Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Anybody who uses this regularly can let me know how much data it uses. Looking to start using more than I do but just want to check it's not going to eat all my data first.
It is negligible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So in the UK, are you tied to a particular mobile provider for a SIM card, or can you add any Sim card from any provider ?

Can it use a SIM card mounted in a USB stick / dongle ?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I bought the HUAWEI data dongle with a 3 Sim which gives 200mb per month free. ‘Twas mentioned in an earlier thread on here somewhere.

Plugged it in the USB in the centre console permanantly. Gave the car my home wireless passcode plus the HUAWEI. It seamlessly transfers between the two as required. Haven’t seen it use any appreciable amount of data.

·
Registered
431 Posts
So in the UK, are you tied to a particular mobile provider for a SIM card, or can you add any Sim card from any provider ?

Can it use a SIM card mounted in a USB stick / dongle ?
Simplest and cheapest way is to connect the car to a wi-fi hotspot running on your phone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Simplest and cheapest way is to connect the car to a wi-fi hotspot running on your phone.
How can you do this if this is essentially for monitoring the car from your phone ?

@Gif Does the car / head unit connect to your home wifi / a hotspot or does the Huawei do the connecting ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for replies. Going to try using phone with data at first and keep an eye on data usage. Have looked at the old thread on connection problems some were having, mentions using a macro to auto connect rather than manually doing it everyone. Very, very new to macros have downloaded macrodroid and hopefully set up one to turn on and one to turn off. Can I assume that if I get in car and turn on, if I have set them up correctly, live services will just come on magically without me doing anything else, is that correct. ??

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
@Gif Does the car / head unit connect to your home wifi / a hotspot or does the Huawei do the connecting ?
If you go into the WiFi settings in the car you can select the relevant WiFi network and give it the password. So on your driveway, do your home router. Then plug in the broadband dongle to the usb and do the same. There is no priority setting available to my knowledge, they are just two different available WiFi networks in competition.

So the logic is this.

The HUAWEI is powered on attached to the USB port in the car whilst you are out driving and the car will use it for live data.

When you arrive home and switch off the car, the head unit disconnects from the HUAWEI which with no live connections, eventually goes to sleep (it’s battery powered so charges when the car is on and shuts down when the car is off).

When you turn on in the morning, the car connects initially to my home broadband router and stays connected as long as I’m on the driveway. When the car fires up, the usb power also fires up the HUAWEI. By the time I drive away, the HUAWEI WiFi network is available. As I leave the house WiFi range, the car drops the home router and picks up the HUAWEI wifi.

Arguably, you don’t need to do the home broadband bit but it’s useful if you’re just testing stuff etc and if you set your nav before leaving I’m guessing it’ll download live traffic data before you leave home if you take your time. The data packets don’t look huge so this is not a big issue.

I‘ve got a huge data contract on my iPhone which would act as a hotspot but it’s got two big drawbacks that I have found. Firstly, I’ve got to have my iPhone hotspot on all the time or remember to keep switching it on/off which I don’t need or want. Secondly, the car/phone don’t seem to want to connect automatically after the connection is dropped.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Makes perfect sense.

If anyone has an Android phone, you could buy the App "Tasker". You could set it up to turn on Tethering automatically when your phone connects to the car's Bluetooth :)

I don't know if "Tasker" is available for IOS

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Nothing is available for iOS to do this. Apple’s security model doesn’t let any app fiddle with core settings such as this. Jail broken maybe but that’s a big step just to make this happen and not an option if it’s a work phone etc.

Even Apple‘s own automations which promised so much and delivered so little would require you to run the darn thing 🙄

·
Registered
18 Posts
but is all this really worth it? what is the point of connected services in eNiro 1st edition... (please correct me)
I dont think just connecting your car to WiFi gives you any access to anything special like the battery managment, SOC etc... not unless you use some other equiptment.
All you will get is traffic & system updates, so isnt it better to use your phone with andriod/apple auto for journeys

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for replies. Going to try using phone with data at first and keep an eye on data usage. Have looked at the old thread on connection problems some were having, mentions using a macro to auto connect rather than manually doing it everyone. Very, very new to macros have downloaded macrodroid and hopefully set up one to turn on and one to turn off. Can I assume that if I get in car and turn on, if I have set them up correctly, live services will just come on magically without me doing anything else, is that correct. ??
Yes, when you have configured MacroDroid it will turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot on your phone when you get into the car with it and turn on the car. It detects that the car has connected to the phone's Bluetooth and runs the macro. Then the car detects that the Wi-Fi network is available and connects to it and, shortly after, connects to live services to get the data about traffic, weather, etc. This process is all automatic once MacroDroid is configured. By the way, if you have configured the car to connect to your home Wi-Fi, assuming it is in range, when you first turn on the car it may connect to the house before the phone hotspot has got going. But you don't need to do anything, the car will connect to the phone's hotspot when the car moves out of range of the house.

·
Registered
431 Posts
but is all this really worth it? what is the point of connected services in eNiro 1st edition... (please correct me)
I dont think just connecting your car to WiFi gives you any access to anything special like the battery managment, SOC etc... not unless you use some other equiptment.
All you will get is traffic & system updates, so isnt it better to use your phone with andriod/apple auto for journeys
Yes, it is worth it. I agree that Google Maps over Android Auto is a better navigation system than the one built-in to the car and I do use that system for long journey over unfamiliar roads. But for most of my journeys, which tend to be fairly short, it is not worthwhile to plug in the phone, it being much quicker and easier to just select one of my habitual destinations which the car already knows. The car navigation isn't that bad and not using Android Auto means that I still have access to all the other car systems.

·
Registered
431 Posts
How can you do this if this is essentially for monitoring the car from your phone ?
It is not for monitoring the car from your phone. It is so that the car can get live data to display on the infotainment system.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The inability to monitor what my car is doing when on charge has been solved by an extremely innovative solution I came up with. Just don't use EH chargers (y)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Makes perfect sense.

If anyone has an Android phone, you could buy the App "Tasker". You could set it up to turn on Tethering automatically when your phone connects to the car's Bluetooth :)

... or, as @John Page suggested many months ago, you could use the free Macrodroid app which is also dead simple to set up. One point to be aware of though if using Macrodroid (and, I think,other task automaters) is that it can be a bit iffy with Android versions 7 or later. I use an old Samsung Galaxy with Android v5.0.2 and the free SIM mentioned above and, so far, have had no problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts