Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
249 Posts
Great thread, my Corsa-e arrives on Tuesday and is my first foray in to EVs so it’ll be a fun experience for sure.

Any idea if the app updates ‘over the air’ or do you need to be within close proximity of the car?

Would be good for eg to check charge status on the app when charging in public so you know when it’s safe to head back to the car 😄

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just had my new Corsa-e delivered. Potato quality photo with door open, oops.

Finding the owners manual particularly awful so far. So I don’t go mad with range anxiety, bottom left is the trip/odo, and bottom right is the predicted range remaining, right?

Had a moment of mild panic thinking that the dealer had delivered me a car with 1 mile of range remaining...they really should add a percentage gauge to the display 😂

·
Registered
249 Posts
I plan on giving the car a more thorough drive later today but so far the main remarks from my passenger are the fact the rear has no cup holder :LOL: (I hadn't even thought to check this), and also that the rear USB ports I'd promised are nowhere to be seen.

I find it bizarre the Corsa manual shows rear USB ports and wireless charging, yet neither are included in the Corsa-e's top model. Hey-ho.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did a ten mile-ish drive this evening to get used to the car. Found it ridiculously easy to drive.
Tried to activate the app, the car shows, says connected and after my journey I got a notification that a new trip was added I can review (though I am yet to find where 😂), battery and preconditioning just says I need to activate, and if I press that activate button it loads a website that says I am already registered for that service and to return to the app...so let’s see if that magically appears and starts working soon.

Rainy (well, light to medium spitting) and windy evening, automatic wipers worked fine for me and I didn’t have to tinker with the sensitivity of it, just had to flick the stalk to put the wipers on to automatic mode.

Can not for the life of me work out the automatic unlocking on the car, so am using the fob. Seemed to unlock fine when I tried to get in the boot, but the drivers side door nothing? 🤷‍♂️

Seemed to be getting a decent mpkwh, but doubt ten miles of night driving around south London at 30mph is enough to know.
First big-ish drive is a 160mi round trip this weekend, will be interesting to see how quickly battery level drops (if I can even see an exact percentage by then 🤪) at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My app has also randomly started working for charge percentage though frustratingly (and this is not Vauxhall’s fault) I cant see charge level and progress in my car park as it’s a phone signal no spot. There is WiFi down there, but I assume I can’t connect the car to WiFi?
How do I access the trip log?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did my first big drive today, quite impressed with the range I got. Where zap map and others thought I’d end with 20% etc, I ended with 30%, so either conditions were better than they were expecting or I just happen to be a more economical driver than most.

Generally very impressed with the car and am very much enjoying the drive in it, a lot smoother than my last car but that was an ICE to be fair.

This all said, I did my first public rapid charge in it tonight and ever since my infotainment display has been frozen. The on screen buttons and physical buttons beneath do nothing and I’m stuck on car play/app selection screen. Odd. Hoping it’ll sort itself overnight, but if not I’ll be hunting out if there’s a way to force it to reboot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oh. That's not good. There is a vauxhall care line but it's only weekdays.

While you rapid charged were you able to sit in the car with the HVAC on and use the infotainment?
I have a slight feeling it was turning the infotainment system on mid-charge that caused it to error, but like 30 seconds after turning it on I turned it off again because I got a phone call. Will probably need to rapid charge again in a day or two (I’m on a weekend away at the moment), so will give it a go with the HVAC/infotainment again then.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Okay just went out to the car and infotainment works again. Strange. Clearly just needed some time with the car turned off to sort itself out.
Will test infotainment/hvac next time I rapid charge.

One slightly annoying thing with sitting in the car while it rapid charged was that the in-car charge display disappeared after a minute or so, and I kept having to open and close the door for it to come back. I guess I have the app to check charge status on, but it’d be better if I’m sat in the car to be able to have a constant charge display.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am sat in the car rapid charging it again (have covered around 150ish Miles in the last 24hours on our trip away so fair enough that I need a charge again 😂).

can confirm that both AC and infotainment can be used while it is charging. Infotainment will switch on via the power button for it below the screen, AC/heating requires start stop to be pressed without foot on the brake pedal (therefore “engine” does not start but electric is given to the car).

Got out and confirmed on the rapid charge unit that power was still being delivered and charge % going up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Was driving back on a mixture of reasonable A roads and scary bumpy as hell country B roads last night btw, and have decided I dislike the adaptive headlights (if that’s what it’s called). It kept turning my high beam on when other cars were approaching, and sometimes would turn it off at the same time I was turning it off, therefore my command was turning it back on again. Sometimes things don’t need to be this smart 😂

·
Registered
249 Posts
The keyless unlock always works for me on the boot, and on the driver’s handle maybe 50% of the time?

Just got back from my long weekend away btw, must say it’s an impressive little car (though that said I was driving a 2016 ICE corsa before this). Range variable depending on the roads I was driving on obviously, but regardless of whether I was driving bumpy back roads or dual carriageways, I would have been getting 150-200 miles out of each charge.

I got a tyre pressure warning mid-journey which frightened me, but I discovered the dealer had delivered me a car with under inflated tyres. My bad for not checking before a long journey, but pumped them all up with +4psi and the car has been happy since.

Only the one weird blip with the frozen infotainment (I swear it also dropped 10% battery overnight), but has been
perfect since.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you guys in uk get live data on your satnav? Like live traffic info?
im not sure if it isnt available in ireland or if i turn it on somehow, maybe have to connect to phones hotspot?

i found the nav very good and was useful finding charges on my route. Would be nice if it showed if the chargers were in use too :)
I'm mainly using Google Maps via apple car play, but I did have to enable real time traffic/weather conditions etc through the app for the in-built nav. In the MyVauxhall app I believe it was Vehicle > Connected Services > Navigation Services Subscriptions and then I think there was an enable option there. It told me I qualified for 3 years free (presumably it costs after 3 years :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also got the free 12 months polar as well. I wasn't expecting it to work but you put your VIN into the promo code space in the polar network site. I was only expecting 6 months. Good thing really as I was actually considering cancelling as they've been so unreliable of late.
Ooh interesting RE: polar. Is the promo code space on the regular polar plus sign up screen? Mine is a lease...wonder if it'll work?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like it's mostly cameras but some other vague information about accident hotspots and such like. Not sure I'd spend that much on it. It sounds like something I'd pay £20 a year for not £70.
I resent paying anything for something I can get for free in Google Maps 😇

Seriously, car manufacturers should just use Android for their stereos/navs and have native Google Maps in the car. But I suppose that would deprive them of an additional revenue stream...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did 181 miles in the Corsa yesterday, trip up to Preston and back then a few trips across town dropping and collecting one of the kids.
We are on Octopus Agile so I didn't charge when I got back from Preston (its too expense 4pm-7pm), so it ran down to 4 miles before we got home.
The app reported that the battery was at 6% but I got 48 kWh in overnight, although I did put 4 kWh in at a Tesco whilst I was on a call and getting my lunch.
Really happy with this, AC on all day Motorway cruising at 70 it wasn't even in Eco mode.
I'm sure I could do 200 miles on a single charge.
I've done a couple of fairly length trips now too, and am generally quite happy with the range. Had a little bit of anxiety heading up the M1 from London on Friday, worried I wouldn't make it to Markham Vale Instavolt with charge to spare (this forum has taught me to avoid ecotricity like the plague), but arrived with 11%. With that percentage available, it suggests I would have got about 180mi out of a full battery. That's at 70 not in eco either.

ABRP etc suggest I'd get a range boost by sticking to about 62mph on the motorway, but I can't quite bring myself to do it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The app is pretty awful, not just because it's a bit buggy but because its feature set is basic as hell.

When charging, the only way for me to get the % level to update is to fully kill the app and re-open. Otherwise, it gets stuck in a loading spin. Pre-conditioning takes an age to communicate with the car and doesn't allow me to set a specific temp; it just makes it "comfortable" whatever that means.

The thing that annoys me the most (and this is isn't really PSA's fault) is that I can't monitor the car's charging progress in my building's car park or precondition it as it is a phone signal no-spot. There is wifi down there and the car is connected to it, but when the "engine" isn't on it doesn't turn the wifi on.

To add some balance to some of the niggles that have been expressed here (because that's two people who have commented today on our comments) I just want to express that I actually think it's a fantastic car. I'm somewhat skewed by the fact it's my first EV and also the first car I've had with so much tech included, but it drives remarkably well and its range seems to be pretty decent. Every public charger I've used has accepted the car and charged at a good rate. Zap Map etc paints a different story for owners of other EVs (the iPace seems to be particularly problematic?).

I also LOVE that it feels like a normal car inside and out. It's not virtue signaling as an EV, nor is it basic inside (sorry, every Zoe I've seen the interior of looks basic AF).

I'm hopeful some of the software quirks mentioned (such as srichard's issue with defaulting to radio, the lack of battery % on the dash, the inability to see current charge progress within the car without opening the door???) get sorted in future firmware updates. Other things I'm not that bothered by - sure keyless entry would be fantastic if it worked a bit better but I'm not that bothered having to get the fob out of my pocket to press a button.

I was torn between the Corsa and the 208, not gonna lie. The 208 seemed to have more information and review information out there but in the end it was the weird "piano" key buttons on the inside of the 208 I couldn't quite cope with. Such a bold look, okay for some, but a bit too strange for my liking aha.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Btw I know it’s a little time until we have to worry about it, but does anyone have a firm price from Vauxhall about the cost of servicing?
I see they offer a service plan for like £10pm for electric vehicles but without them being transparent about how much a service actually costs, who am I to know if that’s a good price or not.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Cheers all for the info re servicing. Mines a lease as I wasn’t sure on the depreciation of a Corsa-e given it was so new, so I’m not eligible for most of the incentives Vauxhall are offering. Did manage to get the free Polar Plus though by entering the VIN as explained on here, so that’s a bonus.

Charging cable, yep they come with a type 2 cable but if you’re in the U.K. you won’t get the fancy bag and gloves with it that Opel customers are getting. Nor do we seem to get any mats 🤔 but not a massive deal as I got substitutes for both fairly cheaply.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've got a set of free mats but they're on back order with no ETA at all.

Where did you get yours from? I got a set off amazon but they don't fit properly even though they said they were for the new corsa.
oh just a generic set of black mats from Asda. Not a perfect fit, but I tend to trash the mats eventually after a couple of weekends away in the countryside, so I buy them cheap and replace every like 8 months.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts