Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd do a thread on what having a Corsa E is like. I often find test drives and reviews don't really find some of the issues that owners have all the time.

Driving: pretty good. Far more lively than the Leaf. Ride quality is a bit more bobbly and unsettled but it's a lot firmer and less of a blancmange. It's more like the Zoe R90 I had but a bit taughter. It's more eager to get up and go than the Leaf and a lot more eager than the Zoe R110 which seemed subdued compared to the R90. It doesn't hop on bumps like the Zoe either. It seems to be better controlled in the rear.

Interior does have a lot of scratchy cheap plastic. I can't hear any of it squeaking or rattling though yet so that's a bonus. The suspension is more noisy than the Leaf but I have to check all the stuff in the under boot floor section is secure as if the towing eye is in there that might explain the odd noises from the rear. Seat and steering wheel are properly adjustable and there is a foot rest.

First job has been to get the Vauxhall connect app working. The website and app look very like the Nissan one... the connect process is the same. Mine is still in the process of sorting itself out. It can see the car and where it is but there isn't the battery details yet (ie the bit I want). Hopefully that will happen over the weekend.

Most annoying thing found so far is the bluetooth audio seems reluctant to connect and start with that as a source each time. I keep getting the radio :mad: I'm hoping once I've been in it a few times it will stop being thick and just reconnect and carry on where it left off. Annoyingly getting back into the Leaf from having set up the corsa at the showroom the Leaf did exactly that.

The vauxhall website suggests you get 3 years free servicing but there seems to be some doubt with the dealer whether that applies with the ex demo cars. That was one of the reasons I was attracted to the Corsa so it will be annoying if there is that exclusion and the website hasn't made it clear. It does say Corsa E up to 10 months old so I'd expect any sold before the end date should qualify.

There are no mats as they're on back order. I have ordered some normal 2020 corsa ones from amazon to use for now. Dealer has been waiting since the beginning of time for the mats.

I still haven't found out whether you can use the heater/stereo etc while rapid charging either. This is a slight concern as it was on my list of things that would exclude having a model altogether.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
79 Posts
Nice info.
Btw i have only done a few drives in mine but i was suprised how quickly the phone paired when i got in. It always seems to be ready by time i have belted up and switched on

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There isn't the nag screen like the Leaf about sharing information so I don't have to hit OK before I want to go anywhere. That is a major bonus!

The map in the dash console which is just on all the time is brilliant as well. It's so much clearer.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine still has the bluetooth reconnect annoyance. It just won't go back to bluetooth as it's taking too long to reconnect.

Also most of the time when I press the brake pedal and press start it doesn't go into Ready mode and I can't select any gears. It's strange. Never had that happen in the Leaf. I end up turning the car off and on again several times just to be able to drive it away. It lights up enough of the dash so you think it's on on but it's only on. Nearly gave up today and phoned the dealer as it's really annoying. I must be super quick at getting in and getting the seat belt on.

Managed to find the settings to turn off the auto fold on the mirrors.

The profiles thing isn't right either. The other profiles are set to Spanish. They should all be set to the main language on the car.

I'm used to being able to hit the charge port unlock button on the fob or in the car to stop an AC charge. Or does it stop the charge automatically when you unlock the car?

Still haven't found where the battery percentage display is hidden. It has to be somewhere. Counting blobs isn't very accurate.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
79 Posts
Mine still has the bluetooth reconnect annoyance. It just won't go back to bluetooth as it's taking too long to reconnect.

Also most of the time when I press the brake pedal and press start it doesn't go into Ready mode and I can't select any gears. It's strange. Never had that happen in the Leaf. I end up turning the car off and on again several times just to be able to drive it away. It lights up enough of the dash so you think it's on on but it's only on. Nearly gave up today and phoned the dealer as it's really annoying. I must be super quick at getting in and getting the seat belt on.

Managed to find the settings to turn off the auto fold on the mirrors.

The profiles thing isn't right either. The other profiles are set to Spanish. They should all be set to the main language on the car.

I'm used to being able to hit the charge port unlock button on the fob or in the car to stop an AC charge. Or does it stop the charge automatically when you unlock the car?

Still haven't found where the battery percentage display is hidden. It has to be somewhere. Counting blobs isn't very accurate.
i dont seem to have those problems.My iphone connect quickly. I usually hold the start button for a couple of seconds rather than just a quick push and not had any issues.

the blobs are a bit awkward. I check in the app for the percentage.

not sure about the charging, will try it next time. Only charges it once.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may not be holding the button in long enough then. I'll try that. Very used to the Leaf with a quick stab and off we go :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plugged it in for a quick AC charge at home. It defaults to charging now rather than on timed which is reverse of Leaf. Can't hear any charging noise. Using the chunky 3 phase cable I got for the Zoe as the one with the corsa is small and thin and fits into the netting thing I got for the zoe to keep all the boot junk in.

Still can't see what percentage it's on as the dash display is invisible from outside the car. Zoe used to leave the display lit up like an Xmas tree so I could check.

Rear charger for home use is definitely better as there is no need to string a long cable out the front of the car. Will miss the nose charger for public charging I think.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
79 Posts
Do you have the app? You can see charging status, battery percentage and set timing for charge.

when i was charging on granny cable i could see the dash screen and the status. Think it goes off after a while but if i lock or unlock the car, or get in it comes back on again

on the media screen if you select the eco button and then charge it is defaulted to immediate start, you can change it to timed start. Not tried
It yet

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm still waiting for the app to activate! Once that happens then it should be ok but having had a few of these before they can be unreliable so it's useful having an easy to get at in car display with battery percentage on it.

App has activated. I can finally see a battery percentage. Woohooo!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unlocked car to hopefully stop charge. You can hear the pin move fortunately so cable just pulls out. Fingers crossed it always works as easily as it did this first time.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
27 Posts
Great thread, my Corsa-e arrives on Tuesday and is my first foray in to EVs so it’ll be a fun experience for sure.

Any idea if the app updates ‘over the air’ or do you need to be within close proximity of the car?

Would be good for eg to check charge status on the app when charging in public so you know when it’s safe to head back to the car 😄

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I assume the car has a SIM in it and that's how it connects. I haven't tried to check it from further away yet :)

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 64KWh Premium SE, Kia E Niro first edition, Vauxhall e-Corsa se nav (on order)
81 Posts
We’ve had ours since June. Enjoying it. Much quieter than my Kona Electric and maybe even my wife’s e-Niro. I do not like the fact that there is no way to show battery % when the car is not plugged in and the fact that the GOM is all over the place. It goes down 7 miles at a time or not at all for miles on end. Needs an upgrade badly. The Kona and Niro have rock solid and accurate range indicators. How hard can it be?
Realistic e-Corsa range probably 110-120 motorway/fast A road. 150 or so town at this time of the year. It’s perfectly adequate and much better than our old Leaf 30kwh, which struggled to do 85 miles on motorways and fast A roads, though not a patch on the Kona or Niro which will always be good for 250 miles and never go below 200 even on the motorway in the dead of winter with full heating, etc.
Haven’t tried remote heating etc yet though the app now recognises the car. To start, the Corsa needs a solid 2 second or so press of the button rather than the quick stab other EV’s need. Tried to move off a couple of times only to find I haven’t started the car.
Early days yet but no issues at all and no squeaks or rattles. Long may it continue.
My kids who have been used to driving a Seat Mii think it is from another planet it is so much smoother and quieter and easy to drive. They’re all queuing up to use it whenever they can. The mileage is going through the roof!
Can only thoroughly recommend the car based on our first couple of months of ownership.
Finally, it deserves its own thread here on this forum as it’s likely to end up as one of the best selling EV’s in the country though I appreciate it is getting more cluttered here all the time with the vast number of new EV’s starting to emerge.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Range sounds disappointing. I was expecting better than the Leaf 40 as the range was so poor compared to the Zoe 40. Leaf was about 40 miles worse per charge. If the corsa with a 20% larger battery is actually worse when the WLTP is 40 miles better then the leaf there is clearly shenanigans going on with testing already.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
79 Posts
My daily commute is 50km (25 each way)
I can go motorway or coast road
When going motor way im getting 15kwH / 100km which on 45kw usable battery is 300km (186miles)
When using the coast road im getting 13.8kwh /100kw which is range of 327km (203miles).
Thats driving around speed limit on normal mode (with B on non motorway) Im sure i will get that even better with more careful driving, especially on non motorway.

(only done 3 days commuting, temp around 16 degrees)

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
79 Posts
Just used a public ac charger for first time. Went for breakfast and a walk and could keep track of the charge remotely using the app.

when returning to the car it seems that unlocking the car did not seem to stop the charge. I didnt try and turn the radio on though. Unlocking the car also woke the dash screen and the charge status info

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wonder if the behaviour is different on public chargers in that you have to stop the charge and then unlock the car?

I heard the pin move and then just pulled out the cable. I'm assuming it stopped the charge or maybe it doesn't and you just pull out the cable and pulling it just stops it?

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
79 Posts
Wonder if the behaviour is different on public chargers in that you have to stop the charge and then unlock the car?

I heard the pin move and then just pulled out the cable. I'm assuming it stopped the charge or maybe it doesn't and you just pull out the cable and pulling it just stops it?
i unlocked the car and heard the cable unlock but waited and the car seemed to still be charging. I opened the driver door and looked on the screen and it said charging. I tapped my rfid card to stop the charger and then unplugged the cable.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I leave a dashcam plugged in so I had a sudden panic that the 12v socket was always live... it isn't. Doesn't come on until you long press the power button. Which is a relief. I was just reading about someone having a flat Niro so I had to check...

1 - 20 of 216 Posts