Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
M-B C350e, Renault Z.E. 50
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Renault dealer presented a lure that was too hard to resist. I got a Renault ZOE Z.E. 50.

How would a petrolhead Mercedes guy feel about an all-electric Renault? How would a Renault ZOE be in long term use?

I decided to write about my experiences here: Click.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I liked the first part of the blog, will need to try and translate the rest. How do you find driving an EV in wintry conditions?

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
A Renault dealer presented a lure that was too hard to resist. I got a Renault ZOE Z.E. 50.

How would a petrolhead Mercedes guy feel about an all-electric Renault? How would a Renault ZOE be in long term use?

I decided to write about my experiences here: Click.
You wont have any problems with filter bubble in this forum. All sorts of extreme views is the norm! Welcome,😁

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
577 Posts
This article has highlighted the "filter bubble" effect to me. I'm aware a lot of advertising is chosen to suit my past browsing, but I never really considered the fact that this creates a much smaller digital world where only views similar to one's own are seen, just narrowing viewpoints and perhaps polarising opinion.
In real life (pre-Covid ? ) our personal bubbles are likely to be predominantly made of people of similar class or income or creed or political leanings, but we will meet other people who will have a chance to influence us.
The recent events at Capitol Hill and the "bubble effect" are surely linked.
Great car article as well !

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,573 Posts
Will somebody do a "shameless yoh-there plug" (SYP) for the PO? ;) Good to see you here sir!

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
577 Posts
Very interesting. Have you used the CanZe app ? It now does the ZE50.
Get a Konnwei OBD adaptor or similar and you can monitor the battery temperature and battery heating etc which must be pretty important to you in that "brass monkey" country.
(I'm trying to stretch your obviously excellent English)

Your failure to charge, if the charger was working for other cars, was most likely due to the charger being poorly earthed, CanZe could give further info on that, but it seems you have better charger coverage than England. Repeatedly trying to use a bad charger can cause the car to lock itself and not charge until you do the "rain dance" as @yoh-there calls it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZOE Z.E. 50 in an arctic winter test. How does it handle the freezing cold temperature?

Click

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We got a proper winter this year. For almost two months, waves of cold temperatures arrived one after another, and everything was covered with snow, ice and frost. So, we got a long term arctic winter test!

How did the Renault ZOE Z.E. 50 handle 2 months of -20C? Read here: Click.

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
106 Posts
We got a proper winter this year. For almost two months, waves of cold temperatures arrived one after another, and everything was covered with snow, ice and frost. So, we got a long term arctic winter test!

How did the Renault ZOE Z.E. 50 handle 2 months of -20C? Read here: Click.
What kind of "Nordic package" do you have? Is this actually normal winter package (heated seats and steering wheel)? BTW as I know all ZOE50 have heating pump.
And non working pre-heating/conditioning is matter of cars software upgrade and not My Renault app bugs. You should sort this at your service centre/dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of "Nordic package" do you have?....
I have been informed that the colder weather countries get some cold weather features, including battery heating. These may not be installed in the cars that are shipped to the warmer countries. This is just based on information received on this forum and some other ZOE forums, not on any official information received from Renault.

...non working pre-heating/conditioning is matter of cars software upgrade and not My Renault app bugs. You should sort this at your service centre/dealer.
Thank you for the information. In my text, I wrote that I have informed Renault about the problems but no solution. I followed their instructions and did a lot of troubleshooting in mid-January - beginning of February. No solution. They did not mention any software update. Is the new car software newer than this?

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
106 Posts
I have been informed that the colder weather countries get some cold weather features, including battery heating. These may not be installed in the cars that are shipped to the warmer countries. This is just based on information received on this forum and some other ZOE forums, not on any official information received from Renault.
I have no clue something like this exist. I'll ask in RZOC forum.

Thank you for the information. In my text, I wrote that I have informed Renault about the problems but no solution. I followed their instructions and did a lot of troubleshooting in mid-January - beginning of February. No solution. They did not mention any software update. Is the new car software newer than this?
This upgrade is not OTA upgrade. Dealer/service centre should upgrade it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have no clue something like this exist. I'll ask in RZOC forum
This graphic is from a few years ago but I assume the ZE50 will have the same as the 41kWh Zoe has

Cooled & Heated pack.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
On early models, there were some differences in heating systems for cold countries (they included an extra resistive heater to help the heat pump get going).
As far as I know, the ZE40 / ZE50 have the same system (so includes the resistive heater) throughout Europe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hm, I could not see there is heating (or cooling) of traction battery.
This is referring to Pack heating, otherwise the 22kWh (temperate countries) Zoe would not have cabin heating which they do.

They also do have pack cooling as I have witnessed my 22kWh Zoe's pack cooling whilst rapid charging.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,165 Posts
In one of my previous messages I listed the “Top 5 Strange Features” that had caught my attention. “II” on my list was “No liner in the rear of the trunk and holes in the metal panel”. I decided that it is a must-fix design problem.

Solution - No more Fanta can holes.
Nice hack. (y) You'll probably want to protect the rest of the slam panel. Mine got pretty scratch up around the latch too. Humping a pram in and out for a few years did its damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts