Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight on the way back to Brighton on the M25 with a route set on the SatNav it was suggesting taking J7 to join the M23 - but the overhead gantry signs on the M25 were warning of J7 M23 exit closures. Yet the car made no attempt to reroute.

So I cancelled the guidance and restarted the route to Brighton. After restarting the guidance it then took account of the J7 closure and suggested exiting at J6.

Does the guidance system not automatically reroute depending on road closures? Why did it only take account of the road closure after ending and restarting the system?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,797 Posts
My understanding, and could well be wrong, is that the road was open when you first entered the destination into the navigation. At this point, it checks the latest traffic update received and is confirmed as ok to route that way. The closure is then relayed but the car has not received the details yet but may well in the next few minutes and decide to re-route you. When you request the navigation again it checks for traffic information immediately and is notified of the closure and so routes an alternative.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
1,024 Posts
I have had the system re-route on the fly - so it does do it. However, there is an update frequency for the traffic information somewhere in the system (either in how often the car asks for it or when it is passed on down the information chain) so it's quite possible that it hadn't arrived in time to get a reroute for you. As you got it when you asked for it this time, it could be the car that periodically asks for an update.

Also, there is a setting for how many minutes a change must save before the nav will re-route, so it could simply be that the change didn't save enough time. When you started again it would choose the shortest one at that time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I waited for 10 miles or so (about 10 minutes) after the warning first appeared on the gantry but by 2 miles to go before J7, I gave up waiting for it to reroute and restarted it, knowing that J6 was very close and J7 was closed.

Disappointed that it didn't do it on its own and sooner.

What if there was a traffic situation or road closure of which I was not aware? I'd be taken right into the area with the problem.

Not what you expect of live traffic planning!
Interesting. Was it saying "Routing without live traffic"?
No. Just normal live traffic routing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts