Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question guys... i want to buy me a EV but there is not possibility to charge it at home for the next 3 years. So im asking myself how much of a pain in the A_ _ would be to have this situation? It is possible to have an EV that you just charge outside? or it is very frustrated?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
Take a look at Plugshare. See what charging facilities are in your area and along the routes you drive. look for convenient options like somewhere to charge close to work that you can leave it slowly charging at through the day, or somewhere close to home where you could leave it at night. Maybe a rapid charger at the grocery store or a gym that you visit perhaps?

I’ve managed many years without the ability to charge at home. It isn’t a pain at all really, but you have to make sure there is enough public charging infrastructure in your area. And ideally that you get an EV with a good amount of range that means you aren’t worrying about plugging in every single day in case you are unable to do so.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Another thing to consider is the range that the EV will have, you don't mention how much you will travel during the week so you will not know if you need to charge every day or once a week, daily will be more of a hassle unless you are doing something else whilst charging but similarly, so would a weekly charge if there is nothing for you to do but sit in the car for 30 - 40 minutes whilst it charges enough for your needs.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I did it for a while and worked out well as fortunately I had access to free rapid chargers on all my usual routes and within walking distance from home. My EV has a small short-range battery so if you have a larger battery you are likely to have more options.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Welcome. Are you in USA as flag would indicate so? If so where? It makes a difference re public charging.

One issue is that regular rapid DC charging might not be good for a car (still some uncertainty) so you would want to be able to fit AC charging in with your normal schedule.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts