
10. Can't switch on preconditioning from app (although I believe new models can do this)

1) Driver's seat belt - does anyone else find it a bit tricky grabbing the buckle? It seems to get a bit wedged in and I keep scraping my knuckles.
2) Auto wipers - do I really have to press the button on the end of the stalk every time?
3) Heated mirrors - they come on with the ignition and can't be switched off. Surely a waste of (precious) electric, and results in constantly blurry mirrors.
4) Apple Carplay - comes on every time I get in the car and activates all my Apps draining my phone battery.
6) Petrol cap release - the switch doesn't give you any feedback so I tend to keep wiggling it
7) Rear passenger door - doesn't shut smoothly, I think due to a slightly protruding door seal

Fairly minor stuff, no major gripes so far apart from the lack of DAB radio text which is really annoying.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the USB ports! I have 2 in the back but they are USB-C ports so when I smugly tried to plug in the kids tablets in on a long journey back from Devon I discovered that I can't use them! Will have to invest in some adapters of some kind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long did your tyres last? Currently on 18K miles and I reckon they will do 25K at least.

My biggest gripe is the lack of support for Android (only 80% of all phones, but never mind hey BMW!)

The niggles that annoyed me:

1. Can't get London congestion charge exemption as Mini refuse to provide necessary documents
2. Finding out it is not homologated for towing - at all
3. Bad native GPS system, now somewhat improved by launch of Google Maps in Carplay
4. Only the native GPS system displays on the HUD, would be better if google maps was also there
5. Lack of USB chargers in rear (I believe new models have these)
6. No more service book, all service history stored in-car and on Mini central telematics system, to which only Mini have access, so if you try to get service done elsewhere you won't have a service history
7. Tyres went quite early, weight of vehicle leads to faster wear v ICE
8. Based on my driving, fuel economy is significantly worse than equivalent diesel s version, but will depend on driving
9. Wireless charger cradle not big enough, if i put a bumper case on my new XR iphone it can't fit in any more
10. Can't switch on preconditioning from app (although I believe new models can do this)

·
Registered
415 Posts
24,000. once around that level they deteriorated very quickly. the pirellis are expensive to replace, i got a generic instead for 320 for the set.

How long did your tyres last? Currently on 18K miles and I reckon they will do 25K at least.

My biggest gripe is the lack of support for Android (only 80% of all phones, but never mind hey BMW!)

·
Registered
544 Posts

No. 6 - press the button firmly once, then release, then press it again - by the time you get to the petrol flap you should have heard a pfff of air being released and the flap should open.

Not sure about No. 4 - the only thing that comes on when I get in the car is Apple Music.

No. 2 - yes!

No. 1 - no! Maybe you have hands like Pat Jennings. If you don’t know who he is, he was a brilliant goalkeeper, with hands like shovels.

No. 3 - how do you know the heated mirrors are on? I have no indication mine are on, just that it takes 5 minutes or so for any dew to disappear - not noticed any ‘haze’.

No. 5 - it is quite a loud, tinny noise when shutting the boot but I have noticed that the boot can be shut with quite a gentle shove - it is easy to slam it down, particularly if you are in a hurry, or if you are like my wife, who slams doors hard just for the fun of it - I swear one of them will drop off one day.

No. 7 - no issues with any of the doors.

No. 8 - my bratlings are too old for car seats now (actually, they have been for at least 10 years, so I could have just said, n/a).

I was only going to comment on No. 6, but got carried away, hence my answers are not in order, soz!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Couple of weeks in now and agree on a few of those above. I laughed at the boot comment which is 100% true haha. Reference the petrol flap button does it actually do anything? I press it before getting out then get out and push flap in to open it - reading above is this actually meant to pop out on its own via the button??

Other comments from me;

Lack of arm rest and storage! Arghhhh. Have to take some of the blame on this myself tho but come on, an arm rest being optional?!

USB in the back - I read above saying these are on newer models, my build was October and I don’t have any, only the single usb at the front under the 12v socket. (Please don’t tell me these only apply with the armrest!!)

Unlocking only unlocking drivers door. This really annoys me as I never fail to try open either passenger or rear to put bag in prior to leaving only to curse myself and having to get key back out of pocket to further unlock!

Green mode not saving as default for next trip.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Couple of weeks in now and agree on a few of those above. I laughed at the boot comment which is 100% true haha. Reference the petrol flap button does it actually do anything? I press it before getting out then get out and push flap in to open it - reading above is this actually meant to pop out on its own via the button??

Other comments from me;

Lack of arm rest and storage! Arghhhh. Have to take some of the blame on this myself tho but come on, an arm rest being optional?!

USB in the back - I read above saying these are on newer models, my build was October and I don’t have any, only the single usb at the front under the 12v socket. (Please don’t tell me these only apply with the armrest!!)

Unlocking only unlocking drivers door. This really annoys me as I never fail to try open either passenger or rear to put bag in prior to leaving only to curse myself and having to get key back out of pocket to further unlock!

Glad I made you laugh! You can definitely change the door opening in the settings, although I think the Driver Profile selection can mess with this, especially if you use both keys.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Other comments from me;

The petrol flap button doesn’t open the flap - because it is a pressurised system, the first push of the button releases any air and the second one releases the lock, you then manually push the flap to open.

I am not entirely sure why hybrid cars need this vapour release prior to opening the flap, as all petrol tanks create pressure, other than I am guessing it is an extra safety measure due to the electric gubbings potentially causing further risk for a fire.

I have the armrest and yes, there is the old style USB port underneath it in a cubby, so 2 in total - I agree though, bloody cheek to charge extra! I can understand charging extra for the wireless charging pad in the upper part, but surely they could do one with and one without?

You can configure the door settings easily enough as ByeByeTDI said.

I think starting off in Auto mode makes sense to me - this is the setting that, if the car is fully charged, optimises range and economy.

I have tried Green mode a couple of times and any, marginal, benefit in fuel economy is outweighed by just how slow it feels - mostly Auto for me, and when I am feeling a bit fruity, flick on the old Sport button and away you go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The petrol flap button doesn’t open the flap - because it is a pressurised system, the first push of the button releases any air and the second one releases the lock, you then manually push the flap to open.

I am not entirely sure why hybrid cars need this vapour release prior to opening the flap, as all petrol tanks create pressure, other than I am guessing it is an extra safety measure due to the electric gubbings potentially causing further risk for a fire.

I have the armrest and yes, there is the old style USB port underneath it in a cubby, so 2 in total - I agree though, bloody cheek to charge extra! I can understand charging extra for the wireless charging pad in the upper part, but surely they could do one with and one without?

You can configure the door settings easily enough as ByeByeTDI said.

I think starting off in Auto mode makes sense to me - this is the setting that, if the car is fully charged, optimises range and economy.

I have tried Green mode a couple of times and any, marginal, benefit in fuel economy is outweighed by just how slow it feels - mostly Auto for me, and when I am feeling a bit fruity, flick on the old Sport button and away you go.
Mmm will have to see if I can change the locking then. That bloody armrest!

Not sure I follow on the auto mode start off - I start in auto mode but auto mid rather than auto green? I can definitely see difference between the two, agree can feel poor on acceleration (not a massive issue for most my commute due to stop start traffic) but down hill green allows free wheeling whereas mid engine breaks noticeably - this is fine when get some speed up as I flick on for regen charging, but when just setting off in mid down hill I actually need to accelerate otherwise I’m ending up at about 10/20 mph ha

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you set of in a bit of a hurry, press the engine start and pull it in to drive or reverse and it says that vehicle needs to be in P to start! Absolutely infuriating!

Then when it finally does start the boot will be open as it seems to just not want to shut!

The DAB not displaying track info.

Everything else is a dream though!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 70 Posts