Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Good read again, wee mistake here..... before I wine ahead and bought the car

Re your comment about the Badge flap not opening, its not that the motor is still running is it, motor has to be stopped before it will open.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good read again, wee mistake here..... before I wine ahead and bought the car

Re your comment about the Badge flap not opening, its not that the motor is still running is it, motor has to be stopped before it will open.
Thanks Mo. Corrected. No, motor is stopped. Sometimes, around half the time, I press the release thing and nothing happens. I press badge firmly shut, then press again and it seems to work. Can't quite figure out why it's not always opening first time.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I would put my ear close to flap when pressing button on key card see if you hear the mechanism trying to release, if you do it may just need a scoot of WD40, cover charge socket first though.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
BTW I found the inner (Black) flap a tad tight to open at times and some have broken their's, I covered the charge socket and sprayed the hinge pin with silicone spray it now opens easily.

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,512 Posts
The best stuff to use (IMHO) is what here is called "tap grease", the stuff that is used to grease the screw of simple non-ceramic water taps. It looks like butter but it has nothing to do with fat or oil. It is indeed a silicone, though thicker than spray and it does not attack plastic or rubber or metals. Yes do please use some on the inner flap hinge as the original hinge has a bit of a design fault and snaps easily. It's well documented in this forum.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I had the same thing with my car when new. A quick wipe with Autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner on the seal sorted it out and it hasn't re-occurred in a year and a half and it hasn't damaged the seal.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Thanks Mo. Corrected. No, motor is stopped. Sometimes, around half the time, I press the release thing and nothing happens. I press badge firmly shut, then press again and it seems to work. Can't quite figure out why it's not always opening first time.
I simply trained myself to push the release button twice every time I want to plug in.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,512 Posts
While nothing is truly impossible, I doubt it's a mechanical jam so bad that you would not be able to hear the lock motor. If true, it should be relatively easy to determine if it's the lock motor not engaging at all (dead silence), or it engaging but unable to really open the flap (gear noises).

Assuming it is not that latter mechanical failure, it can also be a somewhat flaky remote. If you feel like "debugging" this, you can try to use the switch in the cabin for a while.

Finally, I noticed that sometimes it takes an unusual long time between the fob press and the actual opening of the nose. As in several seconds. But estimating always under 4-5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts