Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in the car this morning and the orange engine light has come on and stays on (not flashing). Apparently this means there is an issue with the emissions system. The car is still safe to drive. The engine starts and it all appears to run perfectly normally. So more when I know.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well patience is a virtue it seems...

I got in the car this morning and the little orange engine light was no more :D

I suspect it may be due to all the wet weather. I will speak to the garage tomorrow and see what they say.

As usual more later...

Edit: I should have added I have (at this time) no problems with usage or charging.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well went to the dealer today this was the trip.

They attached the diagnostic system and there was no usable error code in the system, which sort of ties in with the fact there were no vehicle messages in the DIC. I was told that the software had been updated but no more than that. So until the next time something happens that is the end of this incident for me I feel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Ray,

I'm a computer novice so I can't give you much on the technical side. A number of threads at the Chevy Volt blog here in the USA mention just such anomalies showing up on the Volts of some owners. Based on the discussions these anomalies appear to clear themselves in two ways "re booting" the car by turning it off and then turning it on again as well as just charging it over night as you did.
The car can also clear the orange light automatically after a few days of normal driving. The last resort is resetting the specific circuit breakers in the car. Calling the dealer can work if they are open when the problem occurs or if you want their reassurance. I've been advised it is better to think of the Ampera/Volt as a driving computer rather then a computerized car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just check your petrol cap .. orange light can come on if cap gets a teeny bit loose .. undo it & then screw it back in till you hear a click .. that's how I fixed my yellow light

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it was not the petrol cap - tried that

·
Registered
11 Posts
had another orange engine light experience
seemed to be triggered after charging at a slightly flakey public point .. took a while to start charging, reported charged car on the point but miles of charge on the car hadn't changed, the the radio reset itself & lost some of my favourites.
after 2-3 home charges and 7-7 starts the light went away again.
looking at the US volt sites seems to be a not exceptional problem .. orange engine light comes on after poor charging experience .. clears after a few charges & starts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ive got the orange light as well.Has been on for two days and two charges.Ive tried re booting.I have an 8am appointment with the dealers tomorrow. l will let you know the result

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
I had the orange light after a bad ecotricity charge. It took a few full charges and reboots to clear it. I had the car booked in to the dealer but cancelled once it cleared.

·
Registered
99 Posts
further to my orange light.went to the dealers this morning but the light cleared itself after arrriving.diognostic carried out and the code for a failed sensor apparent.Skurries will change it in a few days.Interestingly My last two charges were at ecotricity and thats when light appeared.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My new Volt developed a persistent engine warning light just days after delivery. I read in the manual that it may go out after refueling but it didn't so I spoke to the dealer (Cambridge Chevrolet) and they suggested to disconnect the standard battery in the boot for 15mins to "reboot" the car but this did not work either.
I did not have time to do anything else for a week or so as I was working abroad but the light did go out a couple of times for a day or so after I returned only to light up again each time.

At 1,100 miles I have called the dealer again and they have arranged to collect the car next week, particulary impressive service since I am in Basingstoke!

It seems like the warning light is not as potentialy terminal as a standard engine driven car but I would like to get it sorted nonetheless. I'll post again to let you all know what happens next week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cambridge Chevy delivered the Volt back to me yesterday after a week, no problem that it took so long as they left me with a brand new Cruze which I put over 500 miles on.

The driver did not know exactly what was done but he did say that they had been beavering away on the battery.

So far so good, no orange engine light.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
At last! I got the orange engine light today :) I was beginning to feel a bit left out :) :)

Shut the car down with it still in D by accident. When I started it again the orange engine light was on and no drive. Put it into P then powered down then up again (after short pause) and all OK.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Me too!

I've joined the little orange light 'club'! Got in the car yesterday evening and it didn't go out when I powered up. Exactly the same symptom as the rest of you - everything seems to work fine and drive OK, both on battery and ICE. Power down/wait 30 mins/power up last night didn't work, neither did removing and replacing the petrol cap. As it seems to have fixed itself with some others here after a while I will see how it goes for a day or two before calling Eden Vauxhall.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Re: Me too!

It fixed itself overnight - as it has done for others. Apologies, I meant to post my original message on the original thread but erroneously started this new thread, and I don't seem to have an edit button to delete my post..not sure why.

Mike

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
I merged them for you :)
Ah excellent, many thanks, Paul!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts