Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
The key to life is in the question...
67 Posts
I was being flip, but it is actually the truth. She had some vague notions of how a PHEV could drive on electric, less emissions (our son is asthmatic), and she liked the countryman shape, and as I was paying, then she didn't need to think about anything except nag me until I bought it.
I can understand the reasoning now !

Unfortunately true mass adoption of EV (because, bare in mind that HEV is only a 'bridging technology') will have to mean some pretty big compromise and wallet searching for all adopters.

As in the previous posts about second hand residuals vs. the home mechanic keeping an older car running, this revolution will not just happen based on warm words and a desire to "do the right thing"......

The CCC report last week (or the week before - I cant remember) on the lifestyle changes we will all have to make to make us emission neutral by 2050 made me smile wryly.... I think the "shift to EVs" statement was throw away at best and the "you'll all need to turn your heating down a few degrees" statement was naive bordering on ridiculous.... As with most things in life - "someone elses problem, not mine" will remain the order of the day in the western world !

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can understand the reasoning now !

Unfortunately true mass adoption of EV (because, bare in mind that HEV is only a 'bridging technology') will have to mean some pretty big compromise and wallet searching for all adopters.

As in the previous posts about second hand residuals vs. the home mechanic keeping an older car running, this revolution will not just happen based on warm words and a desire to "do the right thing"......

The CCC report last week (or the week before - I cant remember) on the lifestyle changes we will all have to make to make us emission neutral by 2050 made me smile wryly.... I think the "shift to EVs" statement was throw away at best and the "you'll all need to turn your heating down a few degrees" statement was naive bordering on ridiculous.... As with most things in life - "someone elses problem, not mine" will remain the order of the day in the western world !
I'm not as pessimistic as you. The UK got it right (or you could say got it lucky) with renewable wind and all the energy and investment is going into that area now so we have 5-day streaks without burning coal. It is easier to do that than convince every motorist to adopt EVs, and probably much better for environment.

In fact, if you want to be carbon neutral you shouldn't be owning a car at all and arranging life so that you don't need one. Then the problem solves itself.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
My comments now that I have had my car for a month or so.
Really miss the front parking sensors that were standard on my previous Leon
Boot lid, I regularly get a warning the boot is not closed, seems you really have to slam it shut!
Sometimes I get the warning and the boot lid IS shut.
Single tone horn, is a bit cheap for a £37k car, I am going to fit air horns.
The central display seems to have a mind of it’s own on which screen it wants to display.
Had the software update so I now get the tracks on the radio display.
Dipping mirror for reversing dips far too much, I have tried to adjust it, but have been unable to improve it. The dealer tells me it cannot be adjusted. I believe the amount of dip can be adjusted using Bimmercode, but I have not bought that yet.
Occasionally the ICE fires up for no reason whilst in MaxE mode, when this happens and I try to switch back to MaxE, I get a message it is not available.
Before I bought the car, I test drove a Lexus UX and quite liked the HUD. I bought a one which worked fine on my Leon but does not work on the MINI, plus the alarm goes off if I leave it plugged into the OBD port.
One final point, the brakes on my Leon 184 DSG, were MUCH stronger than the MINIs brakes!

·
The key to life is in the question...
67 Posts
If you miss things that were standard on other cars, you are in for a series of shocks I am afraid.
Totally agree - I was 100% naive about my first Mini experience. Now i'm lumbered for the next 2.5 yrs !
I wish Arval had warned me before I boldy said "go on, just place the order !!"

61 - 70 of 70 Posts